JonSW

Are the standard wiper blades a load of ****?

On 01/11/2018 at 11:44, JonSW said:

I had to turn my headlights off on the motorway yesterday so I could wash my screen without wasting fluid all over the bonnet. Lucky it was daylight ...

Ha - I've done that so many times. I remember my previous A3 had headlight washers for its xenon lights, but they sprayed much, much less often. These Golfs seem to think the headlights get caked in mud every 10 miles.

Well, we all like closure so ...

After cleaning the screen with IPA again, as I was convinced there must be some residue, I did what I should have done ages ago and clicked Booth's link to some well priced Bosch blades. Fitted them them just now, sprayed the screen and, guess what, absolutely perfect!

Hard to believe that a car bought with 8 miles on the clock had such awful blades, leaving a slightly unwiped area right in the line of sight ..

On 31/10/2018 at 21:31, JonSW said:

I've had the car for a month and 1500 miles, bought as a pre-reg. From new, I noticed a patch right in front of my face that didn't wipe properly. The wiper somehow misses it. I thought it was some sort of decontamination so I clayed the screen. No difference so I cleaned with neat IPA and then Stoner Invisible Glass but still the wiper leaves some water behind in the same area.

Are the standard wipers pants and I need new blades on my new car? If so, what ... Bosch Aerotwin?

Standard wipers are crap, Bosch Aerotwin not much better, in my extensive experience. 

I've gone back to my roots now with wiper blades, silicone PIAA Si Tech which are far superior. They are usually £53.96 for a set, I recently saw them for £19.95 each so a good saving now. Great price for something which significantly aids your safety in the wet. 

19 hours ago, JonSW said:

Well, we all like closure so ...

After cleaning the screen with IPA again, as I was convinced there must be some residue, I did what I should have done ages ago and clicked Booth's link to some well priced Bosch blades. Fitted them them just now, sprayed the screen and, guess what, absolutely perfect!

Hard to believe that a car bought with 8 miles on the clock had such awful blades, leaving a slightly unwiped area right in the line of sight ..

Thanks for updating - I have the same issue, been trying vinegar, cleaning the blades etc and nothing is working.  Looks like new blades for me too.

10 hours ago, Golf67 said:

I changed from own to the Bosch ones when my windscreen was replaced. Haven’t noticed any difference; both were/are perfectly fine at clearing water from the screen, at legal speeds anyway.

Found the opposite. Bosch clear the screen whereas the standard make it look like the windscreen is contaminated. Speed of travel has nothing to do with it for me.

Seriously, try PIAA and you'll realise that there isn't much improvement with Bosch and all the other so called "premium" brands.

They're expensive but PIAA is in a different league.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, GrantW said:

Seriously, try PIAA and you'll realise that there isn't much improvement with Bosch and all the other so called "premium" brands.

They're expensive but PIAA is in a different league.

I put PIAAs on my mk1 Focus RS, amazing. Bosch blades and rain-x on the Golf do a very similar job.

Found the opposite. Bosch clear the screen whereas the standard make it look like the windscreen is contaminated. Speed of travel has nothing to do with it for me.

There is night and day difference between the standard OEMs smearing the screen and the Bosch ones clearing ability. I have my screen coated in G techniq too as stated above which can make a huge difference as some wiper blades perform better with coatings and some perform worse with coatings. I could not get a clearer wipe after each pass so cannot understand why people are slating the Bosch’s unless the coating is working with the Bosch Aerotwins to improve their performance.

I have tried the Bosch aerotwins on an A3 8p and didn’t see any improvement in performance over the OEM blades so was sceptical and not expecting much better so was impressed how well they worked over the OEM blades on the R.

I have wiper OCD as well where I have changed wiper blades monthly on other cars till I have found the ones that work best. The PIAA’s were next on my list if the Bosch’s were not up to my OCD levels of wiping but haven’t had to go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put PIAAs on my mk1 Focus RS, amazing. Bosch blades and rain-x on the Golf do a very similar job.
Yes agree, the Bosch work better with RainX, but so do any blades.

The PIAA don't need RainX and keep laying down a rain repellent layer and they seem to last forever, whereas other blades dry out.

So the cost per mile is less in my experience.

I do 25k miles per annum, most of which is motorway. With RainX you don't need to use the wipers anywhere near as much, it's the same with PIAA blades.

Never used RainX (loathe the stuff) with Bosch blades, never had any need to use any glass coating with them.  I prefer to have a virgin windscreen. Ime, Bosch Aerotwins work perfectly on their own and have always performed faultlessly on my cars.  I’m sure PIAA are excellent too and great to have a couple good choices over the oems.  As long as they work that’s all that counts! 

I’ve had 4x mk7 Golfs, 2x mk6 and 2x mk5 and never an issue with the standard wipers. That includes repeated fast trips over Dartmoor then Bodmin moor in some really foul weather. 

Admittedly when replacing the wipers I go for Bosch as I’m not paying VW rip off prices when I can get supposedly superior wipers for less money from the usual online discount retailers. 

Yet I've just replaced a pair of OEM BMW wiper blades with dealer supplies ones and they’re definitely not as good as the worn out ones they were replacing. 

A quick fix that can extend wiper life is to rub fresh powdered graphite into the rubber. This works as long as the blade is still a straight continuous edge and they haven't gone dry, stiff or cracked due to old age.

As soon as you notice the performance of the blade drop off, if it gets shudders or smears give the blade edge a clean with isopropyl, wipe over with a generous spray of silicone spray lube then coat in graphite powder, rubbed well in.

Next, clean the screen glass with standard ammonia cleaner to shift built up crud.

This should give a smooth wipe that may last a few weeks or longer if the blade is physically ok. DONT clean the blade in following weeks, just the windscreen. This helps keep the graphite in place!

A fresh coat of RainX or similar can help with the glide of wipers over the glass.