blower

Golf R 2019 WLTP - Looses MPI (Dual Injection) !

On 10/01/2019 at 00:36, blower said:

What i also find laughable - which sorta goes with this whole WLTP nonsense of no one knowing what the f'ing car they're selling actually is.....

Is how the VW used car site is completely useless at telling you what options are on the car!

Half the listing's are missing off options in the spec list, which you can clearly see in the photo's....the other half are telling you it has things which you can clearly see it hasn't!

I've trawled through this site manually so many times as if you specify things like 'sunroof' on the advanced search, you will find it misses off cars that do have a sunroof, because the idiot dealer hasn't specified it had a sunroof.

Apparently this one comes with the performance pack....maybe they filled the holes back in on the front brake discs:

https://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/en/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/20-tsi-r-4motion-310ps-dsg-jqbubfc

Also recent cars seem to all have been first registered in July 2018 - yet its sat there with a 68 plate on it.

Dealer ads are generally poor.

Seen loads of cars with both Cadiz and Prets listed, dealers just take the generic spec and add what they think are extras.

On 10/01/2019 at 00:36, blower said:

What i also find laughable - which sorta goes with this whole WLTP nonsense of no one knowing what the f'ing car they're selling actually is.....

Is how the VW used car site is completely useless at telling you what options are on the car!

Half the listing's are missing off options in the spec list, which you can clearly see in the photo's....the other half are telling you it has things which you can clearly see it hasn't!

I've trawled through this site manually so many times as if you specify things like 'sunroof' on the advanced search, you will find it misses off cars that do have a sunroof, because the idiot dealer hasn't specified it had a sunroof.

Apparently this one comes with the performance pack....maybe they filled the holes back in on the front brake discs:

https://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/en/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/20-tsi-r-4motion-310ps-dsg-jqbubfc

Also recent cars seem to all have been first registered in July 2018 - yet its sat there with a 68 plate on it.

Honestly the VW site is a shambles! Couldn't agree more.

I have been searching for an R for 6 months and I nearly emailed VW yesterday when losing my rag with the site.

The search as you say is seriously flawed and another thing that bothers me is when you do find a car you like you click to see it and the webpage won't load. It will either try to load and hang on the loading bar forever or you'll get a Back End Fetch Failed 503 error.

Its useless. 

Vw are the worst company I've ever dealt with despite cancelling my factory order.

The latest in the string of errors they have now cancelled the service pack for my preowned car as well as the previous finance from the last owner. They won't speak to me due to GDPR and managers don't care.

I love my Golf R but it will be the last VAG car I will ever own due to their complete and utter ineptitude.

6 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I found the answer on the Cupra forum:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/model-year-19-cupra-st-4-drive-resonator-delete-issue.448585/

The single resonator on the 2018 model has been replaced by two smaller ones & the exhaust system splits.

The resonator has been deleted and the 2 'smaller resonators' are actually the twin particulate filters - almost identical to whats on the 2019 Golf R's

Just now, blower said:

The resonator has been deleted and the 2 'smaller resonators' are actually the twin particulate filters - almost identical to whats on the 2019 Golf R's

This is good news as the Cupras sound half decent with good pops and bangs. Wonder why Audi did something different? 

13 minutes ago, clarky2015 said:

This is good news as the Cupras sound half decent with good pops and bangs. Wonder why Audi did something different? 

There might be a bit of drone - although i don't expect much, and certainly less than you would get with an ordinary resonator delete on the pre-WLTP anyway. 

I've always said the Audi S3 is the 'soft' version of the Golf R - it doesn't handle as well, doesn't turn as sharp, inspires less confidence in the corners when pushing it (and looses grip b4 the R) - but this is because the suspension setup is a bit softer and the wheel geometry less aggressive. Numerous reviewers that have reviewed them back to back have said the same, that it seems to lack something in the handling compared to the R

I expect the decision was made to keep the resonator as the Audi S3 is just a bit less brash (sporty) so a bit of a drone from the exhaust doesn't fit in with their intended image. Where as the R can have the mega farting Akrapovic that blow's the monocle's off the local aristocrats as you scream through the countryside.

Speaking of that Akrapovic.....i was driving back from dealers today, on the motorway in outside lane just waiting for someone slow ahead to move in, floored it in sports mode when they did and it happened to do the DSG fart just as i flew past - well it must have frightened them as they flashed their lights a few times at me (although i only just noticed as they were a dot in the distance within seconds).

I feel like such a boy racer!, that thing is just brutal on the outside when the flaps are open - still dunno if i'm gonna keep it but i'm having fun with it atm anyway :D

On 12/01/2019 at 00:01, blower said:

There might be a bit of drone - although i don't expect much, and certainly less than you would get with an ordinary resonator delete on the pre-WLTP anyway. 

I've always said the Audi S3 is the 'soft' version of the Golf R - it doesn't handle as well, doesn't turn as sharp, inspires less confidence in the corners when pushing it (and looses grip b4 the R) - but this is because the suspension setup is a bit softer and the wheel geometry less aggressive. Numerous reviewers that have reviewed them back to back have said the same, that it seems to lack something in the handling compared to the R

I expect the decision was made to keep the resonator as the Audi S3 is just a bit less brash (sporty) so a bit of a drone from the exhaust doesn't fit in with their intended image. Where as the R can have the mega farting Akrapovic that blow's the monocle's off the local aristocrats as you scream through the countryside.

Thanks for the explanation, just want to check I understand this properly.

This is the underside of a MY19 S3 in the attached image.

The twin cylinder boxes towards the front of the car are they the GPF or cats?

According to the parts database, the underside of the MY19 Golf R hatchback will look the same, apart from no resonator in the mid section after the twin cats/ GPF? So essentially it will be a straight bit of pipe from the twin cats/ GPF to the back box?

Screenshot_20190113-080851_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190113-082440_Chrome.jpg

This was a well-known issue with the B7 RS4. The carbon build-up on some of their engines is appalling. The consensus seems to be that cleaning will improve things for a while but it will just build back up again over time. They were supposed to have 414 BHP from the factory. I've seen dyno readouts where they're down to as low as 360-370 purely from the build-up.

I didn't realise it affected so many other engines.

I had a B7 RS4. It dyno’d at 372bhp with 19k miles on it. It was a group rolling road day and mine was the most powerful standard car. One was 350bhp. A long way from the 414bhp quoted.

I would hope technology has moved on in 12 years....

9 minutes ago, Timbo69 said:

This guy put his R on a dyno and got 322....stock apart from a Res delete I believe.

However, thats a pre WLTP and will have dual injection - no build up issues. As the result suggests, its making the same power as the day it rolled off the production line.

2 hours ago, clarky2015 said:

Thanks for the explanation, just want to check I understand this properly.

This is the underside of a MY19 S3 in the attached image.

The twin cylinder boxes towards the front of the car are they the GPF or cats?

According to the parts database, the underside of the MY19 Golf R hatchback will look the same, apart from no resonator in the mid section after the twin cats/ GPF? So essentially it will be a straight bit of pipe from the twin cats/ GPF to the back box?

The twin 'boxes' towards the front are the particulate filters (GPF). On the link posted earlier to the Cupra you can also make out one of the GPF pressure sensors just after the twin filters which will be on all WLTP models, all platforms. (S3, Golf R, Cupra etc)

There's only 1 cat on all WLTP models, and it's in same place before, right after the turbo inside the back of the engine bay.

And yep the Golf R will look the same as this S3, except there will be just a pipe straight to the muffler back box from the twin GPF's.