MrMK7GolfR

How old are we all?

7 hours ago, Cogito said:

It's true.  Some people are "70" by the time they turn 40.  Others seem pretty ageless.  For what it's worth, I think I was born to be middle age because that's when I became comfortable with who I am.  In retrospect many of my youthful insecurities are attributable to waiting to catch up chronologically with my middle-age sensibilities.  Now that I'm on the other side of the age chasm, it will be interesting to see how compatible I am with dotage.  By the way, I've long promised myself a Corvette before I die and am waiting for used C7 prices to match my budget requirements.  Don't necessarily expect to like it well enough to be a keeper.  When it's out of my system I'll move on to something else interesting.

Do it now before it's too late, don't replace the R though you might regret it.

2 hours ago, RGirl said:

I’ve found most if not all R drivers I’ve seen to be men.. any girls here own an R? Or is it generally popular with the guys?

There is one very young, attractive lady on the forum by the name of Rebecca, I think she said she was 21.

14 hours ago, Shug said:

Age is a funny thing. A lot is about how you feel and act.

Well said....I never look my age, or act my age..(Younger on both counts)...Long may it continue...:lol:...and feel a lot younger than what it says on my birth certificate...:lol:

15 hours ago, PHILC said:

Do it now before it's too late, don't replace the R though you might regret it.

True, the clock is ticking.  Not to worry about the R, but I'll have to let the Boxster S go, and I like it a lot.  When the right C7 Corvette comes along and the sums are right, I'll take the plunge. 

It's all based on personal situations I guess. I assume for the "older" generation in this thread - the R is the fun weekend car, used alongside a daily. I'm also assuming many of that same generation own the R versus "younger" (35 or less) who probably lease it.

Would be interesting to see stats around it - like own vs. lease, weekend vs daily, maintenance style (i.e. how much spent on new tyres, modifications etc.) - all split by age. 

Personally, when I was 29, I could only afford a £5k deposit and £317pm PCP. Insurance was £1,200. Got better though at 31 - insurance is now "only" £900. And I find myself keeping more and more money aside for new sets of tyres  
I think more likely to be a daily, an R is a lot of things but is it a fun weekend car?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

I think more likely to be a daily, an R is a lot of things but is it a fun weekend car?

I agree. Personally I prefer it as a daily due to its split personality, and would rather have an old MR2 or something for the weekend.

Then again - I could see someone using their R  as a fun weekend car by keeping it 100% in S / Race mode, or taking it to a track and blitzing around it every now and then.

1 hour ago, SpursMadDave said:

Its not without throwing £'s at it.

There are many more out there which are much more fun and many are a lot, lot cheaper.

12 minutes ago, VWR2018 said:

Its not without throwing £'s at it.

There are many more out there which are much more fun and many are a lot, lot cheaper.

A 400 hp stage 2 tuned golf r is a truly amazing machine. I also have an ep3 civic type r for my NA high revving, superb manual box thrills.

On 17/12/2018 at 16:15, Shug said:

Age is a funny thing. A lot is about how you feel and act. ...

On my way down to Chichester to collect this car, I passed a 65-70 y\o  grey haired pensioner driving a newish 911. My first thought was; He's too old to enjoy that car! But that was just based on how it looked from the outside ...He may have still been a better driver than me and able to throw that car into some serious power slides, but was adult enough to take it easy on public roads.

When it comes to cars, Age is irrelevant to talent and the love of a good DRIVE.