Hi Ladies/Gents, 

Not signed up before but I have used this forum for advice in the past. 

I don’t want to be seen to just be joining a forum to slate a company but has anyone else had the welds go on their Milltek back box?

Below is the state of mine (valved non res) been on the car 22,000 miles and 3 years so really shocked by this, Milltek aren’t willing to replace either since I’m the second owner although I have the original invoice, all been offered is a discount on a replacement which I think is a bit shocking. 

Any thoughts or has anyone had the same issue?

99D14A19-8A14-4C48-83AF-B180E740B4CB.jpeg

A754759A-6F66-45B3-A215-80D15677D091.jpeg

I’ll never go milltek again after having a similar experience with the milltek exhaust on my vxr. I’ve also seen this happen to loads of others and as you say milltek didn’t want to know. 

Looks like corrosion and/or fatigue has started internally where it was welded, and progressed to full perforation.  Caused by poor choice of materials and possibly design/technique issues as well.

Not very impressive that the company is not standing behind their product when it looks like it was faulty.

Cheers for the reply, sorry to hear you had the same, what did you end up doing with the vxr?

Seen that some of the Audi boys have had the same issue with their tfsi engined cars but couldn’t find anything on the 7r. Currently seeing if consumer rights 2015 and a pic on their Facebook will do anything, it’s ridiculous considering the cost these things are going for. 

20 minutes ago, WelshGolf-er said:

Cheers for the reply, sorry to hear you had the same, what did you end up doing with the vxr?

Seen that some of the Audi boys have had the same issue with their tfsi engined cars but couldn’t find anything on the 7r. Currently seeing if consumer rights 2015 and a pic on their Facebook will do anything, it’s ridiculous considering the cost these things are going for. 

I bought the exhaust second hand, although it had done less than a thousand miles when I bought it. I had it on my car 18 months and noticed it started sounding like it was blowing which got worse pretty rapidly. Got underneith the car and couldnt believe what I saw, looked very similar to yours. I’ll see if I can find pictures. 

Milltek didn’t want to know as I wasnt the one who purchased the exhaust even though the original owner gave me an invoice. Ended up replacing it with a remus but sold the car not long after anyway (not due to the exhaust). 

Someone actually bought the milltek off me as they were going to weld it up ans put it on a track car but I’m not sure if he ever did. 

I have seen one person get a replacement off them but he put it straight on ebay and bought a different brand anyway. I’ve seen the welds on the joints crack on quite a few millteks too. 

Ps: where in wales are you from? There are only a handful of us welsh on here. 

So thanks everyone for the replies, not good that you’ve had similar experiences. 

Woke up to an email this morning stating that they were replacing the back box FOC, they ask in return that I remove any negative posts on social media or forums, I said I would remove the review on their FB page as soon as the back box had arrived and I had ensured that it was the correct one.

Had an email later this afternoon to say that they have sent the exhaust and it is due for delivery tomorrow so fingers crossed. 

Just hoping the current one isn’t to much of a pig to get off and that it is dry at some point over the weekend!

23 hours ago, E-V-A-N-S said:

I bought the exhaust second hand, although it had done less than a thousand miles when I bought it. I had it on my car 18 months and noticed it started sounding like it was blowing which got worse pretty rapidly. Got underneith the car and couldnt believe what I saw, looked very similar to yours. I’ll see if I can find pictures. 

Milltek didn’t want to know as I wasnt the one who purchased the exhaust even though the original owner gave me an invoice. Ended up replacing it with a remus but sold the car not long after anyway (not due to the exhaust). 

Someone actually bought the milltek off me as they were going to weld it up ans put it on a track car but I’m not sure if he ever did. 

I have seen one person get a replacement off them but he put it straight on ebay and bought a different brand anyway. I’ve seen the welds on the joints crack on quite a few millteks too. 

Ps: where in wales are you from? There are only a handful of us welsh on here. 

Ahh I’m from Aberdare but I live down Southampton now so not often home. 

Where abouts are you??

What exhausts do most people recommend for the golf? I haven’t got the original so I’m probably just going to hope that this revised box is better and get it fitted as soon as I can. 

39 minutes ago, WelshGolf-er said:

So thanks everyone for the replies, not good that you’ve had similar experiences. 

Woke up to an email this morning stating that they were replacing the back box FOC, they ask in return that I remove any negative posts on social media or forums, I said I would remove the review on their FB page as soon as the back box had arrived and I had ensured that it was the correct one.

Had an email later this afternoon to say that they have sent the exhaust and it is due for delivery tomorrow so fingers crossed. 

Just hoping the current one isn’t to much of a pig to get off and that it is dry at some point over the weekend!

Thats a result I suppose. I wouldn’t want to put a milltek back on mind you, but atleast it wont cost you anything to rectify. 

36 minutes ago, WelshGolf-er said:

Ahh I’m from Aberdare but I live down Southampton now so not often home. 

Where abouts are you??

What exhausts do most people recommend for the golf? I haven’t got the original so I’m probably just going to hope that this revised box is better and get it fitted as soon as I can. 

Ah not far from me, I’m from Ebbw Vale.

There is a big variety of exhausts available for the R. Remus, BCS Power Valve, Scorpion, APR and a few more. I’ve got a BCS Power Valve cat back on mine and I love it. I see Nige posted a topic earlier saying they have a spring sale on and we get forum discount ontop so may be some nice savings to be had. 

Everyone has their own preference but the most common on here seem to be the remus and power valve I’d say. 

3 hours ago, E-V-A-N-S said:

Thats a result I suppose. I wouldn’t want to put a milltek back on mind you, but atleast it wont cost you anything to rectify. 

Ah not far from me, I’m from Ebbw Vale.

There is a big variety of exhausts available for the R. Remus, BCS Power Valve, Scorpion, APR and a few more. I’ve got a BCS Power Valve cat back on mine and I love it. I see Nige posted a topic earlier saying they have a spring sale on and we get forum discount ontop so may be some nice savings to be had. 

Everyone has their own preference but the most common on here seem to be the remus and power valve I’d say. 

Another Valleys boy then! 

Thanks for for the tips, I’ll fit the milltek for the minute but will definitely take a look at the Remus and Power Valve options 👍

On 07/03/2019 at 03:04, WelshGolf-er said:

Another Valleys boy then! 

Thanks for for the tips, I’ll fit the milltek for the minute but will definitely take a look at the Remus and Power Valve options 👍

I wouldn’t discount the Scorpion either, I have the Scorpion and I’ve not heard anything bad about them, some people think it sounds better than the milltek. 

I can’t comment on that as I’ve not heard them back to back to compare. 

4 hours ago, Scotty2hotty said:

I wouldn’t discount the Scorpion either, I have the Scorpion and I’ve not heard anything bad about them, some people think it sounds better than the milltek. 

I can’t comment on that as I’ve not heard them back to back to compare. 

Scorpion definitely sounds better than the milltek imo.