67MK7.5R

Exhaust flaps

21 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

You should listen to some of the R's on the FB page... decats, deres and demufflered sound like grenades and fireworks going off emoji37.png awful

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah some people have done the re-map to get even more pops and bangs! It's just excessive! 

Yeah the purposely added in pops and bangs, alongside decatted, de-resed and no backbox exhausts sound terrible. There are some people who get off on it but not me.. 

I'm de-resonated at the moment, with standard exhaust otherwise, but I'm debating whether to go custom exhaust so I can have it a bit louder but not too loud, with custom tips and valved etc. Or go for an aftermarket system. I just cannot justify paying the VAG tax for an exhaust it's ridiculous. Last car I had cost £600 to get a full exhaust from a very reputable company... 

I think custom is the way for me, I can then tell them how loud, deep and poppy I do or don't want it

You should listen to some of the R's on the FB page... decats, deres and demufflered sound like grenades and fireworks going off awful

The FB group is very ‘max power’ now, I don’t go on anymore.

1 hour ago, JJB said:

Yeah the purposely added in pops and bangs, alongside decatted, de-resed and no backbox exhausts sound terrible. There are some people who get off on it but not me.. 

I'm de-resonated at the moment, with standard exhaust otherwise, but I'm debating whether to go custom exhaust so I can have it a bit louder but not too loud, with custom tips and valved etc. Or go for an aftermarket system. I just cannot justify paying the VAG tax for an exhaust it's ridiculous. Last car I had cost £600 to get a full exhaust from a very reputable company... 

I think custom is the way for me, I can then tell them how loud, deep and poppy I do or don't want it

I’m not sure about the vag tax on the mk7 Golf R exhaust compared to the focus st, there is more work involved in the mk7 R exhaust compared with the focus st with the valves and the extra tailpipes etc plus the fact the mk7 golf has only been out since 2013/14 where as the exhaust for the focus st have been out and the same since 2006 up to the new shape 2012 iirc. 

You will probably find when the mk7 R gets to 10 years old the exhausts will be cheaper. 

You can actually get an after market exhaust for the Golf R from a reputable company non valved like the focus st for around £8-900 retail, the problem with the Golf R is when you start adding valves to the system that’s when it starts getting a lot more expensive than your non valved focus st system. 

My boss was quoted £1300 for an exhaust for his mk3 Foucus RS which is equivalent to the price of a mk7 Golf R valved exhaust and it has 2 less tail pipes and there’s no VAG tax on that 

If you code the flaps completely for the Mk7 R do you know what the outcome is by any chance as you mention it’s different to the 7.5R? 

I’ve done extensive testing with both my current 7.5R and my previous 7R.
On the 7R, flaps can be permanently deactivated, giving more of a deeper tone and exaggerated burbles on the overrun. There are no pops or bangs on downshifts with stock 7R software only this extended overrun burble/muted pops with flaps deactivated.
Some people complain that with flaps open the exhaust can drone at certain rpm, I never noticed any drone only the positives of the additional grunt to the exhaust note so kept them deactivated.

Correct me if I'm wrong Dan, but i think the what he means is the 7.5 has software to give more pops and bangs so this will be affected if you code for flaps at all times whereas, on the 7 it doesn't have this software so it shouldn't affect the car to have the flaps open at all times.

The 7.5R 100% has these pops and bangs mapped in and the flaps are key. When I deactivated them- open all the time, the exhaust is lifeless and completely muted. upshift farts, virtually nonexistent. No pops or bangs just a monotone exhaust note and very quiet. the flaps opening and closing are key imo. Others may have differing results and I appreciate I have the Akrapovic but the principle is the same, the flaps and coding are the same.

I’ve done extensive testing with both my current 7.5R and my previous 7R.
On the 7R, flaps can be permanently deactivated, giving more of a deeper tone and exaggerated burbles on the overrun. There are no pops or bangs on downshifts with stock 7R software only this extended overrun burble/muted pops with flaps deactivated.
Some people complain that with flaps open the exhaust can drone at certain rpm, I never noticed any drone only the positives of the additional grunt to the exhaust note so kept them deactivated.

Thanks for clarifying Dan, that really helped!

22 hours ago, 67MK7.5R said:

Correct me if I'm wrong Dan, but i think the what he means is the 7.5 has software to give more pops and bangs so this will be affected if you code for flaps at all times whereas, on the 7 it doesn't have this software so it shouldn't affect the car to have the flaps open at all times.

Crystal clear now, thanks 😬

13 hours ago, JJB said:

Yeah I agree with you, I do like pops and bangs but there is a limit. 

Yeah i’m keeping an eye out for a used Milltek non-res valved catback with the black tips.

There is a used one eBay but with silver tips for £950 (could probably negotiate it lower) but like you said I wouldn’t be willing to pay no more than £600 which is hard to come by especially with the valved catbacks being more expensive and the 7 catbacks don’t fit the 7.5 I’ve read. 

5 hours ago, Dan_7R said:

On my 7.5 estate (no flaps), the exhaust does drone if, say, going up a hill at 70mph and a touch over 2000rpm. Foot/ACC down enough to maintain speed, not quite enough to trigger a change down to 6th and it drones away. Outside of that, it seems to just have a bassier note than most cars whilst being a fraction louder - enough to remind me I'm in an R but little enough to be acceptable for family man driving a sensible estate ...

Yeah I agree with you, I do like pops and bangs but there is a limit. 

Yeah i’m keeping an eye out for a used Milltek non-res valved catback with the black tips.

There is a used one eBay but with silver tips for £950 (could probably negotiate it lower) but like you said I wouldn’t be willing to pay no more than £600 which is hard to come by especially with the valved catbacks being more expensive and the 7 catbacks don’t fit the 7.5 I’ve read. 
If the Remus is anything to go by then I would always go for valved & resonated. Non resonated will be just be like a res delete only louder and with more drone and vibration

On my 7.5 estate (no flaps), the exhaust does drone if, say, going up a hill at 70mph and a touch over 2000rpm. Foot/ACC down enough to maintain speed, not quite enough to trigger a change down to 6th and it drones away. Outside of that, it seems to just have a bassier note than most cars whilst being a fraction louder - enough to remind me I'm in an R but little enough to be acceptable for family man driving a sensible estate ...

The estate actually sounds pretty good with the different exhaust, louder than the hatch I believe.