Sign in to follow this  
Rob The Gas Man

New Member Just Signed Up.

Hi all.

Just joined and site looks busy and full of useful info 👍.

I currently have a 2011 E92 M3 but looking to sell up and get something more practical and an R seems to tick all the boxes. Price wise looking at 2015-2016 models and DSG. I’ve been looking at various adverts but any info on what spec to look for and what to avoid would be much appreciated.

T.I.A.

Cheers.

Rob.

Spec is pretty generous as standard, it's more down to personal preference. You'll see a lot of basic ones though, most cars you'll see at that age are ex-lease. Leather is pretty rare, it wasn't a cheap option from factory

:welcome:Rob.

Gas Safe or flatulent  ? As George says the standard spec is pretty generous, you're looking for a 2-3 year old car, I would take a lower mileage car with a lower spec over a higher mileage /high spec car at the same money, but that's just my opinion. A car with a comprehensive and transparent history is vital, like any desirable performance car there are 'wrong ens' about. There's no real 'avoid' variants or colours, red and silver are the rarer colours. There's a lot of ownership and buying experience on the forum, a link to any potential purchase is a good idea, somebody might know the car. 

13 minutes ago, GGSL said:

Spec is pretty generous as standard, it's more down to personal preference. You'll see a lot of basic ones though, most cars you'll see at that age are ex-lease. Leather is pretty rare, it wasn't a cheap option from factory

As many options as possible really and Pretoria’s and leather are a must have. Does the adjustable damper control make that much difference?.

Just be wary of a very low mileage that is out of warranty as the 'usual' issues that are sorted under warranty will cost you I.e. water pump/thermostat housing etc...

Have a good read on the site stamdard spec is excellent and a lot of things like better infotainment, rear cam etc can be retrofitted also

Some say DCC is a must, I haven't got irnso can't comment but the ride is fine for me. Lamp roof was nice on my previous R but I don't miss it really...

Good luck with the hunt

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Jon-Paul said:

:welcome:Rob.

Gas Safe or flatulent  ? As George says the standard spec is pretty generous, you're looking for a 2-3 year old car, I would take a lower mileage car with a lower spec over a higher mileage /high spec car at the same money, but that's just my opinion. A car with a comprehensive and transparent history is vital, like any desirable performance car there are 'wrong ens' about. There's no real 'avoid' variants or colours, red and silver are the rarer colours. There's a lot of ownership and buying experience on the forum, a link to any potential purchase is a good idea, somebody might know the car. 

Lol. Gas Safe mate. 

Have my eye on this at the moment 🤔

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273633405171

6 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

Just be wary of a very low mileage that is out of warranty as the 'usual' issues that are sorted under warranty will cost you I.e. water pump/thermostat housing etc...

Have a good read on the site stamdard spec is excellent and a lot of things like better infotainment, rear cam etc can be retrofitted also

Some say DCC is a must, I haven't got irnso can't comment but the ride is fine for me. Lamp roof was nice on my previous R but I don't miss it really...

Good luck with the hunt

Cheers Dave 👍

As many options as possible really and Pretoria’s and leather are a must have. Does the adjustable damper control make that much difference?.

Those were originally 2 options I wanted, every car I looked at with leather it looked saggy and realised it was poor quality, Pretorias look great but are quite fragile if you hit a pothole they can buckle and even split!

Lol. Gas Safe mate. 
Have my eye on this at the moment

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273633405171

I know Church's and they only do top quality cars

That one is pretty much top spec, but is also all the money for a 2016 car...

1 minute ago, Rob The Gas Man said:

I've not got DCC, the ride is fine for me (although I'm on the 18s). The thing that puts me off the prets is that as Dave says they're really fragile. You'll see loads of accounts of them buckling/cracking on here. Some people reckon the cheaper replicas are actually tougher, so worth keeping in mind when looking.

38 minutes ago, Rob The Gas Man said:

Lol. Gas Safe mate. 

Have my eye on this at the moment 🤔

That's a stunning looking car Rob but as @SpursMadDave says it's strong money, you're a grand or so below 7.5 money there with the current instrumentation, 7 speed dsg etc etc, another 1k  again sees a few nice extras.... 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811052153727?price-from=25000&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&year-from=2017&transmission=Automatic&sort=price-asc&radius=1500&aggregatedTrim=R&make=VOLKSWAGEN&postcode=hx75tz&model=GOLF&advertising-location=at_cars&page=2

1 minute ago, SpursMadDave said:

Church's are a premium car retailer and their prices are very strong, a friend of mine has traded both his 370z and AMG45 there

‘I’ve been in touch with them by email about px on my M3 but when I sent details it all went quiet. Not sure why, pretty good looking car imho 😉

9755ADD1-124B-47EC-ACEB-4D49A386E6A3.jpeg

10 hours ago, Rob The Gas Man said:

Hi all.

Just joined and site looks busy and full of useful info 👍.

I currently have a 2011 E92 M3 but looking to sell up and get something more practical and an R seems to tick all the boxes. Price wise looking at 2015-2016 models and DSG. I’ve been looking at various adverts but any info on what spec to look for and what to avoid would be much appreciated.

T.I.A.

Cheers.

Rob.

HI Rob, and Welcome to the forum...:welcome::)....I bought a 2016 DSG Golf R last year with 10,000 km's on the clock and its been faultless....Runs even better now after going Stage 1......Problem free car..I hope yours will be as well....get DCC and 19 inch Prets (wheels) if possible....They look awesome on it...:smiley:...Best of luck:afro: