camelsac2002

BMW 435d Xdrive.

Anyone owned or driven one? Wondering what the driving dynamics are like,running costs etc. I know the monster torque will keep an R honest! Asking for a friend..........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would you want a diesel these days? Clogged up dpf, rising fuel & tax... I certainly wouldn't be buying a diesel unless I did 20k+ a year minimum

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, camelsac2002 said:

Anyone owned or driven one? Wondering what the driving dynamics are like,running costs etc. I know the monster torque will keep an R honest! Asking for a friend..........emoji48.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is he a tall slim bloke ? 

currently got a 335d f30 which I am going to sell...

the 4 looks better than the 3, but like the 3 will need some lowering springs to fix the jacked up stock ride height, this improves the handling, without you get a lot of body roll...

it's a comfy car, quick off the mark but being diesel feels a bit soulless, 

the new 3 series is out in a month or 2 this will affect the prices.

personally, I prefer DSG to the zf8 gearbox in the BM, the integration is better on the VAG's

overall it's a good car but it's not that great on fuel tbh i get mid 40's, I could probably get more if I didn't use the power but then I would have just bought an 320d.

how many miles is your friend doing?

currently got a 335d f30 which I am going to sell...

the 4 looks better than the 3, but like the 3 will need some lowering springs to fix the jacked up stock ride height, this improves the handling, without you get a lot of body roll...

it's a comfy car, quick off the mark but being diesel feels a bit soulless, 

the new 3 series is out in a month or 2 this will affect the prices.

personally, I prefer DSG to the zf8 gearbox in the BM, the integration is better on the VAG's

overall it's a good car but it's not that great on fuel tbh i get mid 40's, I could probably get more if I didn't use the power but then I would have just bought an 320d.

how many miles is your friend doing?

Only 50ish a day so I might sorry, he might just get another R but there's not many good three doors about.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'll be honest I did 10 miles a day in my astra diesel, some bigger mileage at weekend, but averaged about 7500 miles a year, didn't have one issue with the DPF. If it was doing a regen I would drive it until it stopped. Sometimes this involved 10 minutes of pointless driving mind.

On 21/01/2019 at 12:46, camelsac2002 said:

Only 50ish a day so I might sorry,emoji48.png he might just get another R but there's not many good three doors about.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

My other halfs parents have a 335d and its not usually even warm until at least 15 miles! Definate possibility of DPF issues

I had a 335d not long after they came out for a couple of years. The suspension on xdrive models is in fact SE level spec even if you bought an M Sport model. The suspension looks sky high and the handling is rolly polly and not confidence inspiring on the twistys. Adaptive suspension is  a must in xdrives. I fitted ACS springs to mine which improved it considerably. The anti roll bars are thinner than an sdrive model (such as a 330d sdrive) so BMW clearly did not have a performance orientated car in mind when they designed their xdrive cars.

The engine for a diesel is probably one of the best you'll get, its a 313bhp 6 pot which actually sounds reasonable for a diesel. However, you'll notice the nose heavy front end compared to the R. People say the R is not as nimble as the GTI ... you want to try driving a 6 pot xdrive diesel. 🙂 It weighs over 1700kg.

Upsides, trim and fit and finish is not bad but looking quite dated these days (hence the new 3 series just came out) and the boot is much bigger than a Golf. Mine did on average 38mpg so better than the R.

Bottom line, nowhere near as fun to drive as a Golf R 🙂

Rather than go the 335d route I went the 330d route.

as Dopper says above, swapping springs out was a good starting point - luckily ACS (Lorcan) provided some great discount.

BMW supplied a MPPK for the 330d, this was another great addition as it added BMW warranty power.

the 3.0 litre, 6.0 cylinder engine is a brilliant mileage eater.

without that extra turbo, the fuel economy on the 330d (even with MPPK) was better than the 335d.

the biggest problem with xdrive and AWD cars, is the driving can be bland from a sporty point of view, they do everything that's asked for without any issues

as for dpf issues, my work is 3miles away, drove that for 3 years and zero engine issues, likely as it was used heavily on weekend runs.

the new 3 series is out now, the new 4 series around 18 months to 24 months.

with my daily commute mileage changing from 6 miles to 70 miles, I am seriously debating another 330d Tourer (cheaper than an Arteon diesel)

So as my S3 heads towards 100k miles I shall be chopping it in as BIK tax costs me £359 a month and instead opting out of the car scheme, taking an allowance and I'm 90% sure I'm getting a 335D M-sport touring (2nd hand).

