R 4 life

Digital or analogue dash

3 hours ago, R 4 life said:

I prefer the look of the analogue dials more driver focused and look well crafted,digital look too flat and will get pixelated and fade in time.

If that helps you sleep at night 😏

8 hours ago, R 4 life said:

I prefer the look of the analogue dials more driver focused and look well crafted,digital look too flat and will get pixelated and fade in time.

Well, there’s a new thread, random musings of new members with no signature...

As a happy mk7 owner, old school dials are ok for now. If or when I decide to upgrade the R for a mk8 I only hope the digital dash is brought up to the standard of the Audi's, the Golf dash looks a bit bland and as already said, flat.

I like digital Dashes (?) which have a bit of depth to them. Like the BMW 5er ones, where you have the Arcs around the speedo and rev counter.

It might limit what you can display where a little, but takes care of flatness.

Also like half-and-half, like some of the Porsche ones. Where you have a physical rev counter but digital around.

Not overly keen on the 7.5 digital dash. But then I didn't overly like the headlights either, but having seen a fair few in the flesh now thing I prefer them.

So if I ever upgraded to that 7.5R estate I want...the dash would probably grow on me?

This battle has already been fought and lost by analogue.

Multi function displays have been a thing in aviation for decades.  That's because they are more efficient and effective than analogue displays even if they are "flat". 

Analogue dials, along with clock work and bakerlite phones, are dead, they just don't know it yet.

I think that digital displays "get old" sooner, while analog don't. I like them both, but on a car that I'm planning to keep for several years I'd prefer the analog. 

This battle has already been fought and lost by analogue.

Multi function displays have been a thing in aviation for decades.  That's because they are more efficient and effective than analogue displays even if they are "flat". 

Analogue dials, along with clock work and bakerlite phones, are dead, they just don't know it yet.

So that hoes for manual transmission too then?

I like my analogue dials but woukd t mind digital, just not the poor version in the VWs at the moment, hopefully they improve before it's the only option I have

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The digital display looks great and being a nerd I loved having loads of info displayed on my loaner a few months ago.

Having said that, jumping back into my MK7 the analogue dials genuinely brought a smile to my face! 

Both are cool, but the future is digital for sure.

1 hour ago, SpursMadDave said:

So that hoes for manual transmission too then?

I expect there will always be a place for manual transmission until driverless becomes ubiquitous i.e. humans stop driving for all intents and purposes.

I expect there will always be a place for manual transmission until driverless becomes ubiquitous i.e. humans stop driving for all intents and purposes.
If I was the kind of person that hard to have a manual then I would have to have analogue dials I think

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I love the digital display. When using the Nav the central unit shows an overview of the map whilst the digital dash zooms in for all the little details and clues as to which lane to be in. Its a really clever system thats been useful many times in new towns and cities.