KIRSTEN

Clutch slipping at 23,000

I have left my car into VW after me complaining for over a year about clutch and taking it to them 6 times they have finally taken the clutch apart to realise it needs clutch and flywheel replaced. The car is May 2016 and has only 23,000 miles on it and they have said it isn’t under warranty. What should I do?!?!?!? They said they r gonna try and get it covered and if they can I have to pay £300 for clutch kit. 

D764B546-1E40-470C-896F-38C3418AE811.jpeg

06AAA93D-5609-4AC9-8672-D5C5241C66A5.jpeg

How interesting, my clutch has started slipping @ 24k miles.  Although it was with jb1 fitted.  Which is now removed.  This sounds like a limitation of the clutch to me.

The clutches are really pretty poor. Not sure based on your wording, but if they're offering free labour to fit one, bite their hand off. And go for an aftermarket uprated one, sachs or helix. It's not even just a golf R thing, pretty much all performance VWs these days have weak clutches.

cause i bought it as a brand new car with 27 miles on it and has done it from the very start. 

It has been well documented (6 visits) from the very beginning. I’m sure it will be covered 100%. Just call VW corporate.

1 hour ago, KIRSTEN said:

cause i bought it as a brand new car with 27 miles on it and has done it from the very start. 

As above go beyond dealer and contact VWUK. If you have had trouble from the start they can't refuse.

Why replace it with a known weak point that will require replacing again, pretty common on S3/R manuals.
I have just had oodles of blue smoke off mine (ridiculously steep hill start) but doesn't yet slip at 32k miles but once it does will replace with a uprated sachs clutch to replace the OE sachs clutch.

I think the price of the OE is here

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/sachs-9477831.html

versus the price of the more appropriate one imo

https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/clutch-kit/performance-clutch-sachs/performance-clutch-kit-002352-999502

You have already done the hard work getting to the clutch. 

19 hours ago, MassMassa said:

I bit the bullet and my 21k slipping clutch was replaced for a Helix clutch. Best £895 I ever spent!

Scratch that. Apparently a clip missing in the cv boot (?) means repair which won't be covered by warranty. FS do decent mechanics exist anywhere?!

I'm afraid this is a common problem on the Golf R, I know only too well.  My second clutch is on its way out at 38,000 miles.  The only reason I stayed with the VW part is that my local dealer managed to claim the thrust bearing had failed so the clutch was changed under warranty last time.  This time I'll be swapping to either a sachs or helix clutch.