Raiden

Lost car key

Not my car.

My niece is bf has lost his key for his 2002 Polo. He was gonna go to VW to try and get another but I bet it will cost a few hundred.

How can we get a new one cheaper? Ideally he wants to unlock and lock the car still with the fob. Muppet has buggered the original one which only just about works but it's falling apart

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Raiden said:

My niece is bf has lost his key for his 2002 Polo. He was gonna go to VW to try and get another but I bet it will cost a few hundred.

How can we get a new one cheaper? Ideally he wants to unlock and lock the car still with the fob. Muppet has buggered the original one which only just about works but it's falling apart

If it has an immobiliser chip then not many locksmiths can get them working as the chips are hard to source, plus the car needs coding to accept the new key (and you need to have all keys present at the time).  A VW dealer will probably charge heaps for a new one.

You may be able to get another fob housing and transplant all the guts to the new housing to fix the original fob (make sure you get the immo chip, some of them are small like a grain of rice, and being in a glass capsule they are easily damaged).

Not sure where you are, our local auto key smith is fantastic

https://keyfax-manchester.co.uk/auto-locksmith/

misses has a Suzuki and dropped her keys down a street grid which I was told was a bottomless drain !

They could replace the key without going to the manufacturer for just over £100

In the end I went fishing and got them out, stripped and cleaned dried for a day and all working 😁

ke.jpg