This car will be doing circa 30k a year. I will be claiming back mileage at 45p for the 1st 10k then 25p etc so this car ticks all/ most boxes.

0 - 60 as quick as my S3/ Golf R

50 MPG on the motorway

It won't be as fun but I can't think of any other car with the performance and MPG......

Ps. I know it rides too high but then again it will never see a track.

On 20/01/2019 at 18:21, SpursMadDave said:

Why would you want a diesel these days? Clogged up dpf, rising fuel & tax... I certainly wouldn't be buying a diesel unless I did 20k+ a year minimum

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have a feeling this will do an about turn shortly.  Diesels issues have been massively mis-reported in the news and by the government.  EU6 cars are in fact cleaner than their petrol counterpart and emit less NOx than the petrol equivalent.  I have had a DPF car in my 2010 Octavia and did 60k in it with no issues and currently have a 2014 Octavia with a DPF and is approaching 60k.  Again, no issues, although this does do a lot more active regens than my old one which is likely down to my commute consisting mainly of traffic!  That and Tesco diesel instead of Shell diesel which my old Octy exclusively ran on.

I have been looking at the 30 and 35d's myself in 3, 4 and 5 series guise as well as the new 45 and 50 tdi from Audi in the A6 or A7 but I can't make my mind up.  I have also pre-ordered a VW ID.3 so who knows what i will get in the end!  The BMW's appeal for the better MPG over the Audi's but i prefer the comfort of the Audi's as I do struggle with BMW seats with my back.  The ID.3 is basically just a punt as there are 28 charging points at my work so depending on the initial outlay it may work out a lot cheaper as I will never need to 'fuel' it at home.  That or there will be a waiting list and I can make a quick profit!

I have a feeling this will do an about turn shortly.  Diesels issues have been massively mis-reported in the news and by the government.  EU6 cars are in fact cleaner than their petrol counterpart and emit less NOx than the petrol equivalent.  I have had a DPF car in my 2010 Octavia and did 60k in it with no issues and currently have a 2014 Octavia with a DPF and is approaching 60k.  Again, no issues, although this does do a lot more active regens than my old one which is likely down to my commute consisting mainly of traffic!  That and Tesco diesel instead of Shell diesel which my old Octy exclusively ran on.

I have been looking at the 30 and 35d's myself in 3, 4 and 5 series guise as well as the new 45 and 50 tdi from Audi in the A6 or A7 but I can't make my mind up.  I have also pre-ordered a VW ID.3 so who knows what i will get in the end!  The BMW's appeal for the better MPG over the Audi's but i prefer the comfort of the Audi's as I do struggle with BMW seats with my back.  The ID.3 is basically just a punt as there are 28 charging points at my work so depending on the initial outlay it may work out a lot cheaper as I will never need to 'fuel' it at home.  That or there will be a waiting list and I can make a quick profit!
I've had a couple of diesel cars, both had DPF issues from time to time, we will seeing the diesel thing changes but I doubt it very much, diesel is close to petrol in price now so the savings are getting less and less, as I say I wouldn't consider one unless I was doing 20k+ a year and mostly motorway miles

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, SpursMadDave said:

I've had a couple of diesel cars, both had DPF issues from time to time, we will seeing the diesel thing changes but I doubt it very much, diesel is close to petrol in price now so the savings are getting less and less, as I say I wouldn't consider one unless I was doing 20k+ a year and mostly motorway miles

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The savings fuel wise are massive.  My other half has a 1.4TSI Passat with 150BHP.  She gets 38mpg on average.  I have a 185BHP 2.0TDI and I get 47MPG on average.  Over 15k that is 394 Gallons in the Passat and 319 Gallons in the Octavia.  Note that my Octavia is 5 years old with 60k on the clock so not as efficient as newer engines and the passat has 10k on the clock.  That is a saving of around 75 Gallons/340litres or around £442. On a motorway run (not commuting) I can get 55-57mpg and the passat around 44mpg.  Difference is still the same mpg wise plus I have an extra 35bhp and god knows how much more torque.  My R gets around 24mpg 😜

New petrols simply don't get anywhere near the quoted mpg due to the lack of torque over the diesels.