I presume you have Sport Contact  5P Tyres ? 

From a noise aspect the Contis are rated 72dB's, pretty much the same as the competitors ( Michelin 71, Pirelli P Zero 72)..... 235 tyres are never going to be quiet due to the fact that there's so much material contacting the road. Providing the pressures are correct, on standard suspension I think the car rides very well for a performance car with such incredible handling. My car doesn't have DCC and the ride is fine . How long have you had the car, what mileage has it done ? 

The ride on 19s will always be slightly less forgiving than on 18s.  That said, I replaced my Conti 5Ps (which I rated pretty highly) with Michelin PS4S (19s) and found the MPS4S to be superior in every way, and noticeably less noisy, more compliant and impact absorbing on our poor roads.  This is comparing both on a car with DCC but usually set to Sport or Normal.  

I've left the standard 18's on my order,  primarily for extra comfort and durability....but I expect they will come with the rubbish Flintstone tyres (Bridgestone). Will have to get them changed out to PS4's as soon as.

The noise ratings on tyres are also pretty useless - as they are just a measure of white noise from outside the car and not inside, so they never take account of tyre resonance or drone that can only be felt/heard through the car's chassis. 

The Michelin PS4's are a brilliant tyre - but first 500 miles or so can be  droney (deep LF resonance) on rough surfaces. This does wear off though. The drone is pressure dependent so for first 1k miles on these i run at lower pressures to cut the edge off the drone. Regardless i wont be running more more than 34 psi (cold pressure) all round on the R, the higher the pressure the worse the ride and greater the drone noise through resonance. I only ever ran 30psi cold on my Mk6 GT and that weighs a good 150kg less than the R.

I've done lots of tyre experiments over the years  - I did a study on it a couple of years ago, even experimented with various types of foam glued inside the tyre to cut down on cavity resonance that becomes a problem when you install noise insulation on the car - the reduction in normal road surface white noise (tyre roar), means you now can hear the cavity resonance more as the white noise was masking it - it becomes highly annoying.

Quietest tyres i ever tested were Dunlop Sport Maxx RT (not RT2) - they were incredibly quiet, no resonance, less than half the tyre white noise compared to others. However they had poor handling - pretty squidgy soft sidewalls, lacked any steering feel and had a knife edge loss of grip (reasonable grip to a point then would go completely, had snap back oversteer on an unmodified FWD Golf Mk6 GT with ESC on!)

I've left the standard 18's on my order,  primarily for extra comfort and durability....but I expect they will come with the rubbish Flintstone tyres (Bridgestone). Will have to get them changed out to PS4's as soon as.

The noise ratings on tyres are also pretty useless - as they are just a measure of white noise from outside the car and not inside, so they never take account of tyre resonance or drone that can only be felt/heard through the car's chassis. 

The Michelin PS4's are a brilliant tyre - but first 500 miles or so can be  droney (deep LF resonance) on rough surfaces. This does wear off though. The drone is pressure dependent so for first 1k miles on these i run at lower pressures to cut the edge off the drone. Regardless i wont be running more more than 34 psi (cold pressure) all round on the R, the higher the pressure the worse the ride and greater the drone noise through resonance. I only ever ran 30psi cold on my Mk6 GT and that weighs a good 150kg less than the R.

I've done lots of tyre experiments over the years  - I did a study on it a couple of years ago, even experimented with various types of foam glued inside the tyre to cut down on cavity resonance that becomes a problem when you install noise insulation on the car - the reduction in normal road surface white noise (tyre roar), means you now can hear the cavity resonance more as the white noise was masking it - it becomes highly annoying.

Quietest tyres i ever tested were Dunlop Sport Maxx RT (not RT2) - they were incredibly quiet, no resonance, less than half the tyre white noise compared to others. However they had poor handling - pretty squidgy soft sidewalls, lacked any steering feel and had a knife edge loss of grip (reasonable grip to a point then would go completely, had snap back oversteer on an unmodified FWD Golf Mk6 GT with ESC on!)

