Raiden

Changing jobs?

Some very sound advice by all here. Personally, I’d speak to your current boss and see if he could give you a bit more. I’m staring down the barrel of redundancy at the moment but it looks like I have a job to go straight into in the new year. A bit less money but WAY less hassle- I certainly won’t be working 37 hours in two days and away from home anything like as much. Sometimes, it’s not all about the money but I’m 48 and well into a mortgage that’s only got 0.75% interest on it so my situation might be different to yours. On top of that, the new job I’m looking at has a boss who is visible, knows the crane industry and isn’t some overpaid, faceless, corporate idiot. Our CEO is a trained barrister, our senior HR partner is a trained barrister - both think the crane industry can be done using zero hours contracts. My depot manager who, in fairness is a good bloke, has a degree and knows nothing about the technical nuances and day to day hassles of operating a crane - hence why we are where we are. I’d stick with the smaller guy myself, especially if the other guy is a bellend and you’d have to work those Saturdays - family time doesn’t have a monetary value!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Raiden said:

Wow had a shock today.  I work in bathroom sales in my hometown in North London and i've been here 17 years.  Today a sales rep was doing the rounds and he said do you know this showroom were you live (in Hertfordshire)?  I said yes its a 5 min walk from my flat.  He said OK there looking for someone to join the team who knows the products well so I thought of you.  And I laughed and said I asked in there 12 years ago when I first got married and moved up there and they were not paying well.  He told me what there offering and it's a lot more than what I am on now.

Money wise it is a bit of a no brainer but I am very comfortable where I am and don't work very hard.  My boss we get on and I can more or less do what I want but money talks.  Where I am is small so I know my boss won't get near what this place is offering plus in the next 5-7 years I think he will retire but I don't want to take it on.  When the shop is not busy i'm just waiting tv and playing football manager but it is a 40 mile round trip everyday.

The owner my wife knows and she says he is a bit of a d!ck but it's a good wage so she's unsure what I should do.  Is it better the devil you know or is it worth taking on a new challenge?  The owner is calling me tonight to talk about it.  If I like the sound of it and go for an interview i'll see if my boss could up my money.  But this new place I know I will have to work hard for the money plus i'd have to work Sats in there

Tough decision..but $$$ isn't everything...listen to both offers....Draw up a list of pros and cons of each..then see which side wins!!...(Never Fails)..:lol:.best of luck with your decision..:)

OK so in the end I didn't get the job which was really annoying.  I had the interview with the 2 owners of the place, So the guy I was dealing with on the phone seemed fine but his business partner I got the impression she wasn't happy with something I said but I assured her it would not affect my work.  The guy said to her don't worry about it so n so who buys from us does the same and he's fine.  So as I was leaving he told me that all it boils down to is do you want to work weekends?  Have a think over xmas time and if you want the job will talk terms.  So after discussing it with the wife it was decided it was a good move.  Come Jan the 4th I get a text saying we are interviewing 2 more people and i'm OK this is news to me but talking to my mates in recruitment it might because of the small issue they raised but don't worry about it as if they really think about it, it's really not an issue.  Then last week i'm told I didn't get the job.  So was really pee'd off and I asked why??? They BS me and said me not having used a design package in my current job is a problem.  I could of argued it as its just a 2 week course and I showed them my IT NVQ from college.  If 2 60 year old men can use it then surely I can use it but whatever I know the real reason so prob better off not going if she finds it an issue.

So I wasn't looking for another job even tho now I was geared up to leave and seeing loads of faults where I am now.  Another place calls me and says come down for an interview and I said no its just a bit too far and I don't want to work weekends.  Then this week this other place says come for an interview (near where I work now) but this place was the job I almost took 7 years ago but my boss begged me to stay so I did.  So I imagine it's more money etc and the family that own it my uncle and cousins are mates with them and a few people have said there cool.  The shop is making money and moving forward but my mate who's a sales rep said as good as you are at your job no one else will put up with my sh!t when i'm annoyed plus although the owner has taken a step back he thinks me and him would clash but the son who is now the boss is fine.

