Can anyone tell me why the Sat Nav when displayed on the centre console screen shows the current speed limit but when displayed as part of the virtual cockpit the speed limit indicator is missing? Surely there is a way of getting that information to display when using the Nav on the virtual cockpit. I tried the OBD eleven sign recognition upate but my Mk7.5 doesnt have the multi function camera apparently.

You are correct. The limit you are seeing on your centre console is sourced only from navigational data. The limit displayed on AID is never visible on the map, but only on top of the AID, from the Traffic Sign recognition system. The system uses both navigational data and real-time video feed from the multi-function high resolution camera you mentioned. So if you turn it on using VCDS, you'll just get errors on the system and it won't work. That's why I retrofitted the camera :) 

Many thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression both NAV displays were driven from the same source, but apparently not. So you are saying that the speed limit display on the centre console is driven by the sign recognition camera and not from the Map data and there is no way of getting the speed limit to show on the vitrual cockpit display. This is a common feature in many european cars so I would have thought VW would have offered it alsp. I'm not sure how a retrofit camera overcomes this, but I know the OBD 11 has no app available yet which will allow this feature. It would also be nice if the current speed readout changed colour when the speed limit was exeeded....that would be a useful feature! Let's have less gimmicky functions more practical features.🙏

On 27/12/2018 at 14:19, Legoless said:

You are correct. The limit you are seeing on your centre console is sourced only from navigational data. The limit displayed on AID is never visible on the map, but only on top of the AID, from the Traffic Sign recognition system. The system uses both navigational data and real-time video feed from the multi-function high resolution camera you mentioned. So if you turn it on using VCDS, you'll just get errors on the system and it won't work. That's why I retrofitted the camera :) 

How difficult and expensive was the camera retrofit?

@Johnny The camera is fairly easy retrofitted, will set you back around 300 GBP (speaking on MK7.5). The only problem is that you need to replace the windscreen with one that has a place for camera. Depending on how lucky you are, most of the cost goes into that.

@NetSpyder Do you have the camera or not? If yes, you can enable Traffic Sign Recognition system, otherwise you will need the camera installed first. It is a bit different, navigation infotainment is completely separate system from car ECU and other engine systems. About the speed limits, it is all a part of Traffic Sign Recognition system, which VW does offer as a separate option. :) I guess this is how they upsell it. Once enabled, it will allow you to set a warning at specific speed above the detected limit. And you get a nice beep too, if you like. TSR system uses nav data yes, but is far more accurate, because it combines the signs it sees on the road, which limit saved in nav data.

Yes I have the camera already however it seems sign recognition has not been enabled. I explained to the sales guy at VW that in Europe the Golf R's with driver assist display the current speed limit in the instrument cluster just near the temperature display. This seems to be common in European cars. Anyway he says that he has never seen it on models sold in Australia. It goes in for service tomorrow so I will see if the tech department can switch it on. It would be good if VW released system updates which offered enhanced capability. I would even pay for that!

1 hour ago, NetSpyder said:

Yes I have the camera already however it seems sign recognition has not been enabled. I explained to the sales guy at VW that in Europe the Golf R's with driver assist display the current speed limit in the instrument cluster just near the temperature display. This seems to be common in European cars. Anyway he says that he has never seen it on models sold in Australia. It goes in for service tomorrow so I will see if the tech department can switch it on. It would be good if VW released system updates which offered enhanced capability. I would even pay for that!

Well, it seems that VW doesn't offer that system in Australia. Which in some cases does make sense, because different countries have different road signs, which require different logic to be applied when running. I am not sure about Australia, but the US has completely different sign system and European recognition would never work with it. It is unlikely that they would be able to switch it on.. So if the road signs are similar to UK ones, what I would do, is code the car to be the same as in UK, since UK is the only European country with left hand traffic (same as Australia, right?). That is probably the only way, unless cars are sold with the system in Australia.. Ask VW guy if they support it on Arteon?