Jeff R

Show us your ‘post WLTP’ Golf R’s

3 hours ago, SpaceMonkey said:

why are they terrible?

The wet performance from these is shocking, dry isn't bad when they're warm. The upside is they wear pretty well as the compound is hard. Had Potenzas on our old Golf. Never ever again. Worst tyre I've ever driven on.

Pilot Sports are soooooo much better.

2 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

They are far from terrible, just noisy and hard ride. I swapped from 18" bridgstones to 19" MPS4S and the ride improved!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

So you agree the Pilot Sports is a much better tyre....hmm but the Potenza isn't terrible :D If that's the only performance tyre you've driven on before the PS4s then fair enough but there are bucket loads of better tyres out there.

Wet performance is some of the worst I've ever experience in a "premium" tyre. Never again.

So you agree the Pilot Sports is a much better tyre....hmm but the Potenza isn't terrible If that's the only performance tyre you've driven on before the PS4s then fair enough but there are bucket loads of better tyres out there.

Wet performance is some of the worst I've ever experience in a "premium" tyre. Never again.
Absolutely the michelins are better but the Bridgestone are not that terrible that's all in saying, I wouldn't buy them but I wouldn't take them off if my car came with them. I've had michellins, contis and bridgstones on Rs and plenty of different types on many other cars too. I think it is the Rs suspension and set up that doesn't match the bridgstones as I've had RE050As on other cars with no issues, although again swapped to Michellins when they were worn.
Things in general especially on forums get blown up out of all proportion these days I find

1 hour ago, SpursMadDave said:

Absolutely the michelins are better but the Bridgestone are not that terrible that's all in saying, I wouldn't buy them but I wouldn't take them off if my car came with them. I've had michellins, contis and bridgstones on Rs and plenty of different types on many other cars too. I think it is the Rs suspension and set up that doesn't match the bridgstones as I've had RE050As on other cars with no issues, although again swapped to Michellins when they were worn.
Things in general especially on forums get blown up out of all proportion these days I find

Fair enough. Don't think I'm jumping on that forum bandwagon of slating the Potenzas, I hated them the minute the golf arrived, well before all of that started. IMO they are awful, I didn't remove them from the car though as I'm not into throwing money away :) Wouldn't ever choose to buy them though.

That said the TTS turned up with PZeros which was nice but I think I was expecting more from them. Not bad by any stretch but I'm looking forward to chucking Michelins on in due course. Not a fan of the cost mind...20" tyres ain't cheap!

Anyway...sorry for the distraction...back to facelift motors :D 

Which Bridgstone version is fitted to the 18" wheels?

I've got S001s on my BMW and they're very good.  Ride comfort is good and traction is surprisingly good, it just goes in the dry with no wheelspin, which I think is very good for 480 lb ft and RWD.

Fair enough. Don't think I'm jumping on that forum bandwagon of slating the Potenzas, I hated them the minute the golf arrived, well before all of that started. IMO they are awful, I didn't remove them from the car though as I'm not into throwing money away Wouldn't ever choose to buy them though.

That said the TTS turned up with PZeros which was nice but I think I was expecting more from them. Not bad by any stretch but I'm looking forward to chucking Michelins on in due course. Not a fan of the cost mind...20" tyres ain't cheap!

Anyway...sorry for the distraction...back to facelift motors  
Yeah agreed not worth taking off, at the end of the day they are a competent if not exciting tyre, for the average user a decent option but would never actually buy them

Which Bridgstone version is fitted to the 18" wheels?

I've got S001s on my BMW and they're very good.  Ride comfort is good and traction is surprisingly good, it just goes in the dry with no wheelspin, which I think is very good for 480 lb ft and RWD.
Not sure what version but even if the same it's a completely different car so could be wonderful on yours but woeful on another, I would definitely try michellins though you would maybe change your mind...

2 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

Not sure what version but even if the same it's a completely different car so could be wonderful on yours but woeful on another, I would definitely try michellins though you would maybe change your mind...

PS4S will be going on the Golf when the time comes to change, but I’m sticking with RFTs on the 750 and will get the same again.

17 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

As long as you are happy then that's all that matters emoji106.png tyres are a very personal thing

They are and can work differently on one car vs another

Picked up mine a few weeks ago, driving it sensibly can be rewarding, but not fun 😄 didn’t think I’d see those kind of figures. 

491281A5-9FE8-4539-956D-D672409E9615.thumb.jpeg.cab4f50676ab6f9a1a9d65e80440a871.jpeg04567CD5-75EE-446C-9E99-DDBCDA2D3A72.thumb.jpeg.4996dcee876f9dbad073e930e8201251.jpegBCCB1B76-E76E-4A23-B5BA-D9C7CE588C87.thumb.jpeg.90b96190e0a0512beb61a5079d90de5e.jpeg