R 4 life

Digital or analogue dash

1 hour ago, Martin2 said:

Not at all, that’s just what I call it because thats what it is!  I’ve even had the badges taken off as I don’t care what other people think.   If I was bragging I’d share the spec 😉😁

No pipe and slippers either, too young for all that, got it because I do a lot of mainly motorway miles (30k/year) and wanted a petrol V8 while you can still buy one in a decent size saloon.

This is what I plan to do when the R goes, although as my little one will be in nursery still, will have to settle for a M135i / M140i, then go up to the BMW M5 (or audi S6). Although I do prefer the sound of the AMG v8 - so thats is a possibility too. Need a V8 in my life for at least a year, always get a v8 when visiting america if possible.

To me the digital dash is half hearted in the Golf, I was hoping for the audi system, not the one we ended up in.

Hoping the MK8 will be a lot better.
It's almost like they made is 2nd rate so it wouldn't compete with the Audi one, maybe next gen Audi will move on and the current Audi one will move down to the VW

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think the 7R analogue dials are an absolute classic and I never tire of looking at them every day.  Digital dash is ‘progress’ but I’m hoping it will have progressed to something significantly better then the very flat half arsed lacklustre 7.5 offering by the time the mk8 comes around! 

19 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

I think the 7R analogue dials are an absolute classic and I never tire of looking at them every day.  Digital dash is ‘progress’ but I’m hoping it will have progressed to something significantly better then the very flat half arsed lacklustre 7.5 offering by the time the mk8 comes around! 

I'm sure it will be. The one in the new Polo is already better than the one in the 7.5R..

It's almost like they made is 2nd rate so it wouldn't compete with the Audi one, maybe next gen Audi will move on and the current Audi one will move down to the VW

Some people will still moan and want what the next Audi has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The analogue dials on a 7R are beautiful to behold. The most stylish part of a well styled car. 

Far nicer than the bland offerings on the GTI and GTD. 

The actual dials on the 7.5R are a dreadful cop out style wise. Reasonably clear but a total washout as regards to style. 

The fact the map can be shoved between the gauges is a great idea as the infotainment screen is too low to look at properly unless you’re sat parked up, and a fat lot of good it is then. 

I had a quick look at a new shape MQB A1 S Line last week. The infotainment screen was much better positioned and the dials were much much nicer than the Golf’s; stylish and clear to read in equal measures. 

Manual gearbox and analogue dials for me.

I have a few motorbikes and my preference has always been analogue rev counter with a digital speedo...........oh yeah all with manual gearboxes as well :)

Digitisation/configurability to the most part is change for changes sake, a reason to charge more and give the customer the perception of getting more........just wait until the car is say 10yrs old + and something goes wrong.

I have a few motorbikes and my preference has always been analogue rev counter with a digital speedo...........oh yeah all with manual gearboxes as well

Digitisation/configurability to the most part is change for changes sake, a reason to charge more and give the customer the perception of getting more........just wait until the car is say 10yrs old + and something goes wrong.
Good point as us MK7 owners with analogue dials have the best of both worlds as we can have the speed in digital nice and big between lovely blue needles

20 hours ago, vdpmsd said:

I have a few motorbikes and my preference has always been analogue rev counter with a digital speedo...........oh yeah all with manual gearboxes as well :)

ETTO, I for one like modern advances, I look back at my first few cars and thank god there has been a move to higher tech and digitisation, drum brakes, no power steering, no air con, no electronics at all and woefully under powered engines..... and that's just a start, everyone says modern tech will fail and be expensive in the future, but that's just not how it works out, it gets cheaper and more reliable, my first few cars continually broke down, sadly mechanical stuff fails as well. No moving parts... you could argue less to go wrong!  Just like cars, I look back at old computers and operating systems... I doubt anyone would go back to DOS or Windows 3.1 and Intel 80286 processors!! 😉

ETTO, I for one like modern advances, I look back at my first few cars and thank god there has been a move to higher tech and digitisation, drum brakes, no power steering, no air con, no electronics at all and woefully under powered engines..... and that's just a start, everyone says modern tech will fail and be expensive in the future, but that's just not how it works out, it gets cheaper and more reliable, my first few cars continually broke down, sadly mechanical stuff fails as well. No moving parts... you could argue less to go wrong!  Just like cars, I look back at old computers and operating systems... I doubt anyone would go back to DOS or Windows 3.1 and Intel 80286 processors!! 
I don't mind higher tech and digitisation but it's just not done very well in the 7.5R unfortunately. As mentioned hopefully the next gen will be much better

^^ missing the point above, not against change that makes a fundamental difference to capability......

Do digital speedos do anything better than a modern analogue speedo, just look different and neither is any more accurate than the other.  Is a modern overweight hot hatch any more fun than a 1990s hot hatch, safer and faster maybe but fun?

All of your examples are showing significant performance benefits (power has never been hard to come by) e.g. drums to discs clearly have a benefit.

My view is that modern manufacturers are taking us all step by step and managing our transition to where they want us to be.....automation, I can't remember anybody saying oh man what I really really need is my infra red head up display, no wait a second what i really really need is my sat nav (that I managed perfectly well without for 20years) to be displayed in my instruments so I have to look down, wait another second what I really really need is cr4ppy touchscreen interface in the middle of the dashboard to distract me and never select what I really want........radio2.  To combat that I will now introduce voice control yet my 1990s AX GT had a big friggin push button with the number2 on it that was radio2 :)

Thinking about it, I have never had an issue with a PC or laptop.........not.

Hehe

It's not really a question of just viewing it as progress, we had analogue watches, then digital and now Apple watches etc, but the best and most sought after watches are still analogue.

The benefit for me with a digital cockpit is being able to customise it and although I haven't used one day to day the biggest gripe I read about on here is that is lacking with the R one