PocketRocket

Haldex 5 - Now with Wavetrac LSD rear diff on my 7R!

Hi all.

Something special for you petrol heads the last day of 2018.

Finally I made this happen and I ams super stoked about it.

Thanks to a fellow member atwVWvortex who converted his TTRS mk2 equipped with Haldex 4 with an Wavetrac LSD from the Haldex 2 generation. I asked him if I would be interested in doing the same thing for my 7R and the Haldex 5 diff...

After some talk back and forth we desided to give it a try. By the looks of the two diff's from out side. They did not look mutch different apart so we thought it would be the same inside.

We were wrong!

New measurements was needed and new parts needed to be made.

But to cut the story short. I now have the first Haldex 5 diff with a LSD [emoji41]

I haven't installed it on the car yet but this will be soon... [emoji4]

Keep an eye out for more details here if you are interested in this mod.

Pictures below to admire if you are like me [emoji16]

PS. To top it off. I'll be installing the Wavetrac LSD up front as well at the same time. My DSG clutches need replacing!

I wish you all happy new year 2019.

Please comment if you like and are interested in this mod your self. We might start producing a small number of this... [emoji41]add1c3a5dc0eb16442add8d84804d503.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Edited by PocketRocket
Spelling!

Wow! I wonder what it would be like with just the rear LSD? [emoji848]

Any idea of pricing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will add possible pricing soon. It's not cheap. I can tell you this right now.

A spare Haldex 5 unit is best to source and send. This way you can use your car in the meantime.

The Wavetrac LSD is at aprox £1356 incl. UK VAT.

Than the shipping and cost for the work is on top of that.... For pricing would depend if we could do more at the same time to reduce machining time...

If I didn't need a new DSG clutch pack. I would test only rear first... [emoji4]

1 hour ago, PocketRocket said:

Will add possible pricing soon. It's not cheap. I can tell you this right now.

A spare Haldex 5 unit is best to source and send. This way you can use your car in the meantime.

The Wavetrac LSD is at aprox £1356 incl. UK VAT.

Than the shipping and cost for the work is on top of that.... For pricing would depend if we could do more at the same time to reduce machining time...

If I didn't need a new DSG clutch pack. I would test only rear first... emoji4.png

How many miles has the car covered before the clutch packs gave up?

What stage are you running?

Is it launched regularly  ? Just wondering why they have given up.

Nice addition in theory. 

Is there a Haldex controller for controlling fore and aft torque split and can you adjust torque across the axle?

How many miles has the car covered before the clutch packs gave up?
What stage are you running?
Is it launched regularly  ? Just wondering why they have given up.

Nice addition in theory. 
Is there a Haldex controller for controlling fore and aft torque split and can you adjust torque across the axle?
Thanks.
Do not know how many LC's the car has done. I bought the car used with APR Stage 1 sw high torque MAP [emoji4] Is there a counter I can check via VCDS?
Personally I haven't launched that many times, but it has been tested. Can't deny that. Maybe 20 times
The car is at APR stage 2 sw v2.6 high torque and APR TCU with LC to 4500rpms max. I am not blaming APR for this. The car has been used on the track well.
I have installed TVS Engineering TCU sw stage 3 HPP to see if it would help reducing the slip. It did not. My problem is the clutch controlling 1-3-5 gear. So LC can be the reason for the problem... Changing clutch packs in 14 days. Will see then...

What do you mean by clutch based LSD? Like a VAQ electronically controlled torque splitt left and right like on Audi with Sport diff?
This would require more development and sw coding. Not possible from my side...

The Wavetrac LSD is fully mechanically without any adjustments to it. Look up there website or YouTube for info...
It's not a clutch plate diff... It's gear type with some extra trickory that I personally liked and chosed Wavetrac.... Will see how the car handles...

For info. My R is used daily back and forth to the office. Max 30 km pr day. The rest is in track and car neet/shows. I can put up my specs In a different thread...

4 hours ago, PocketRocket said:

Thanks.
Do not know how many LC's the car has done. I bought the car used with APR Stage 1 sw high torque MAP emoji4.png Is there a counter I can check via VCDS?
Personally I haven't launched that many times, but it has been tested. Can't deny that. Maybe 20 times
The car is at APR stage 2 sw v2.6 high torque and APR TCU with LC to 4500rpms max. I am not blaming APR for this. The car has been used on the track well.
I have installed TVS Engineering TCU sw stage 3 HPP to see if it would help reducing the slip. It did not. My problem is the clutch controlling 1-3-5 gear. So LC can be the reason for the problem... Changing clutch packs in 14 days. Will see then...

What do you mean by clutch based LSD? Like a VAQ electronically controlled torque splitt left and right like on Audi with Sport diff?
This would require more development and sw coding. Not possible from my side...

The Wavetrac LSD is fully mechanically without any adjustments to it. Look up there website or YouTube for info...
It's not a clutch plate diff... It's gear type with some extra trickory that I personally liked and chosed Wavetrac.... Will see how the car handles...

For info. My R is used daily back and forth to the office. Max 30 km pr day. The rest is in track and car neet/shows. I can put up my specs In a different thread...

Thanks for that.

Yeap I know about the mechanical Wavetrack diff......I run Quaiffe in my 16v and previous Edition 30.

Ash at Regal Motorsport runs the front Wavetrack variety. We run identical power APR stage 2 and I followed him at Castle Combe in October at a track event and he followed me. It was interesting! He really rates it.

I won't go that far this time in my R as it's pretty good as it is as my daily but if building a track orientated car then I would  consider it.

I don't really launch my car at all.....maybe twice since ownership just to try it out.....it's fairly brutal on everything hence U just leave it and use Race or sport DSG to get away quickly if needed.

I suspect clutch packs have come down in price and maybe more choice ?? Labour must be quite high?

Thanks for that.
Yeap I know about the mechanical Wavetrack diff......I run Quaiffe in my 16v and previous Edition 30.
Ash at Regal Motorsport runs the front Wavetrack variety. We run identical power APR stage 2 and I followed him at Castle Combe in October at a track event and he followed me. It was interesting! He really rates it.
I won't go that far this time in my R as it's pretty good as it is as my daily but if building a track orientated car then I would  consider it.
I don't really launch my car at all.....maybe twice since ownership just to try it out.....it's fairly brutal on everything hence U just leave it and use Race or sport DSG to get away quickly if needed.

I suspect clutch packs have come down in price and maybe more choice ?? Labour must be quite high?

Ash was the reason for me wanting the front LSD from Wavetrac in the beginning.
But are you telling me that your car cornered the same way without the LSD?

Exactly! And following the industry trend this would be the most interesting upgrade that you could ever make. When I say industry trend I mean what was started by mk3 Focus RS with the trick LSD, AMG A45s and the new toyota yaris gr. All make the cars fun again by employing some sort of rear locking diff.

I would advertise strongly this.

It sticked to my mind the video of someone with an mk4 R32 doing donuts with such a rear lsd fitted.