Pehen22

Upgrade discs and pads or remain standard.

I know this topic has been covered numerous times but want everyone's advice onto whether I should upgrade discs and pads or remain standard.

Basically I have had 4 new tyres fitted and noticed that the rear brake pads don't have much life left in them and the front brakes I think are slightly warped as the pads on the front are fairly new but at higher speeds vibrate when braking.

Now the car will never be tracked and my wife drives the car during the week and I use it in the weekend for more spirited driving. The car is running stage 1 map at the moment. 

Now I have 3 options and don't know what to do.

1. Replace all discs and pads with standard equipment from euro parts, pagid or brembo for around £280 plus fitting. (Will brand new discs and pads be sufficient for stage 1?)

2. Upgrade all discs and pads to nitrac drilled and grooved for around £350 and then source a good set of pads, everyone keeps mentioning ds2500 pads which would be £350 for front and rear so £700 all in plus fitting. Any alternative cheaper pads which are just as good?

3. Final option is to upgrade the front discs and pads and put standard discs and pads on the rear which will be around £430 all in.

I would normally just go for option 2 but spent around £1500 in the past 2 months on replacing all 4 tyres, oil change, radiator and water pump replacement along with new pcv valve. And alongside this Christmas is approaching. I can afford all options but for weekend spirited driving what would you go for?

Thanks 

I know this topic has been covered numerous times but want everyone's advice onto whether I should upgrade discs and pads or remain standard.

Basically I have had 4 new tyres fitted and noticed that the rear brake pads don't have much life left in them and the front brakes I think are slightly warped as the pads on the front are fairly new but at higher speeds vibrate when braking.

Now the car will never be tracked and my wife drives the car during the week and I use it in the weekend for more spirited driving. The car is running stage 1 map at the moment. 

Now I have 3 options and don't know what to do.

1. Replace all discs and pads with standard equipment from euro parts, pagid or brembo for around £280 plus fitting. (Will brand new discs and pads be sufficient for stage 1?)

2. Upgrade all discs and pads to nitrac drilled and grooved for around £350 and then source a good set of pads, everyone keeps mentioning ds2500 pads which would be £350 for front and rear so £700 all in plus fitting. Any alternative cheaper pads which are just as good?

3. Final option is to upgrade the front discs and pads and put standard discs and pads on the rear which will be around £430 all in.

I would normally just go for option 2 but spent around £1500 in the past 2 months on replacing all 4 tyres, oil change, radiator and water pump replacement along with new pcv valve. And alongside this Christmas is approaching. I can afford all options but for weekend spirited driving what would you go for?

Thanks 

You’d be fine with option 3 but I went option 2 as wanted same look front and rear for the discs. Pads wise I went for EBC yellow stuff and find them great, just a little noisey when cold. If you’re thinking of EBC pads then speak to Nitrac as they can get them for a good price. Worth checking too if the discount in the group buy section is still active (NEWWEB15).

I find my new set-up a decent upgrade over stock for fast road use (I’m stage 1 too) plus they look great! I also upgraded the brake fluid so you might want to factor this in to the cost.

10 minutes ago, R-Estate said:

You’d be fine with option 3 but I went option 2 as wanted same look front and rear for the discs. Pads wise I went for EBC yellow stuff and find them great, just a little noisey when cold. If you’re thinking of EBC pads then speak to Nitrac as they can get them for a good price. Worth checking too if the discount in the group buy section is still active (NEWWEB15).

I find my new set-up a decent upgrade over stock for fast road use (I’m stage 1 too) plus they look great! I also upgraded the brake fluid so you might want to factor this in to the cost.

Thanks for the info, checked the website and the discount still works. How much roughly are the ebc pads for front and rear. I know the ds2500 are around £350 which seems pricey.

Pads wise I went for EBC yellow stuff and find them great, just a little noisey when cold.

How bad is the noise and also dust? I’m looking at these for the rear only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, checked the website and the discount still works. How much roughly are the ebc pads for front and rear. I know the ds2500 are around £350 which seems pricey.

Think it was £190-200 all in with no extra delivery charge as they came with the discs.

How bad is the noise and also dust? I’m looking at these for the rear only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They just squeal a bit at low speed around town. It has improved but still there. They are more dusty than stock but not significantly so imo. Nitrac did recommend red stuff over yellow stuff which I think are less dusty. When it comes time to change I’ll probably go for the Tarox strada pads.

10 minutes ago, DaveAberdeen said:

@Pehen22

For your needs I would go for option 3.5 🙂

Just upgrade the fronts but also factor in braided lines and good fluid (eg Motul RBF 660). For fast road driving with stage 1 tune this will be rock solid and confidence inspiring 

I need new pads for the rear too. Would you just get standard pads for the rear

20 minutes ago, DaveAberdeen said:

@Pehen22

For your needs I would go for option 3.5 🙂

Just upgrade the fronts but also factor in braided lines and good fluid (eg Motul RBF 660). For fast road driving with stage 1 tune this will be rock solid and confidence inspiring 

This is is what I went with, 

Clubsport discs

EBC bluestuff pads

Racingline braided hoses

Motul fluid 

And on the rears kept the discs and pads standard but painted the hubs before they went on to stop the rust. 

My car is stage 1 and think this setup is great, really happy with it. 

Since there are so many different posts for brake upgrades and I am looking for the same upgrade. I had a couple of questions.

I see lots of information about not going with drilled discs due to discs cracking under extreme heat. 

Nitrac produce three different grooved discs 8, 12 and 16 grooves. Do the more grooves you have increase pad wear more.

Another question Clubsport S discs are only drilled, or are these cast. Will fast road use crack drilled discs, or is cracking due to Track days.

Would you recommend Nitrac discs over others such as Mtec or Tarox 

I think by the way this post is going I will get standard discs and pads for rear, what make is best brembo or pagid. For the fronts I think I'll get grooved nitrac front discs with tarox strada pads with race brake fluid. Should be a decent enough upgrade and not break the bank 

Does anyone have the link for the grooved nitrac discs as there seems to be different types on their website?

Good choice on the set-up, only reason I changed the rears was because I wanted the same look all round (drilled and grooved). The PR code ref for mine was 1LJ/1LM which corresponds to PBD1807. You can check the PR code in your service book.

4 minutes ago, R-Estate said:

Good choice on the set-up, only reason I changed the rears was because I wanted the same look all round (drilled and grooved). The PR code ref for mine was 1LJ/1LM which corresponds to PBD1807. You can check the PR code in your service book.

Thanks I'll take a look