So my question is do I find out what this place are offering and if I like it leave or try and get more money off my boss?  The main issue I have where I am is the shop is well out of date with displays falling apart or no longer available.  All our orders are written by hand along with designs and we still use a FAX MACHINE!!!!!  Its like Fawlty towers.  Last year looking on companies house we made a loss of 22k but I think my boss took money out the business to do his extension and buy 2 brand new cars plus this month we bought a new company van.  But he pleads poverty but the most annoying thing is at the start of this year we are owed thousands by customers but he will not take any action to get the money.  One owes 12k since July and i've said look they just ignore me because you let them get away with not paying so let's get a solicitor involved?  He says no they will pay eventually but then he cries we have no money in the bank.  Even last year he said in front of me to a customer I don't know how the business is still running.  1 you don't say that to customers and employees and 2 we are still going because I get money upfront and sell what makes us money.  My wife thinks even if he did pay me more eventually it might put the shop under plus he won't change his ways so just put up with it.  I just think what's wrong with being ambitious and caring about where you work?  If I told my boss I want more money and change would he go for it? Or how is the best way to approach it?  That's 3 companies that having been sniffing around me and my head has been turned now.  Dunno if I should do a Virgil Van Dijk and gone on to bigger and better things.

I would ask the boss if you can deal with the customers that owe the company money and if you get it (plus interest ) then a small bonus should be available .

also see if he will let you sort out the dated shelving etc and do up the showroom a bit. If not then look into moving but would the owner keep the company going if you are not there ?

I'll have to sit down with him and see what we can do. Place needs a serious make over.

If I did leave I think he would only last 2 or 3 years. Anyone else we've hired over the years leaves after a few months as he can hard to get on with

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It's interesting to compare the description of your current job in the first post with your comments in the latest.  No job is perfect, but it sounds like you felt you had a good thing going.  Change is stressful and you enjoy your relative lack of stress.  You don't want to work longer or harder as you'll almost certainly have to if you switch employers.  Is the prospect of  more money worth it to you?  (Hint: don't let society's expectations over-influence your answer.)  Happily, you seem motivated by the challenge of working smarter.  Approaching your boss with the offer to help improve his business in exchange for a salary increase and/or bonus sounds like a win-win.  Even if he says no, you're no worse off than you are now.

FFS so I spoke to my boss last night and the job interview I had on Friday I was offered it there and then but I said I would let them know the end of this week.

So there was me more or less ready to go but I tested out the journey yesterday and today to the new place and it's a bit of a ball ache and takes 1 hour to an hour and 15 mins to get there.  More money and they will make me the manager.

So I said to my boss been made an offer and I told them I'll think about it.  I said what I was unhappy about and that money isn't just the only issue.  And his response I didn't expect at all.  So yes he admits the place needs money spending on it and that things are not great here but it's because he's been slowly winding down and just waiting to semi retire when he hits 60 in 4 years.  The shop is making a very small profit but he has more or less got in his mind to give it up but not just yet and thats why its gone down hill a bit.  He said when that day comes he wanted to hand over the shop to me for nothing as its not worth a lot and needs money investing and then its mine to do what I please with it.  Some of my ideas he said yes we need to use as it will make our lives easier and make a bit more money.

So that's the dilemma stick it out a bit longer and get a free business or go for the money?  I'm leaning more to staying now as I should be at some point this year inheriting some money which I could use to rebrand the place and invest.  Plus ill have all the clients still and in theory I could kick on and make the place how it used to be when I started here 17 years ago.  My lazy nephew if I said to him you got 4 years to sort your life out and you could come work for me and then one day this place could be yours.

My wife thinks I should take the job so by Friday I need to decide   

23 minutes ago, Raiden said:

FFS so I spoke to my boss last night and the job interview I had on Friday I was offered it there and then but I said I would let them know the end of this week.

So there was me more or less ready to go but I tested out the journey yesterday and today to the new place and it's a bit of a ball ache and takes 1 hour to an hour and 15 mins to get there.  More money and they will make me the manager.

So I said to my boss been made an offer and I told them I'll think about it.  I said what I was unhappy about and that money isn't just the only issue.  And his response I didn't expect at all.  So yes he admits the place needs money spending on it and that things are not great here but it's because he's been slowly winding down and just waiting to semi retire when he hits 60 in 4 years.  The shop is making a very small profit but he has more or less got in his mind to give it up but not just yet and thats why its gone down hill a bit.  He said when that day comes he wanted to hand over the shop to me for nothing as its not worth a lot and needs money investing and then its mine to do what I please with it.  Some of my ideas he said yes we need to use as it will make our lives easier and make a bit more money.

So that's the dilemma stick it out a bit longer and get a free business or go for the money?  I'm leaning more to staying now as I should be at some point this year inheriting some money which I could use to rebrand the place and invest.  Plus ill have all the clients still and in theory I could kick on and make the place how it used to be when I started here 17 years ago.  My lazy nephew if I said to him you got 4 years to sort your life out and you could come work for me and then one day this place could be yours.

