Jump to content
JonSW

Are the standard wiper blades a load of ****?

Recommended Posts

New here but not long picked up a 2016 Golf R. I found the rear wiper was total rubbish and was screeching every time it was used so went and replaced it with a Bosch instead. Going to replace the fronts as well with Bosch's also even though the fronts aren't that bad but it's nice to have a complete new set on a new car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A quick fix that can extend wiper life is to rub fresh powdered graphite into the rubber. This works as long as the blade is still a straight continuous edge and they haven't gone dry, stiff or cracked due to old age.
As soon as you notice the performance of the blade drop off, if it gets shudders or smears give the blade edge a clean with isopropyl, wipe over with a generous spray of silicone spray lube then coat in graphite powder, rubbed well in.
Next, clean the screen glass with standard ammonia cleaner to shift built up crud.
This should give a smooth wipe that may last a few weeks or longer if the blade is physically ok. DONT clean the blade in following weeks, just the windscreen. This helps keep the graphite in place!
A fresh coat of RainX or similar can help with the glide of wipers over the glass.
That's a lot of faffing about, you could save the agro and get PIAA blades, they top the screen up themselves.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seriously, try PIAA and you'll realise that there isn't much improvement with Bosch and all the other so called "premium" brands.

They're expensive but PIAA is in a different league.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk




Where’s the best/cheapest place to buy them online?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GrantW said:

That's a lot of faffing about, you could save the agro and get PIAA blades, they top the screen up themselves.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
 

Ah it's not too hard, take 5 mins.

Ive learnt not to clean the wiper blades after 20 years to help preserve the graphite coating!

The PIAA ones here are $60AU each, seems like a rip (compared to $35 for a pair of normal ones) - how long do they last really? I have tried silicones on other cars and found they get the same issues after time but last a bit longer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, R-Estate said:

 


Where’s the best/cheapest place to buy them online?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Ebay. £19.95 each wiper. Usually cost £53 - £54 a pair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes, 26 and 18.
 


Cheers for that. Powerbulbs is the seller but they don’t have any 26” listed so have contacted them. If not performance bulbs do them with 20% off so £24 each. Will report back on whether I think they’re a decent improvement over the Bosch blades.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

Have you all not tried rainX? No need for wipers apart from really bad downpours, the rain just sheets off at anything over than a crawl

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 

 

I was kindly given a cartridge of Aquapel. I intend to clean my screen to within an inch of it's life and apply it. It will be my first ever trial of a windscreen treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JonSW said:

 

I was kindly given a cartridge of Aquapel. I intend to clean my screen to within an inch of it's life and apply it. It will be my first ever trial of a windscreen treatment.

I used to be a Rain-X fan, but found that while it was excellent when freshly applied it didn't last very long so I had to keep re-applying it to prevent the dreaded smearing effect (most noticeable when cold).

 

These days I use Aquapel, while it's not quite as good as fresh Rain-X, it lasts at least 2 - 3 times longer before needing a re-application. 

 

Of course your weather conditions and driving requirements may be different to mine (it is pretty dry where I live, so not very frequent rain).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, R-Estate said:

 


Cheers for that. Powerbulbs is the seller but they don’t have any 26” listed so have contacted them. If not performance bulbs do them with 20% off so £24 each. Will report back on whether I think they’re a decent improvement over the Bosch blades.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Ebay. £19.95 each. 

 

Screenshot_20190113-134630_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190113-134620_eBay.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

Have you all not tried rainX? No need for wipers apart from really bad downpours, the rain just sheets off at anything over than a crawl

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 

 

I used to use Rain X in the 90’s, but found it caused ghosting on the screen at night behind every wipe, I didn’t like it so haven’t used it since! Does anyone know if the formula been improved since?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wagon R said:

 

I used to use Rain X in the 90’s, but found it caused ghosting on the screen at night behind every wipe, I didn’t like it so haven’t used it since! Does anyone know if the formula been improved since?

 

I last used RainX about 6 years ago and had problems with it similar to you, plus it was absolutely terrible for causing wiper judder.  Not used it since.  I prefer nothing on my front windscreen, but if you do want a rain repellent, there’s a lot better out there than RainX.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
I last used RainX about 6 years ago and had problems with it similar to you, plus it was absolutely terrible for causing wiper judder.  Not used it since.  I prefer nothing on my front windscreen, but if you do want a rain repellent, there’s a lot better out there than RainX.  
Must be improved as no judder, and the whole point is no wipers needed anyway unless it's absolutely torrential ie you would have wipers on full speed!

Will have to try the newer stuff mentioned above though, sounds even better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×