JJB

Any insurance whizzes?

Hi all, 

Not often I'm stumped when it comes to insurance but it's more of a testing the water thing. 

As some of you know I do a bit on ye olde YouTube. I'm wanting to review more cars as I did @Mitch's here: 

However the one thing missing from it for me is to actually drive the car, I know people will sometimes say "Well I'd of let you drive it" but I'd much rather be covered to save my own bacon, as well as everyone elses. 

I'm currently with Admiral at the moment and I cannot see any clause to say that I am eligible to drive other peoples vehicles, even under TPFT. However I've read in quite a few places that for this, I need to be 25... which unfortunately I'm not. Will this automatically be added on to my policy when I am 25? 

My insurance is due for renewal in April so there is potential to look for a policy that allows it. Just a little mixed in the head at the moment. Any info is appreciated. 

Speak to the insurance company. The normal practice used to be if u had ful comp insurance your are covered third party to drive another persons car provided there’s policy on that car. However. Insurance companies are starting to withdraw this but not state it or inform you. Not all but some. I’m with Hastings direct and they informed me that although fully comp I won’t be covered to drive another car. 

Just echoing what @slider09 has said but would you feel comfortable driving someone else’s pride and joy on a third party only basis?

If so then I know LV do allow you to drive other vehicles third party only (providing its insured) and esure do as well although I’m not sure if there’s a age limit. 

22 hours ago, JJB said:

Hi all, 

Not often I'm stumped when it comes to insurance but it's more of a testing the water thing. 

As some of you know I do a bit on ye olde YouTube. I'm wanting to review more cars as I did @Mitch's here: 

However the one thing missing from it for me is to actually drive the car, I know people will sometimes say "Well I'd of let you drive it" but I'd much rather be covered to save my own bacon, as well as everyone elses. 

I'm currently with Admiral at the moment and I cannot see any clause to say that I am eligible to drive other peoples vehicles, even under TPFT. However I've read in quite a few places that for this, I need to be 25... which unfortunately I'm not. Will this automatically be added on to my policy when I am 25? 

My insurance is due for renewal in April so there is potential to look for a policy that allows it. Just a little mixed in the head at the moment. Any info is appreciated. 

Veygo by Admiral. https://www.veygo.com/temporary-car-insurance/

always found them the cheapest as long as the car you’re borrowing has existing insurance.

Much better to pay £25-30 a day to be fully comp than to risk driving someone else’s vehicle third party because if you have a fault accident the insurance will only cover the third party 

Adrian Flux have an add on extension to their car policies that you can pay a small fee for and then drive any other car fully comp.

Thankfully I only have a week more cover left with these. Wouldn’t use these again to insure a lawn mower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there is any monetary gain involved, you’ll need a business policy. It may even be wise to look at a Motor Trade policy which gives blanket “any vehicle” cover.

Most policies are Social, Domestic & Pleasure and Commuting To A Single Place Of Work. Arguably, you’ll be using your policy In Conjunction With The Business Of The Policyholder (assuming you’re generating income from your videos), which would need a Business clause. Even commuting to more than one regular address for work is seen by some insurers as requiring business use cover!

If you’re making any money from this, you’ll find your cover may well specifically exclude Use For Monetary Gain (look at your schedule of cover), so play it safe & check.

If there is any monetary gain involved, you’ll need a business policy. It may even be wise to look at a Motor Trade policy which gives blanket “any vehicle” cover.

Most policies are Social, Domestic & Pleasure and Commuting To A Single Place Of Work. Arguably, you’ll be using your policy In Conjunction With The Business Of The Policyholder (assuming you’re generating income from your videos), which would need a Business clause. Even commuting to more than one regular address for work is seen by some insurers as requiring business use cover!

If you’re making any money from this, you’ll find your cover may well specifically exclude Use For Monetary Gain (look at your schedule of cover), so play it safe & check.

He won’t be earning money from YouTube. Got a very long way to go before he can gain income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk