JonSW

Are the standard wiper blades a load of ****?

I've had the car for a month and 1500 miles, bought as a pre-reg. From new, I noticed a patch right in front of my face that didn't wipe properly. The wiper somehow misses it. I thought it was some sort of decontamination so I clayed the screen. No difference so I cleaned with neat IPA and then Stoner Invisible Glass but still the wiper leaves some water behind in the same area.

Are the standard wipers pants and I need new blades on my new car? If so, what ... Bosch Aerotwin?

2 hours ago, JonSW said:

I've had the car for a month and 1500 miles, bought as a pre-reg. From new, I noticed a patch right in front of my face that didn't wipe properly. The wiper somehow misses it. I thought it was some sort of decontamination so I clayed the screen. No difference so I cleaned with neat IPA and then Stoner Invisible Glass but still the wiper leaves some water behind in the same area.

Are the standard wipers pants and I need new blades on my new car? If so, what ... Bosch Aerotwin?

Yes the oem Valeo blades are rubbish.  Swap for Bosch Aerotwins 

Fronts A864S  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-A864S-Aerotwin-Wiperblade-Set/dp/B00W1KKYUI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1541022011&sr=1-1&keywords=bosch+a864s

Rears A282H 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042ETBEQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Get PIAA - I've tried Bosch and all the others, nothing even comes close to keeping the screen clear.

They seem to last forever because they are made of 100% silicone, not just silicone coated. I fitted these as soon as I got my car and have them fitted on all my cars.

http://www.piaa.co.uk/wipers/wipers.asp 

Jonsw I had same issue got Bosch aero twins as recommended by booth and are brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, JonSW said:

Yes Jon, absolutely rubbish wipers. And I wouldn't suggest jumping on the Bosch Aerotwin bandwagon either, as I have done twice, both times with disappointment. 

I am now doing what I originally did with all my previous cars over the years and that's to buy PIAA silicone wipers - they are the very best, in my personal opinion based on years of previous experience with them instantly noticeable to be superior to anything made of standard rubber. 

You can probably find them for around £47-£50 a set. 

Thanks all. I'll definitely upgrade the blades to something that a £30K+ car should have had to start with. I didn't know about the PIAA 100% silicone option so will look into both these and Aerotwin.

On a related note, whenever I use the windscreen washers, there is a small delay whilst pressure builds, then a slow flow, then the full spray. On previous cars, the water has come out full pressure instantly. Is this a Golf thing or is mine not working properly?

Thanks all. I'll definitely upgrade the blades to something that a £30K+ car should have had to start with. I didn't know about the PIAA 100% silicone option so will look into both these and Aerotwin.

On a related note, whenever I use the windscreen washers, there is a small delay whilst pressure builds, then a slow flow, then the full spray. On previous cars, the water has come out full pressure instantly. Is this a Golf thing or is mine not working properly?

This is a Golf thing lol. It seems to send the water to the headlights first. Extremely annoying

This is a Golf thing lol. It seems to send the water to the headlights first. Extremely annoying

Think you can code the delay time as well as headlight frequency/ delay using OBD11 or VCDS.

16 minutes ago, R-Estate said:

Think you can code the delay time as well as headlight frequency/ delay using OBD11 or VCDS.

Or better still code out the headlight washers altogether which are a pita.  The whole reason (plus Stop Start) I bought obdeleven was to be rid of the hateful headlight washers.  

7 minutes ago, JonSW said:

Crikey, I am up to 3 things I want OBD11 to do now, not to mention that my dad recently asked me what could be done with his old Android phone 😉

It’s a must have adaptation.  Just remember to reactivate them at MOT time (if applicable). I couldn’t deactivate mine again quick enough after my recent mot!  

Coding here!  

Bought these last week and love them. I can now see with no smears! Night and day difference. I also have Gtechniq G1 glass coating which I thought was the cause but it was the factory blades (car is 7 months old today)

My OH has the most juddery front wipers I have ever seen on her car and it doesn't seem to bother her, I would be pulling my hair out!

As soon as i get even the faintest squeak or judder they get the bin 😅

Edited by KDV