ellixtt

Lowering Springs Without Spacers

I’m on the verge of purchasing Eibach Pro Springs for my 7R but I don’t think I like the idea of spacers 😔 Atheistically they look great but I can’t help but think of the negative aspects regarding the mechanics of the car.

Has anyone lowered their car with Prets on, without spacers? Preferably on Eibach’s but I’ll take any examples.

Picture would be appreciated!

I have done that, Eibach springs no spacers..

No pic's to post but will get some up at the weekend...

As above though the rears do seem to sit in the arch a bit.. so I am really contemplating getting spacers.... 

Did the rear sit like that before??  probably just wasn't looking at it so much as standard.

Gonna give it a few weeks and decide..

1 minute ago, Twitch said:

I have done that, Eibach springs no spacers..

No pic's to post but will get some up at the weekend...

As above though the rears do seem to sit in the arch a bit.. so I am really contemplating getting spacers.... 

Did the rear sit like that before??  probably just wasn't looking at it so much as standard.

Gonna give it a few weeks and decide..

Would really appreciate some photos of you get time!

The rear wheels still look sunken in even on stock, so the lowering just exaggerates it. I think maybe rear spacers might be the best bet 😴 But Im thinking only 8-10mm

Okay so now I’m now seeing people saying to upgrade the dampers if lowering so that’s just threw a spanner in the works 😂

Why is it that nothing is every cheap go to do one thing for £200 and then find out I have to spending another £200 on other stuff labour not included 😩😩

Looks like I’ll be staying stock for a while

26 minutes ago, Rob2k68 said:

No need to change the dampers if only lowering 15-25mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would only go with the Eibach Pro Springs but looking on various forum posts the opinions are mixed on needing to upgrade dampers??!

Some people saying it can ruin stock dampers in 5-10k mileage others say don’t worry... I would like to do both but I’m not in a position to be spending £600+ just to lower the car.

Torn on what to do 🤔

11 hours ago, ellixtt said:

I would only go with the Eibach Pro Springs but looking on various forum posts the opinions are mixed on needing to upgrade dampers??!

Some people saying it can ruin stock dampers in 5-10k mileage others say don’t worry... I would like to do both but I’m not in a position to be spending £600+ just to lower the car.

Torn on what to do 🤔

No need whatsoever to change the dampers if you're just putting some modest lowering springs on! I track my car and the only suspension mod I've done is fit the eibachs, absolutely fine for a few track days a year and much improve the body roll with no impact on ride quality. 

With regards to spacers, I run 11mm all round with my cadiz wheels and no spacers with my TDs 1.2 as they are wider with a bigger offset. My TDs are my summer wheels and I use them on track where i wouldn't want to be using spacers. On the road I don't think there are really any drawbacks of running modest spacers, just get some good hub-centric ones. I use Forge spacers and they've been great so far

20 minutes ago, DaveAberdeen said:

With regards to spacers, I run 11mm all round with my cadiz wheels and no spacers with my TDs 1.2 as they are wider with a bigger offset. My TDs are my summer wheels and I use them on track where i wouldn't want to be using spacers. On the road I don't think there are really any drawbacks of running modest spacers, just get some good hub-centric ones. I use Forge spacers and they've been great so far

I have decided to just go with the Eibach Pro Springs and leave the stock dampers.

Funnily enough I was just about to do a post for advice on spacers! Originally I only wanted to put around 8-11mm on the back as I’m not looking to fully fill the arches only reduce the sunken look especially when lowered but I’ve seen people say stick to the same size spacers front & back to not upset the AWD mechanics.

Im thinking maybe going with 8mm front to back with new bolts to suit. I’ve got 19” Prets for reference 

18 minutes ago, ellixtt said:

I have decided to just go with the Eibach Pro Springs and leave the stock dampers.

Funnily enough I was just about to do a post for advice on spacers! Originally I only wanted to put around 8-11mm on the back as I’m not looking to fully fill the arches only reduce the sunken look especially when lowered but I’ve seen people say stick to the same size spacers front & back to not upset the AWD mechanics.

