Jump to content
clarky2015

Anyone driven a R since WLTP changes?

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

 

I'm about to order a R and researching all I can. 

 

I've only driven the 310 version pre WLTP changes. It popped and banged in race mode.

 

My question is, will the WLTP changes make a huge difference? Will the pops and bangs still be present?

 

My understanding is the power has also been dropped to 296 aswell.

 

If anyone has any knowledge I would very much appreciate it, thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one has - well no one outside of VW....not one has landed in the UK, and none will until next year - any that have been built have been banked and won't be released until Feb next year by looks of it.

 

I don't think there will be a huge difference, probably in-perceivable, i do suspect the exhaust note might be a bit more muted.

Performance should be almost identical, rumour has it the torque figure is the same and it's only 10hp down right at the top end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blower said:

No one has - well no one outside of VW....not one has landed in the UK, and none will until next year - any that have been built have been banked and won't be released until Feb next year by looks of it.

Thanks.

 

The R I'm after has been built and dealer said I won't get it until end of Feb so that makes sense. 

 

So really, it's a gamble then. The changes could have taken a lot of character out of the R? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, clarky2015 said:

Thanks.

 

The R I'm after has been built and dealer said I won't get it until end of Feb so that makes sense. 

 

So really, it's a gamble then. The changes could have taken a lot of character out of the R? 

 

I doubt very much it will take any of the character out. As above the exhaust note might be more muted, but from inside the cabin as you drive, i doubt you will notice any difference.....unless you spec'ed the akrapovic exhaust. I'm sure it will also still pop and bang in race mode, other VAG group car's that have come out with the same engine still pop and bang.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blower said:

 

I doubt very much it will take any of the character out. As above the exhaust note might be more muted, but from inside the cabin as you drive, i doubt you will notice any difference.....unless you spec'ed the akrapovic exhaust. I'm sure it will also still pop and bang in race mode, other VAG group car's that have come out with the same engine still pop and bang.

 

 

Fingers crossed. I have a 7.5 GTI PP at the moment and it's practically silent on the exhaust front. 

 

I took a 7.5 R out today for a test drive. It had the akrapovic exhaust, the pops and bangs were crazy. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, clarky2015 said:

Fingers crossed. I have a 7.5 GTI PP at the moment and it's practically silent on the exhaust front. 

 

I took a 7.5 R out today for a test drive. It had the akrapovic exhaust, the pops and bangs were crazy. 

 

 

 

Yeah that thing really does make loud pops & bangs! - my test drive was with an akrapovic down some country roads, really gave it a thrashing - was giggling like a school girl :D....didn't aint half feel the DSG farts from the rear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blower said:

 

Yeah that thing really does make loud pops & bangs! - my test drive was with an akrapovic down some country roads, really gave it a thrashing - was giggling like a school girl :D....didn't aint half feel the DSG farts from the rear!

Same, it almost felt like the rear windows were open all the time with the DSG farts. Crazy. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that makes me concerned is I had a 7.5 GTI which sounded awesome. Popped and the DSG farts were great. Then traded for a 7.5 GTI PP which is pretty silent. 

 

Now the standard GTI I had got axed because it wouldn't pass WLTP but the GTI PP was fine and didn't need changing. I'm sure if the could have VW would have put the standard GTI through WLTP as they are a lot more popular then the PP version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been googling and on YouTube, my suspicions look to be confirmed. The MY19 Cupras with the GPF fitted sound a lot quieter and have lost the DSG farts, just like my GTI PP. 

 

Considering the Cupras have the same engine as the Golf R it doesn't look good .... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sequence said:

I would expect any pops and bangs and dsg farts to be very muted compared to older cars as you are adding a restriction which will deaden some of the sound

It will be interesting to see how easy this restriction is to remove... hypothetically speaking of course 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The particulate filter is built into the front cat - i.e. the one that sits close to the turbo.....so a sports cat / decat like you would normally do if going stage 2 would remove it completely.

 

From the information I have gathered, I believe there is a second cat in the transmission tunnel - this actually is what you see on pre-WLTP Golf R's in other markets (US market etc)…...so an option might be to do a full decat of the front cat/ppf and leave the secondary cat in place.

 

These Otto/GPF/PPF's are purely passive in nature, they don't regen unlike diesel DPF's that have pressure monitoring and active regeneration. 

This should mean removing it doesn't require any form of remap, although you might need an O2 spacer as you would need when installing a sports cat/decat, even with leaving the secondary cat in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, blower said:

The particulate filter is built into the front cat - i.e. the one that sits close to the turbo.....so a sports cat / decat like you would normally do if going stage 2 would remove it completely.

 

From the information I have gathered, I believe there is a second cat in the transmission tunnel - this actually is what you see on pre-WLTP Golf R's in other markets (US market etc)…...so an option might be to do a full decat of the front cat/ppf and leave the secondary cat in place.

 

These Otto/GPF/PPF's are purely passive in nature, they don't regen unlike diesel DPF's that have pressure monitoring and active regeneration. 

This should mean removing it doesn't require any form of remap, although you might need an O2 spacer as you would need when installing a sports cat/decat, even with leaving the secondary cat in place.

Very useful informed to know. I think I might let someone else try this before I consider it. Will also give me the chance to see how much of an impact the particulate filter has on the car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blower said:

These Otto/GPF/PPF's are purely passive in nature, they don't regen unlike diesel DPF's that have pressure monitoring and active regeneration. 

 

If they don't burn off the accumulated particles with a specific regen (like  a DPF), then they would have to burn them off all the time (ie constantly) ? 

 

If they didn't burn them off sometime then the PPF/GPF would just fill up and need replacing regularly (great profit item for VW and the dealers, not so great for the owners who are paying for it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The particulate filter is built into the front cat - i.e. the one that sits close to the turbo.....so a sports cat / decat like you would normally do if going stage 2 would remove it completely.
 
From the information I have gathered, I believe there is a second cat in the transmission tunnel - this actually is what you see on pre-WLTP Golf R's in other markets (US market etc)…...so an option might be to do a full decat of the front cat/ppf and leave the secondary cat in place.
 
These Otto/GPF/PPF's are purely passive in nature, they don't regen unlike diesel DPF's that have pressure monitoring and active regeneration. 
This should mean removing it doesn't require any form of remap, although you might need an O2 spacer as you would need when installing a sports cat/decat, even with leaving the secondary cat in place.
The question is if fitted as standard then can it be removed? I mean of course it can but much like a DPF does removing it mean technically it wouldnt pass an mot?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×