My wife thinks I should take the job so by Friday I need to decide   

One in the hand is worth two in the bush.

This is your life here, you've got to consider what's best for you. It's a pretty substantial risk to put your career progression on hold for a promise 4 years down the line, which may or may not materialise.

Just my 2 cents.

2 minutes ago, Hugh said:

This is your life here, you've got to consider what's best for you. It's a pretty substantial risk to put your career progression on hold for a promise 4 years down the line, which may or may not materialise.

Just my 2 cents.

Difficult decision. I'm inclined to agree with this comment BUT I can also see the extra stress and hours involved in the new job's commute which was, IIRC, what you wished to avoid. Therefore I'd be inclined to stay put provided you got some form of immediate recompense - even if modest - and some form of more formal legal agreement regarding the future handover/buyout. Without some guarantee/proof of goodwill you could well be in the mire in 4 years' time.

Good luck whatever you choose.

15 minutes ago, Leo9 said:

Difficult decision. I'm inclined to agree with this comment BUT I can also see the extra stress and hours involved in the new job's commute which was, IIRC, what you wished to avoid. Therefore I'd be inclined to stay put provided you got some form of immediate recompense - even if modest - and some form of more formal legal agreement regarding the future handover/buyout. Without some guarantee/proof of goodwill you could well be in the mire in 4 years' time.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Agree with Leo above.

if the current owner is saying he’s willing to give you the business in 4 years why not ask to be cut in as a share owning director  now, with an option to obtain controlling interest in the future depending on targets, turnover etc.

That would motivate you to stay as well as working hard to improve the business ready for the day you take over.

Shouldn’t be a massive legal agreement, but gives you something on paper and motivation.

Should be a no brainer for the current owner, as if your plans to modernise work as you hope then he increases his (and your) income for a few years and it may even make his retirement sweeter and easier.

23 minutes ago, Hugh said:

Just my 2 cents.

Spot on, you took the words right out of my mouth! Personally, I couldn't deal with that commute (on a "bad day" a 8 hour working day will become an 11 hour one) but its totally up to the OP. There are two main things in life: time and money. As you get older you realise that time is actually far more important than money. The catch is that you have to have (just) enough money to enjoy that extra time. Oh, and stress - best avoided if at all possible. I mean real stress, the type that keeps you awake at night and makes you ill. 

Agree with Leo and Shug. The OP's current boss maybe talking BS, to make his own life even easier. I'd be tempted to "call his bluff" by asking him to put his verbal 'promise' in writing. If he refuses, game over. Also, OP should be careful about going against his wife's wishes. If he makes the wrong decision he will never hear the last of it...😂

Like you guys say I need something in writing.  In the beginning I wasn't really looking to move but then my head got turned and issues I did have then started to really bug me as i've left them for so long.

I've said to my wife we can't have it all.  If I go yes the extra money is good but i'd be working on saturdays one on and one off.  Plus the extra time on the road.

If I stay I keep my weekends and the flexibility I get which I won't get at the new place.  But like 2 other bathroom places I know where staff have taken on the business one guy upscaled it and he has now 4 guys working there and he swans in at 10am everyday and if he wants a weekend off he takes it.  The other guy his boss died and the owner's wife wanted a stupid price for the shop and factory where they made half of what they sold.  He left and started his own shop in a small warehouse and all the customers followed him.  The wife then had to shut shop and sell the buildings off.  So I think I could make it work and have plenty of time to plan.  

You need a solicitor. One to guide you through getting in writing what you need from your current boss if he does intend on leaving you a business. Does the premises belong to your boss? Is there a mortgage being paid? If not I can't see him handing it over to you for nothing. He'll want at least what the building is worth, or he'll allow you to run the place and invest but he holds on to the premises and takes a rent from you.

Lots of variables here that turn a good opportunity into a headache, I've been in a situation where it all seemed gravy but when you dive deep in what was being offered and asked for wasn't actually sustainable. 

Having your own place certainly doesn't mean swanning in at 10am and having an easy life, I'm first in last out in my place, I cover anyone who's sick on top of what i already do, you take on all the responsibilities of finance, stock, repairs and there will also be things you maybe don't even know your current boss is dealing with that you'll be taking on. Being the "boss" isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

It's a difficult decision, personally the easy decision is to jump ship and go to the new job in my opinion. But what is one mans headache is another mans opportunity. If you stay, get a contract written up between you and the boss to secure the future. That on it's own will cost you, solicitors fees etc. But you need to know legally where you stand first and foremost.