Sign in to follow this  
Mattywright

What will your next car be?

Noticed a lot of topics recently getting everyone involved in either how old they are, what they like about the cars or dislike etc..

Be interesting to see what you guys would consider for your next car? Will you be after another Golf R or even wait out for the MK8?

Think I'll need something more sensible next for my mileage.. dare I say it a 120d 😞

The Golf's a lovely car, but having moved within walking distance of the office, it feels wasteful to have it sat on the drive as much as it is.

I don't want to drop to a beater, but I'm looking into swapping for a S/H Fiesta ST (the new 3cyl one) or Hyundai i30N towards the back end of this year.

Went from VW Bora to Audi Quattro where stayed faithful for 7 years but head was turned by the MK 7 and the better value and the new MQB platform and given mileage at the time took a punt on an early model GTD which loved, very much all the car you would ever need, 

The R then turned my head and with mileage dropping justified it to myself and 26 months of the best car personally driven, very much the car you want (in this ££ bracket) 

Have to choose again in May and have been looking over the fence at the alternatives for a while now and even though there are new models coming from BMW and Audi and here now from Mercedes, I really cannot see past another R. 

So it would be good to be an early adopter of the MK7 and to complete on the matured version before the MK8 makes its entry. Its quite nice to know exactly what will be getting, as understand everything about the car, the options that like and having seen many variations, the colour and wheels combination also.

Presently have a 66 plate Lapiz so the wait is obviously not going to be that painful, but have gone for the more stealthier look to give myself some differentiation. 

Normally at changeover time its a few weeks of garage visits and lots of deliberation where as this time it will be ten minutes completing an online order :) 

So it will be a MK 7.5 Indium Grey - Black Pretoria - Black Mirror Caps - DCC - Climate screen

If there is any ££ to spare then potentially the Panoramic Roof and Oetinger Rear Spoiler.

10 minutes ago, andy_r said:

The Golf's a lovely car, but having moved within walking distance of the office, it feels wasteful to have it sat on the drive as much as it is.

I don't want to drop to a beater, but I'm looking into swapping for a S/H Fiesta ST (the new 3cyl one) or Hyundai i30N towards the back end of this year.

Quite like the look of both the Focus and Fiesta ST (neighbour has one in red, and it does grab your attention) and interior has improved and if had to have sensible head on would not be averse to going that direction over an A1 or a Polo. 

I will be giving serious consideration to the Mk8 Golf R, hopefully this new series will incorporate some form of hybrid technology.

My thoughts are use the tradition internal combustion engine to drive the front wheels and use electric/battery power for the rear.

Ideally, the Mk8 would have the capability to drive on pure electric power only for a few (say 50 or so) miles.

I have also thought about the forthcoming hybrid version of the Volvo XC40 - supposedly this will be available to purchase in the next year or so.

More than likely a MK8 'R'..... the 7.5 is the best all rounder I've owned so more of the same with a touch more power would be perfect.  @Trentside We have a T5 XC40 which is very impressive, the build quality is very good and it's no slouch either. 

Considering a BMW M140i. Glorious engine with so much character and so smooth that the R can only dream of matching. Last of the marvellous straight 6 and rwd, since BMW is going  4-pot in their next hot hatch.

Replace the ugly stock 18" wheels with some 19s, Maxton splitters all around combined with Eibach springs will make it squat like a bulldog and improve the fugly back-end.

A nice exhaust system will make that straight 6 sing and jb4 will get it around the 410hp. Sweet.

Well, I only bought mine in September but I often think what would I buy if it was stolen/written off. I really can't think of anything else that is a good sized estate car with decent equipment levels, a spare wheel, not too big, sub 30K (well, it was by a few quid) and good to drive. A GTi estate would have been in contention but it's not made and a GTD estate is almost exactly what I already had a BMW version of. I really don't know ...