Im thinking maybe going with 8mm front to back with new bolts to suit. I’ve got 19” Prets for reference 

Lots of people run staggered spacers with no issues but personally i didn't want to. Not sure if it really impacts the haldex. 8mm will look fine on the front but on the rear they will still look a little recessed. I settled on 11mm as that's what I needed up front to clear my BBK and thought it looked about right in terms of stance on the rear. 

5 minutes ago, DaveAberdeen said:

Lots of people run staggered spacers with no issues but personally i didn't want to. Not sure if it really impacts the haldex. 8mm will look fine on the front but on the rear they will still look a little recessed. I settled on 11mm as that's what I needed up front to clear my BBK and thought it looked about right in terms of stance on the rear. 

I have just seen a picture of 11m front but for me that’s too much, ideally I’d like 8mm front and 11mm rear but I think I’m in the mindset of keeping it all the same so maybe 8mm all round might be my best option 👀

Now have to look for some good hubcentric ones!

41 minutes ago, Rob2k68 said:

I’m running H&R hubcentric 8mm front & 10mm rear - no issues emoji106.png

Cheer pal, just had a look at your build thread and they do look really good so I’m going to have a think about spacers after I fit the Springs.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Current Donation Goals

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• By ellixtt
      Looking for some wisdom on this... Few months back I had Eibach pro springs put on my MK7 R (25k milage 65 plate) and Ill be honest, I wasn't educated enough to know that some if not all the bolts should be swapped for new ones and potentially top mounts/bearings also.

I have a clicking noise from the left and after diagnostics I'm looking at the cause being either the suspension bolts whether it be too tight or stretched bolts or needing a new top mounts and bearings...

My question is: If i go about changing the bolts first to see if this helps can I simply start from the top and work my way down swapping bolt for bolt and maybe putting some grease on them before installing to prevent seizing (torqued to specified values) or do I need to be careful of the suspension dropping from removing bolts?

Also If I should go about removing the suspension unit to change the top mounts/bearings is this a tricky task, if so I might look to bring it to a indie (I don't have many tools)

Currently looking for bolts online but not sure if to go down OEM route or elsware, any guidance is appreciated.
    • By Danno
      It’s here…

After many years speculation about what the next full-fat R model was going to be, it’s here and it’s a….drum roll…..it’s an SUV?!

For years the chat has reigned supreme on this topic at VWROC.com. First it was all about the WRC winning Polo, and whether that would homologate into a proper VW R. No is the short answer. In subsequent interviews VW clarified that the ethos of the R brand is speed AND 4 wheel drive. The Polo just doesn’t have the capability (currently) to take onboard the Haldex system.

Then there was the Golf R400, or R420 depending on which tea leaf brand you were attempting to read the future with. That of course was hit by the VW Dieselgate scandal and pulled. Although again VW’s Jost Capitio recently elaborated that they just didn’t think they had the market for the R400, and as a result of their extensive research, of which this forum took a lead role (shame on those that responded), customers only wanted about 300BHP in the sub €50,000 (£42,000) bracket. He reckoned that by busting those figures, not only would the R400 be too costly to own and run, but that it would have meant losing half of their sales volume.

So, to the Geneva Motor show. We knew that the T-Roc R was a possibility. We’d seen the sketches and even seen images of it testing at the Nurburgring, but we’d also seen R400 mules, and they came to nothing. So I have to say we were all a little surprised and delighted when it was actually launched this week at the motor show.

I was sceptical at first about the whole concept, but after reading all the reviews and watching all the videos, my mind has been changed. I like this SUV. Apparently, according to Jost Capito, it drives better than the Golf R. They really have worked their magic on the chassis, handling and drive train and although it cannot overcome the sheer physics of its stance, it does perform really well. Only nine seconds slower than the Golf R hatch around the ring is not bad.

I feel that this plucky little sports SUV has the chutzpah to take on and beat BMW and Audi at their equivalent attempts. This could well be the class leader, just like your very own Golf R’s when stuck up against the Audi S3. Time will tell.