Jags used to come with Dunlop maxxs we called them Dunslips 340bhp, 600lbsft RWD in the wet was scary! Swapped them for MPPS as quick as, almost £1k for 4 tyres :(

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure exactly how bad the roads are there in the UK..But here in NZ I've never had any issue with road noise from tires in any car I've driven...(including my Golf R which is currently on Pirelli P Zeros):)....The UK roads must be really bad!!:wacko::blink::unsure:

5 hours ago, goodbadboy said:

I'm not sure exactly how bad the roads are there in the UK..But here in NZ I've never had any issue with road noise from tires in any car I've driven...(including my Golf R which is currently on Pirelli P Zeros):)....The UK roads must be really bad!!:wacko::blink::unsure:

One of the problems here in the UK is a rising trend to resurface some roads as cheaply as possible - where they just throw a layer of tar down and cover it with tiny stones (tar and chip or chipseal as it's called). It's nasty, and incredibly noisy making some tyres resonate horribly. There can be miles and miles of this stuff in some places.

Then those which have not been resurfaced, should have been years ago - so now the top layer has deteriorated and you end up with pits, grooves, and just chunks missing. Where pot holes have formed they just fill them, where in fact the whole road should have been resurfaced a decade ago.

Like most things in the UK - there is little forward planning. We'll use the cheapest and quickest ways of doing something as it will fit in this years budget, never mind the fact all it takes is one cold winter and the stuff starts falling to bits - that's a problem for next year, or the next government, or someone else. 

I like Continental sportcontact 5p, they have that rim protector. Do othershave it? 

I have DCC and 19’s.... in comfort modethe car is like our Polo R line. DCC is a necessity imho, especially as you get older 😜

1 hour ago, garrardrj said:

I like Continental sportcontact 5p, they have that rim protector. Do othershave it? 

I’ve had 2 sets of Conti 5Ps with rim protector (on a GTI) and one set without, and ime the rim protector does little or nothing to protect the rim. In fact I found that the non rim protector version of the 5P, strange as it may sound, ironically offered more protection to the wheel rim (especially in the case of diamond cut alloys). The rim protector is an inadequate lip which does nothing to save the wheel, whereas the non RP tyre stands further away, proud of the rim and by virture of this offers more protection. That was my experience of both anyway.   I was glad to find Michelin PS4S don’t have a rim protector.  

Some folks also seem to run less than VWs recommendation of 38psi

Is this safe to do, beneficial??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, GaryP said:

Some folks also seem to run less than VWs recommendation of 38psi

Is this safe to do, beneficial??

Tyre pressure stickers vary quite a bit across different Rs (for both 18s and 19s).  There’s been previous threads on it. Mine is recommended at 36psi front and back on 19s.  Originally it was in Conti 5Ps but I’ve swapped to PS4S. I’ve run mostly at the sticker recommendation but sometimes at 38psi but currently on 36psi and feels right. 

My sticker

0DC2389E-EB33-4BF4-AD70-45C8E5384BF5.thumb.jpeg.5c0c3c7330bb4f4c5cdf1a9f5e9f03b3.jpeg

Tyre pressure stickers vary quite a bit across different Rs (for both 18s and 19s).  There’s been previous threads on it. Mine is recommended at 36psi front and back on 19s.  Originally it was in Conti 5Ps but I’ve swapped to PS4S. I’ve run mostly at the sticker recommendation but sometimes at 38psi but currently on 36psi and feels right. 

My sticker
0DC2389E-EB33-4BF4-AD70-45C8E5384BF5.thumb.jpeg.5c0c3c7330bb4f4c5cdf1a9f5e9f03b3.jpeg

My sticker says 38 front and rear for my Estate. Wonder if it’s cos I’m on 18” that it’s different rather than it being an Estate.

When I was getting my (second hand) Pretorias tidied up the guys at the refurbishment company, whom I've know for a very long time and have been in the business forever, told me to run the tyres at the higher end of the tyre pressure recommendations to assist with protecting the wheels from pothole damage.

So possibly some very good advice there even if that means a rock hard ride!

Having said that I've not checked my pressures for months on end...

D'oh!

:D