Hugh

(Super) Unleaded Petrol?

54 minutes ago, Bob said:

Remember that old gti was not tuned to run on super unleaded. The r is. Hence will make decent difference as car pulls back ignition. My stage 2 is tuned for 99 ron which i must use or risk damage to engine through pre ignition.

2 hours ago, dopper99 said:

Ar yes, just found it:

Results:

BP Unleaded 236.1bhp
BP Ultimate 236.7bhp
Shell V Power 240.9bhp
Esso Supreme 240.5bhp
Asda 235.8bhp

Not quite 10-15 bhp, but made a little difference 😉

I in fact have put premium fuel in all my cars and I do think they drive a little more livelier with it in. But I'm guessing that is down to an increase torque rather than bhp (as you can "feel" it). Its a shame they didn't show the torque figures in the vid.

Yea that’s it. I know the R is Super unleaded but I can’t see a 10/15bhp drop if on unleaded. It’s like vodka. A good vodka is hard to beat. It’s smooth and goes down nicely. No mixture needed. You have a good night and everything runs smoothly. Next more your tired because of the late night but don’t have a banging hangover. Then there’s cheap Asda vodka. Very rough, needs loads of mixture, u have a shit night and the next morning......... sore head gasket lol 

The problem with that test is that one you run lower RON fuel the ECU will pull the timing accordingly. When you then switch back to 98+ it will take some time to go back up to full power as the ECU will regulate the increases in a safe way until it is back to the regular timing map - it does this to protect against bad fuel.

The problem with that test is that one you run lower RON fuel the ECU will pull the timing accordingly. When you then switch back to 98+ it will take some time to go back up to full power as the ECU will regulate the increases in a safe way until it is back to the regular timing map - it does this to protect against bad fuel.
I said ecactly that on the FB page but was shouted down and told it corrects after a few miles either way... I don't bother commenting on there anymore...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

I said ecactly that on the FB page but was shouted down and told it corrects after a few miles either way... I don't bother commenting on there anymore...

IMO facebook car groups are infested with the sort of people who used to bullshit down the pub before the internet. The pubs are shut so now they're on the internet spouting the same old shite. Trouble is, only takes one popular member of a forum to say something and it becomes gospel regardless of fact.

Not surprised you stay away :D

IMO facebook car groups are infested with the sort of people who used to bullshit down the pub before the internet. The pubs are shut so now they're on the internet spouting the same old shite. Trouble is, only takes one popular member of a forum to say something and it becomes gospel regardless of fact.

Not surprised you stay away
I have a look through for a laugh mostly it's mostly the worst kind of going...

13 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

I have a look through for a laugh mostly it's mostly the worst kind of emoji90.png going...

They mostly come at night....mostly.

:D 

Has anyone in forum land tried BP's 102octane ultimate, I believe from a bit of sanity checking on the web it was

originally sold in a few garages primarily near circuits. Not sure if it still is though!?

I believe there is currently a Gulf garage within the confines of Silverstone that sells 102.

Would be interested if those who have gone st1,2 or 3 have ever tried it as it makes for some serious

power gains!

These topics are hilarious as ever.

People swearing their allegiance to a fuel brand as if their loyalty will be rewarded in some afterlife.

First point, the car is recommended 98, minimum 95. So there will be NO damage whatsoever caused solely by using 95.

As has been noted...car is sold in markets where 95 is all you get.

Second point, already been made, its a MASS produced car. Its sold in all sorts of markets, with huge variations in fuel quality.

It can take it. By design.

Which leaves just 1 thing to do. Try it yourself. If you feel that extra fizz when buying the good stuff and are happy to pay the difference. Then do. 

Regardless of what the internet tells you.

If you don't feel the fizz, know that you are not damaging your car, and are using it within the parameters of the manufacture spec.

4 hours ago, xPETEZx said:

If you don't feel the fizz, know that you are not damaging your car, and are using it within the parameters of the manufacture spec.

Makes me feel better - cheers! It's been niggling me that I bought my first ever new car, albeit pre-reg, then ran the first 2000 miles on 95 as I was too thick to read the sticker; worrying that I may have damaged it or that the ECU will dob me in to VW at first service time.

On 25/01/2019 at 14:06, dopper99 said:

Ar yes, just found it:

Results:

BP Unleaded 236.1bhp
BP Ultimate 236.7bhp
Shell V Power 240.9bhp
Esso Supreme 240.5bhp
Asda 235.8bhp

Not quite 10-15 bhp, but made a little difference 😉

I in fact have put premium fuel in all my cars and I do think they drive a little more livelier with it in. But I'm guessing that is down to an increase torque rather than bhp (as you can "feel" it). Its a shame they didn't show the torque figures in the vid.

As I stated, it takes a couple of tank fulls to allow the engine to adjust to the better fuel. Secondly, those cars are only putting out low 200 hp, not 300-400+ for a tuned R engine (it's not a fixed amount, it's a % increase typically). And thirdly, they are using 97-98RON as super unleaded, not 99RON - every little helps.

I've seen plenty of dyno reports from MRC showing way more than 10-15ps increases from running sh1t fuel then swapping to 99RON - just look at their FB page.

As I stated, it takes a couple of tank fulls to allow the engine to adjust to the better fuel. Secondly, those cars are only putting out low 200 hp, not 300-400+ for a tuned R engine (it's not a fixed amount, it's a % increase typically). And thirdly, they are using 97-98RON as super unleaded, not 99RON - every little helps.

I've seen plenty of dyno reports from MRC showing way more than 10-15ps increases from running sh1t fuel then swapping to 99RON - just look at their FB page.
Apparently you are wrong as I was when I said almost the same on the R FB page, I was educated that the R only needs about 10 miles to adjust to fuel type... I don't comment on there so much anymore...

48 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

Apparently you are wrong as I was when I said almost the same on the R FB page, I was educated that the R only needs about 10 miles to adjust to fuel type... I don't comment on there so much anymore...

You might not comment on the R FB page much but you sure talk about it a lot. 😜