harbourmasta

Golf R with same Reg as mine spotted, advice needed.

Morning all.

So I'll try to keep this brief.

I got a Penalty Charge notice in last week, which was confusing me to say the least. It was a Dart Charge for the A282 Trunk road Dartford Crossing. A White Golf R (by the looks of the B/W Image) was photographed crossing this area without having paid the charge. It had the same Reg as the car in my drive, and Im the registered keeper of said car. The car in the image looks different from mine from the sutle changes but it still looks like a Golf R.

The date in question (Sunday 18th Nov), i wasnt anyway near this area, or the country even (England that is). I was out shopping in my local Asda, and fortunately i was able to dig out the receipt from that lunch time as the shopping was paid on my Debit card.

Obviously im contesting the charge as I have proof that i was no where near the area (ok it was a 2hr difference, but there is no way i can drive from Motherwell to London in 2hrs), but it now raises the other issue that there is another Golf R with the same Reg as mine driving about in london.

I only bought mine 3 months ago, from a Das WeltAuto, VW approved dealership, so im fairly confident in them. I also checked the VIN on the car to whats on the V5 and its a match. But at this time im not sure if i should go to my local Police and tell them or if there is anything else i can / should do?

Any comments or advice on this as im slightly concerned just now, what if this "clone" car is involved in a serious crime and i get the blame for it etc?

Cheers

Kyle

Morning all.

So I'll try to keep this brief.
I got a Penalty Charge notice in last week, which was confusing me to say the least. It was a Dart Charge for the A282 Trunk road Dartford Crossing. A White Golf R (by the looks of the B/W Image) was photographed crossing this area without having paid the charge. It had the same Reg as the car in my drive, and Im the registered keeper of said car. The car in the image looks different from mine from the sutle changes but it still looks like a Golf R.

The date in question (Sunday 18th Nov), i wasnt anyway near this area, or the country even (England that is). I was out shopping in my local Asda, and fortunately i was able to dig out the receipt from that lunch time as the shopping was paid on my Debit card.

Obviously im contesting the charge as I have proof that i was no where near the area (ok it was a 2hr difference, but there is no way i can drive from Motherwell to London in 2hrs), but it now raises the other issue that there is another Golf R with the same Reg as mine driving about in london.

I only bought mine 3 months ago, from a Das WeltAuto, VW approved dealership, so im fairly confident in them. I also checked the VIN on the car to whats on the V5 and its a match. But at this time im not sure if i should go to my local Police and tell them or if there is anything else i can / should do?

Any comments or advice on this as im slightly concerned just now, what if this "clone" car is involved in a serious crime and i get the blame for it etc?

Cheers
Kyle

I would report it to the police personally.

With regards the penalty charge, you should be in the clear as you can prove you were elsewhere. Not even a golf R could do Motherwell to London in 2hours!! Not the way the A1 or M6 traffic is lol

Last thing you need is for the ‘clone’ to be involved in something serious and you then have to spend loads of time clearing your name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would report it (in writing as well) to the police and the DVLA immediately, just in case speeding tickets start coming through as well.  

The police normally advise that you put some sort of identifying sticker on your rear windscreen so that if they spot your car reg. they can check for the sticker.  

As said report it asap as they'll probably escalate to buggering off without paying for petrol soon enough.

Then you'll find yourself being pulled over by every police car with ANPR on-board for a conversation 

Get it reported to police and DVLA. The DVLA will suspend your plate and issue a new registration, if you can provide enough evidence of cloning.

whilst you car was sat on the internet being advertised by VW, someone down south decided to clone the registration......simples.

Yup - report in person and back up with an email or writing as well perhaps? Cover all bases so that nothing can be pinned on you. Maybe dealerships should start getting savvy with this form of identity theft and remove number plates from their cars or edit them out of adverts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While there are some subtle differences in mine to the one pictured, i did just notice that its a FaceLift Version while mine is Pre-facelift, unless they have changed the Headlights to the new design but i doubt that, mine is a 2015.

When I worked for a British Leyland dealer many moons ago we did once put the same reg plate on two new Jags. Came to light when one of them got a ticket somewhere he'd never been. Shit happens

Yup, as above, report it to the cops immediately. I had a Peugeot 309 GTI and spotted another one identical to mine with the same number plate. A bit further down the road there was a cop car parked, so notified them. They said just be prepared to get pulled over during the next week or so whilst they ensure the authenticity of the driver/owner.

Never had any problems with fines etc, but the cops suspected it was gonna be used in a robbery, mine too was only a couple of weeks old, and had been pre-registered and sitting on the forecourt of Clock Garage in B'ham, this was obviously where it was spotted/cloned.

Just cover your arse, keep receipts/records for a while....

Definitely report...If you can do it before you report to the police,put either a sticker or a piece of tape on the front and rear plate (not the windscreen) and let them know what you have used and it’s location.

A marker will be placed on your plate and as part of the notes attached to the marker,this will (should!) be highlighted and will assist with differentiating.Let them know that yours is a pre facelift and what the obvious differences are.

if you do this retrospectively,when you get your log number from the Police,just update it as soon as-and keep the log number to hand until the clone has been recovered.