Order books are likely to open soon, and it could be arriving on our shores in the late autumn.

I won’t go into all the detail here, we’ve created a section full of news, videos and reviews by other more professional journalists, so please enjoy and carry on the debate here.

We’ve also added an Official Order Thread…I wonder which VWROC member will be the first to add their details….

View full article
    • By Danno
      It’s here…

After many years speculation about what the next full-fat R model was going to be, it’s here and it’s a….drum roll…..it’s an SUV?!

For years the chat has reigned supreme on this topic at VWROC.com. First it was all about the WRC winning Polo, and whether that would homologate into a proper VW R. No is the short answer. In subsequent interviews VW clarified that the ethos of the R brand is speed AND 4 wheel drive. The Polo just doesn’t have the capability (currently) to take onboard the Haldex system.

Then there was the Golf R400, or R420 depending on which tea leaf brand you were attempting to read the future with. That of course was hit by the VW Dieselgate scandal and pulled. Although again VW’s Jost Capitio recently elaborated that they just didn’t think they had the market for the R400, and as a result of their extensive research, of which this forum took a lead role (shame on those that responded), customers only wanted about 300BHP in the sub €50,000 (£42,000) bracket. He reckoned that by busting those figures, not only would the R400 be too costly to own and run, but that it would have meant losing half of their sales volume.

So, to the Geneva Motor show. We knew that the T-Roc R was a possibility. We’d seen the sketches and even seen images of it testing at the Nurburgring, but we’d also seen R400 mules, and they came to nothing. So I have to say we were all a little surprised and delighted when it was actually launched this week at the motor show.

I was sceptical at first about the whole concept, but after reading all the reviews and watching all the videos, my mind has been changed. I like this SUV. Apparently, according to Jost Capito, it drives better than the Golf R. They really have worked their magic on the chassis, handling and drive train and although it cannot overcome the sheer physics of its stance, it does perform really well. Only nine seconds slower than the Golf R hatch around the ring is not bad.

I feel that this plucky little sports SUV has the chutzpah to take on and beat BMW and Audi at their equivalent attempts. This could well be the class leader, just like your very own Golf R’s when stuck up against the Audi S3. Time will tell.

Order books are likely to open soon, and it could be arriving on our shores in the late autumn.

I won’t go into all the detail here, we’ve created a section full of news, videos and reviews by other more professional journalists, so please enjoy and carry on the debate here.

We’ve also added an Official Order Thread…I wonder which VWROC member will be the first to add their details….
    • By RyanCudlip
      Just picked up my 2014 MK7 R in Tornado Red. It’s a 5door DSG with Vienna Leather and sitting on VWR springs.

• By Ken Goodbody
      Hello VW R fans and owners!

Our company, Interstate, is working directly with Jost Capito and the team at Volkswagen R GmbH. 

You may or may not know that Volkswagen R is actually a separate company to the main Volkswagen brand and we are looking to build a group that has an ongoing involvement and voice that is heard within the brand. 

Rather than blanket bomb a tonne of Volkswagen owners as is often the case with 'market research', Jost and the team would like us to talk directly to current VW R owners about their VW R, the experience with Volkswagen and most importantly the VW R brand - how it is currently and where we could take it in the future. 

So, what do we need? 

10 x UK based VW R owners 
      10 x USA based VW R owners

Your time, more specifically about 30 minutes of your time - either in person, if you are local to London or Los Angeles or over Skype / a call. 

What will we do? 

Ask you some questions, your opinion on various VW R things and get to know you a bit better. 

What do you get? 

Remuneration for your time (£/$). 
      Ongoing involvement as part of a development in the VW R Brand.  
      Your voice and comments heard by the senior team at Volkswagen R GmbH. 

How do you do it? 
      Contact me, Ken at [email protected] and we can arrange a time to chat with the awesome team at Interstate UK or LA. 

Your data will not be used for marketing spam or passed on anywhere outside of VW R GmbH. 

Many thanks to the team at VWROC.com for allowing us to talk to you guys direct. 

Ken