Pete—c

Golf r to s3 saloon

If you've got a dsg and don't care about driver involvement, may as well. Less fun than the R but a bit more luxurious.
Agreed, I miss the luxury of my Jag but I wanted something different, I love the DSG

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't go far as saying it's more luxurious - its a bit better on the interior, but thats it....'a bit'. It's more different than better.

The seats can be more luxurious, but it will cost some serious money to get the top end ones.

If you're willing to pay the price, just about everything in the S3 is of a higher quality than the Golf ...just don't go piling into a bend, mash the brake pedal and expect the same level of control from the Audi - because despite the stiff ride, feedback is somewhat "numb" in comparison ...no matter what tyres you choose.

Agree with all of above. Have an R and dad has an S3 saloon. Looks great, nice interior but didn't get on the the vague steering and magnetic dampers.

He had the rear top mounts changed under warranty due to a thump from the back over bumps but they never felt right. Felt like they were poorly damped despite spending majority of the time in comfort.

He is selling and has just bought a 7.5 R estate which he prefers in almost every way.

Hope it helps

My son has a 2018 S3 black edition with a tech pack, it's a lovely car and the interior is very nice, however,  you don't feel as connected when 'pushing on' a bit, the Golf is a better drivers car. 

Mmmm I quite fancied one. Gonna have a test drive just to see what I think of it. I like the golf but loads of them around here. Lesss3 saloons. I just think they look nice. And a bit more grown up 

2 minutes ago, podpod said:

not driven the S3 but... if the drivetrain is the same on both cars,

could it be geometry differences that result in the different feel/handling? 

My Sons S3 is on 18's my R on 19's, the Audi is more compliant, despite the tyre wall differences I'm confident in saying it would still be a softer ride on 19's. The R turns in better and the steering is most definitely more positive. 

For me the S3 exterior is hard to beat and the RS3 Saloon 🤯

The interior is a much higher quality than the R’s but I really don’t like how cramped it is in the S3 plus the MMI isn’t for me either, the difference in steering feel is a factor but the interior more so IMO. The S3 does sound better than the R though but not by much anyway.

I would go for an R every time purely for the interior difference as I have mentioned but everyone has a different taste.