Cogito

Should Rs Have Fog Lights?

We know MK7 Rs do not have fog lights or provision to install them, even though GTIs (at least US -spec models) do.  Presumably Rs require extra air intake space.  My question is, does it matter to owners?  Should VW design the MK8 R to accommodate fog lights?  I am of two minds.  Over the years I've rarely used them on cars so equipped and don't typically miss them.  One of my lesser pet hates (maybe a pet strong dislike? :smiley:) is drivers who apparently think it's cool to use them regardless of weather conditions.  So one less model to suffer from fog light abuse.  On the other hand there are driving conditions where fog lights come in handy.  Some might regard them as essential.  Shouldn't VW's premier performance model be equipped for such situations?

I’m glad they dont. Few reasons... 

1. I’ve never put my front fog lights on in any car I’ve had. 

2. I hate people who drive around with front fogs on, we have all seen a few idiot R owners out there. It would make it even worse if they were driving around in an R with their front fogs on all the time. 

3. I love the look of it without them. 

4. Fog lights always look dirty and mist up. 

Totally pointless?  I'm more in the "mostly pointless" camp.  I can recall a few instances of foggy mountain driving where fog lights helped delineate the edge of the road.  But hopeless in illuminating potential obstructions directly in front, even those within braking distance, which is really scary.   This is slightly embarrassing to admit, but 40+ years ago I had the fog light switch on my Porsche 914 2.0 rewired to work without the headlights having to be deployed.  As long as the parking lights were on, there was excellent front and rear lighting for in rainy daylight conditions with retracted headlights.

I wonder if fog lights would give significantly better lighting in fog than the sharp cutoff with dipped LED headlights ?   Possibly not.

It's a moot point for me as I almost never drive my R in fog anyway ( I live where it is fairly dry, so very little fog).

Definitely not, I think its great they do not have front FOGS. (Bloody autocorrect).

the number of utter fuckwits that drive around with just fogs on or side lights and fogs on, middle of summer, in the evenings etc beggars belief.

It would be nice having them for those very rare times where they come in handy, however the fuckwit brigade push the idea of fogs in to the pointless side of things.

then there are those that keep rear fogs on when in traffic ffs ..

In nearly 50 years of driving thirty-plus cars I can honestly say I've very rarely used foglights and even then I don't recall them being any more use than dipped headlights so certainly don't miss them one bit.

Definitely not, I think its great they do not have front dogs.

the number of utter fuckwits that drive around with just fogs on or side lights and fogs on, middle of summer, in the evenings etc beggars belief.

It would be nice having them for those very rare times where they come in handy, however the fuckwit brigade push the idea of fogs in to the pointless side of things.

Woof woof

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Gavras said:

No US-spec car has a rear fog light, Gav.  I don't think they're legal in this country.  Typical foggy thinking (pardon the pun) on the part of our legislators.  Surely rear fogs help other drivers see you in low visibility conditions.  We also suffer inferior headlights due to unenlightened laws (there he goes with the puns again, can't this guy be restrained?).  But it's okay to bring on the fog lights.  Harrumph!  Okay, rant mode off.

2 hours ago, E-V-A-N-S said:

I’m glad they dont. Few reasons... 

1. I’ve never put my front fog lights on in any car I’ve had. 

2. I hate people who drive around with front fogs on, we have all seen a few idiot R owners out there. It would make it even worse if they were driving around in an R with their front fogs on all the time. 

3. I love the look of it without them. 

4. Fog lights always look dirty and mist up. 

This 👆👆👆👆

44 minutes ago, Gavras said:

Definitely not, I think its great they do not have front dogs.

And this 👆👆👆👆

2 hours ago, Cogito said:

No US-spec car has a rear fog light, Gav.  I don't think they're legal in this country.  Typical foggy thinking (pardon the pun) on the part of our legislators.  Surely rear fogs help other drivers see you in low visibility conditions.  We also suffer inferior headlights due to unenlightened laws (there he goes with the puns again, can't this guy be restrained?).  But it's okay to bring on the fog lights.  Harrumph!  Okay, rant mode off.

It's rarely foggy enough to warrant a rear fog light. What has started to happen here is that idiots put them on when its raining hard so all you can see is a blur of bright red light reducing your visibility. Careful what you wish for :D

Regarding fronts, the only time I ever used them on a foggy dark morning they were useless, they just lit the fog up obscuring anything in front. The fog just reflects it back at you. Seems that manufacturers are dropping them anyway so it's a moot point. With my LED lights I have a button that does some funky stuff for fog and also one to reduce reflections when it's raining hard.