slider09

R community, I have sinned

Long time since my previous confession. I can’t help but have these dark thoughts. It’s the first time in the nearly 2.5 years of ownership that I am contemplating taking my car to a hand wash place.

Anyone in Leeds ever had similar thoughts....have they consumed you? Where did your dark thoughts take you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you burn in hell!!!!

Just resist temptation. I'd rather have mine dirty all winter covered in road salt than take it to a handwash. Even this morning I wanted to stay in bed but the R needed a clean. So it was long John's on and sealskinz gloves on for me

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

f0270cc0895348f6afaefe270e196b51.jpg

Just a sensible approach buddy, if you’ve done the pre-work and sealed up for winter.

Just stick with a minimal contact washing practice through the bad weather, good citrus pre-wash & soak time (less likely to dry in the current climate) through a lance or sprayer. Then hit the car with some quality snow foam again leaving to dwell, if that’s all you get time for then it’s better than nothing.

When you get a break in the weather, cold & dry, then give it a decent wash and use some hybrid sealants based on SiO2 such as Autobrites Sprints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Damn your eyes Sir, I suggest you take a brillo pad and scrub wildly at your genitals, then contemplate how your poor car would feel....

I agree with Jon, use yourself as a test panel, go have a shower with a Brillo Pad or Scourer and report back, we look forward to hearing the feedback

1 hour ago, Camshi said:

Just a sensible approach buddy, if you’ve done the pre-work and sealed up for winter.

Just stick with a minimal contact washing practice through the bad weather, good citrus pre-wash & soak time (less likely to dry in the current climate) through a lance or sprayer. Then hit the car with some quality snow foam again leaving to dwell, if that’s all you get time for then it’s better than nothing.

When you get a break in the weather, cold & dry, then give it a decent wash and use some hybrid sealants based on SiO2 such as Autobrites Sprints.

emoji1305.png

This.

You’ve had the dark thoughts, now cast then away and do the above. 

2 hours ago, slider09 said:

Long time since my previous confession. I can’t help but have these dark thoughts. It’s the first time in the nearly 2.5 years of ownership that I am contemplating taking my car to a hand wash place.

Anyone in Leeds ever had similar thoughts....have they consumed you? Where did your dark thoughts take you?

emoji3.png

Your thread title is a tad misleading. You haven't actually sinned yet, you are just admitting to thinking about sinning - and we all do that all the time!

If the car is so mucky that is technically illegal (can't read the number plate any more) and the weather is foul, I sometimes take mine to a local garage that has a (covered) diy pressure washing set up. Costs about £3, depending how much water you use. I usually take my own pre-wash (Autofinesse citrus power) and give the lower half of the car a quick spray first. The pressure washer is much more powerful than mine and is good at getting all the crap from under the wheel arches etc.

If I am feeling particularly lazy (which is quite often) I take to car to the local hand wash place (local industrial estate, not Tesco's) and just get them to pressure wash it. All the benefits of the above, without the effort or wet feet. They are happy to use my pre-wash spray (I don't trust the chemicals they use) and they only charge me £4.  They probably think I'm crazy, but hey-ho. They even have a nice little waiting room with an electric fire where you can sit and read the paper 😊. I tend to go at off-peak times so there is no queue and, of course, they are 'open all hours'..

Ok, so drying the car is a slight issue (I don't trust them with their flexible plastic blades and shammy's) but 'spotting' is not so much of a problem in this cold/damp weather. Anyway, I usually rope in my other half when I get home and we give the car a quick spray/wipe using Meguiar's waterless wash and wax - great if there is only minimal dirt remaining, or just do the areas that are visibly clean. Ten minute job if there are two of you.

It will be mucked up within a few days anyway!

18 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

I quite often get mine done at a local hand wash or drive in place this time of year, cant be done with washing it myself in this weather or driving around in a dirty car.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So do I, it's only a car after all. 

33 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

Dont get me wrong, I love my car and like it looking good but just cant be arsed to polish it or wax it etc. If i have a spare couple of hours on a Sunday morning I fill my car up and go for a drive emoji16.png

As I said on another post , my car has to sit outside in all weathers and is subject to all manner of indignations from pigeons crapping on it, cats sitting on it, foxes and local dogs pissing on it. When I am out driving, deer, pigeons, foxes and pheasants all trying to commit suicide on the bonnet. as well as all the stones, salt, grit and other debris damaging it, I have taken the decision not to be too fastidious with its appearance. I am not decrying all those of you that do a lot of detailing, good on yer, I like to see a well turned out car, it's just that I can't now be bothered, too bloody old😫

While it's raining you guys could get a mop out and start cleaning it. Still better than a Tesco hand wash

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Even I would draw the line at a supermarket wash! Anyway I thought mopping was an integral part of proper detailing

I use that one in stourton all time there bang on can’t go wrong tenner for a valet