Sign in to follow this  
PaulE

3.0 V6 Golf r

I really can't see that happening.

who else within VW uses a Petrol V6?

Would they seriously put a high value engine in a low value car?

The world has changed a bit since the days of VR6 etc

as mentioned above the majority utilise smaller engines to deliver the power.

with VW getting rid of 30,000 jobs, majority being fossil fuel engine plant personnel, major Petrol engine work is unlikely.

even putting in a 2.5 would be a bit of a commercial oddity as it would push VW as a head on rival to Audi.

3 hours ago, slider09 said:

I wish, I wish, I wish ......

However i very much doubt it. Every car manufacturer is downsizing their engines to meet emissions numbers. No way this will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all know what VW are like when it comes to fudging numbers they’ll probably stick a 1.6 TSI badge on the engine cover. 

We all know what VW are like when it comes to fudging numbers they’ll probably stick a 1.6 TSI badge on the engine cover. 

Thing is, probably won’t be that long before the Golf R is a 1.6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like many others on here I'd be prepared to bet money that a 3.0 V6 Golf R won't become a normal production model, and I'd be extremely surprised if the 2.5L 5 cyl engine ever finds its way into a regular production Golf as well.  There are too many reasons not to make either (limited sales numbers, too expensive, too high a fuel consumption & emissions, out of step with Audi market position).   

Certainly it is physically possible to put either engine in a current Golf, and VW likes to tease enthusiasts with one-off specials & test mules, but IMO it ain't ever gonna happen in any real world scenario.  I can see them bumping up power outputs on the existing 2.0L engine, and adding in assistance from a mild 48V hybrid as that is quite feasible.

Who are VW competing against outside of VAG? Merc A, BMW 1, Focus. Merc is 4 cyl. BM is going to go 4 cyl. Not sure about Ford. Even within VAG, the RS is not a 3l V6. Can't see VW having a bigger engine than Audi. Can't see Audi changing from a 2.5l 5cyl

but time will tell. 

TBH if you are getting over 300bhp from a 4 cyl, and in the A45 way over, why go for a 6cyl? 

13 hours ago, Gavras said:

I really can't see that happening.

who else within VW uses a Petrol V6?

Would they seriously put a high value engine in a low value car?

The world has changed a bit since the days of VR6 etc

as mentioned above the majority utilise smaller engines to deliver the power.

with VW getting rid of 30,000 jobs, majority being fossil fuel engine plant personnel, major Petrol engine work is unlikely.

even putting in a 2.5 would be a bit of a commercial oddity as it would push VW as a head on rival to Audi.

What Gav said...:afro: