Raiden

Changing jobs?

Wow had a shock today.  I work in bathroom sales in my hometown in North London and i've been here 17 years.  Today a sales rep was doing the rounds and he said do you know this showroom were you live (in Hertfordshire)?  I said yes its a 5 min walk from my flat.  He said OK there looking for someone to join the team who knows the products well so I thought of you.  And I laughed and said I asked in there 12 years ago when I first got married and moved up there and they were not paying well.  He told me what there offering and it's a lot more than what I am on now.

Money wise it is a bit of a no brainer but I am very comfortable where I am and don't work very hard.  My boss we get on and I can more or less do what I want but money talks.  Where I am is small so I know my boss won't get near what this place is offering plus in the next 5-7 years I think he will retire but I don't want to take it on.  When the shop is not busy i'm just waiting tv and playing football manager but it is a 40 mile round trip everyday.

The owner my wife knows and she says he is a bit of a d!ck but it's a good wage so she's unsure what I should do.  Is it better the devil you know or is it worth taking on a new challenge?  The owner is calling me tonight to talk about it.  If I like the sound of it and go for an interview i'll see if my boss could up my money.  But this new place I know I will have to work hard for the money plus i'd have to work Sats in there

Wow had a shock today.  I work in bathroom sales in my hometown in North London and i've been here 17 years.  Today a sales rep was doing the rounds and he said do you know this showroom were you live (in Hertfordshire)?  I said yes its a 5 min walk from my flat.  He said OK there looking for someone to join the team who knows the products well so I thought of you.  And I laughed and said I asked in there 12 years ago when I first got married and moved up there and they were not paying well.  He told me what there offering and it's a lot more than what I am on now.

Money wise it is a bit of a no brainer but I am very comfortable where I am and don't work very hard.  My boss we get on and I can more or less do what I want but money talks.  Where I am is small so I know my boss won't get near what this place is offering plus in the next 5-7 years I think he will retire but I don't want to take it on.  When the shop is not busy i'm just waiting tv and playing football manager but it is a 40 mile round trip everyday.

The owner my wife knows and she says he is a bit of a d!ck but it's a good wage so she's unsure what I should do.  Is it better the devil you know or is it worth taking on a new challenge?  The owner is calling me tonight to talk about it.  If I like the sound of it and go for an interview i'll see if my boss could up my money.  But this new place I know I will have to work hard for the money plus i'd have to work Sats in there
No harm seeing what he says/offers but as you say it's not always just about money although a good wage helps ease the pain and all that... good luck whatever you end up doing

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tough one! Suss the new boss out, see what your current boss can come up with and weigh it up then, with your Mrs preferably. I suspect personally I'd rather be happy if poorer as long as the pay gap wasn't too much but that's just me. I'd guess that the Saturday working sort of cancels out the potential much shorter (and cheaper) commute?

Best of luck however you go.

When the rep said what there offering my mouth dropped and the rep said 'oh is that not enough?, I think you could squeeze a bit more money out of them'  In my head I was thinking 'f**K me' i'd be willing to take less then what's on the table lol'

Prob about 5 or 6 years ago I almost left for another place but that was further in London.  When I said to my boss i'm going he was on the floor saying please stay how much do you want?  So I told the other shop sorry I am going to stay as I didn't expect this to happen.  He then said what's your boss offering as i'll give you more.  I declined 

Bathrooms sales is very very very boring but it's hard to find anyone who knows what there doing.  My boss pays for half my fuel and he pays for my mobile phone as well but at the new place even if I had to pay all that myself its still better than what I get now

Had a similar type thing happen where I am now although an internal move, they wanted me to move to permanent nights to fill a particular role. They made me a good offer as I was fairly new to the company but I knew what the existing guys were earning and asked for the same (nor being greedy).
They came back and said that all the other nights managers had been there 20+ years so that's why they were paid what they were... I said ok well why are none of those filling this exact role?
They gave me what I wanted

Tough one ,I changed jobs a year back from HGV to delivering shopping less money but my health improved and I work 4 days 10 hours  so more time with family so I guess you need to way up a few things,your health if the new job offers more stress then think about it ,the work home balance and the long term prospects ,pensions and employment security maybe you need the challenge but maybe not this job the most important thing is the wife so talk it through and maybe talk with a friend as well for an outsiders view you trust .i wish you all the luck and am sure the right choice will be made 

Tricky one. Whilst money is nice it isn’t always the solution. I was made redundant from a very well paid job just over 5 years ago. I found another job pretty quickly, but initially at a lot less money (but still pretty good compared to other people I know)

I am a lot less stressed now, and loving just doing my job with no hassle. Guess i’m a bit older than you (mid 50s) and therefore money maybe isn’t the driver for me any more, as long as I have enough to live a modest lifestyle i’m happy.

Talk it over with your other half, weigh up the pros and cons, and good luck

Tricky one. Whilst money is nice it isn’t always the solution. I was made redundant from a very well paid job just over 5 years ago. I found another job pretty quickly, but initially at a lot less money (but still pretty good compared to other people I know)

I am a lot less stressed now, and loving just doing my job with no hassle. Guess i’m a bit older than you (mid 50s) and therefore money maybe isn’t the driver for me any more, as long as I have enough to live a modest lifestyle i’m happy.

Talk it over with your other half, weigh up the pros and cons, and good luck
Wise words, almost identical situation with redundancy and less paid job although I've worked my way back up to previous levels and didn't dip in to my redundancy money hence the R

4 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

Wise words, almost identical situation with redundancy and less paid job although I've worked my way back up to previous levels and didn't dip in to my redundancy money hence the R emoji16.png

Took me 4 years to get back to close to what I was on. Even turned down a promotion last year as didn’t need the hassle.

Luckily didn’t touch my redundancy either, used it to buy a property that I now rent out near Gatwick...

I'm going for a chat with them on the 21st of Dec to meet the team and he was happy with what I had to say.

Money is good but there is 4 of them in sales and I'd have to work 2 in every 3 Saturdays plus 8 days less holiday. Where I'm at now it's just me which I like.

But I'll see what the wife thinks of it. Only if my boss goes on holiday I'll work a Saturday and if I'm in charge I tell the Saturday woman we are opening at 10am and not 9 . And I don't care what you do but I'm watching Netflix when no customers are about so if you do nothing all day I'm not bothered . Would never get away with that at the new place

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Raiden said:

I'm going for a chat with them on the 21st of Dec to meet the team and he was happy with what I had to say.

Money is good but there is 4 of them in sales and I'd have to work 2 in every 3 Saturdays plus 8 days less holiday. Where I'm at now it's just me which I like.

But I'll see what the wife thinks of it. Only if my boss goes on holiday I'll work a Saturday and if I'm in charge I tell the Saturday woman we are opening at 10am and not 9 . And I don't care what you do but I'm watching Netflix when no customers are about so if you do nothing all day I'm not bothered emoji23.png. Would never get away with that at the new place

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Speak to your current boss and explain the situation to him, he may up your money a bit to keep you and you stay in what sounds like a stress free job with more holidays, a good boss and your Saturdays are free. 

This new place will probably have targets to meet each month which I imagine brings or can bring a lot of extra stress to hit them and in a big/bigger company they always want more. (assuming from what you say you dont have targets now or high targets).