invisiblekid

T-Roc R News and Reviews

Dilutes the brand in terms of the uninformed who will likely merge R and R Line into one now and not even give a thought to what the differences are and in someway raised the GTI brand to this demographic - the Golf R will always been seen by the informed as the true R

When I see a T-ROC - R on road it will not be with any clamor or envy, it will likely just be a meh and a feeling that glad driving the true R :)

2 hours ago, Hertsman said:

Dilutes the brand in terms of the uninformed who will likely merge R and R Line into one now and not even give a thought to what the differences are and in someway raised the GTI brand to this demographic - the Golf R will always been seen by the informed as the true R

When I see a T-ROC - R on road it will not be with any clamor or envy, it will likely just be a meh and a feeling that glad driving the true R :)

I'm sure that's how the R32 boys felt too 'back in the day'. For me the R brand should be applied to most models, just like the S and RS brand at Audi. The R should be the range topper for each model. Arteon R anyone? Yes please. 

3 hours ago, invisiblekid said:

I'm sure that's how the R32 boys felt too 'back in the day'. For me the R brand should be applied to most models, just like the S and RS brand at Audi. The R should be the range topper for each model. Arteon R anyone? Yes please. 

Yes and no.

with the TCock all they are doing is putting a bigger engine,  sports suspension and shoving an R on it. The interior, the rear visibility, seat comfort, all the stuff an owner lives with is utterly crap and very low budget.

my biggest issue with the Golf being an R is down to the VW model line up food chain.

Yes an Arteon R would be good, better tech kit etc.

models higher in the range above the Golf get things like HUD, better kit etc, something that would really make an R stand out.

the 1 / 2 series with BMW suffers from being at bottom of the BMWfood chain, hence 140 and 240 have crap options.

Think the T ROC - R is the beginning of the extended branding of R through the ranges, much as Audi do the S and RS series, the problem with the T-ROC R as stated, is its a rubbish place to start, as the interior quality truly lacks any lustre and some of the economy trimming on materials is extremely noticeable. 

Obviously the higher the food chain such as an Arteon, then the lustre and tech of the car would sit much better with the R badge.

Changes like this only solidify the GTI iconic and immediately recognisable label with the general public and its a shame you simply cannot option AWD on the GTI as personally would be happy to trade some HP for the GTI styling - Traction is my main requirement. 

4 hours ago, Hertsman said:

...its a shame you simply cannot option AWD on the GTI as personally would be happy to trade some HP for the GTI styling - Traction is my main requirement. 

You just need the older versions of the Golf R then.  You can save some money on depreciation too 😉

On 15/03/2019 at 09:40, Hertsman said:

Think the T ROC - R is the beginning of the extended branding of R through the ranges, much as Audi do the S and RS series, the problem with the T-ROC R as stated, is its a rubbish place to start, as the interior quality truly lacks any lustre and some of the economy trimming on materials is extremely noticeable. 

Obviously the higher the food chain such as an Arteon, then the lustre and tech of the car would sit much better with the R badge.

Changes like this only solidify the GTI iconic and immediately recognisable label with the general public and its a shame you simply cannot option AWD on the GTI as personally would be happy to trade some HP for the GTI styling - Traction is my main requirement. 

This last comment is echoed by a line in the Car magazine review referred to above..

"Volkswagen has pledged to keep the GTI badge for its purist hot hatchbacks; however, it's quite happy to let go-faster SUVs wear the R moniker". In other words, "R" is now for Revenue.

Sure, Audi milk the S range, but you don't see them messing too much with the flagship (RS) range.

1 hour ago, PhilC22 said:

This last comment is echoed by a line in the Car magazine review referred to above..

"Volkswagen has pledged to keep the GTI badge for its purist hot hatchbacks; however, it's quite happy to let go-faster SUVs wear the R moniker". In other words, "R" is now for Revenue.

Sure, Audi milk the S range, but you don't see them messing too much with the flagship (RS) range.

Not so sure about the RS range, it's pretty much in every model line up.

RS3 x 2, RS4, RS5 x2, RS6, RS7, RS Q3, RS TT x 2.

yes missing an RS1 (which would be utterly mental lol) but it's definitely over majority of range.

i have zero issue with them keeping GTI for the Golf but happy for higher models to get R badge, arteon, Passat would be fine with full blooded 300 plus BHP.

although a Passat R would likely clash with S4.

34 minutes ago, Gavras said:

Not so sure about the RS range, it's pretty much in every model line up.

RS3 x 2, RS4, RS5 x2, RS6, RS7, RS Q3, RS TT x 2.

yes missing an RS1 (which would be utterly mental lol) but it's definitely over majority of range.

i have zero issue with them keeping GTI for the Golf but happy for higher models to get R badge, arteon, Passat would be fine with full blooded 300 plus BHP.

although a Passat R would likely clash with S4.

Fair point, I should have been clearer.

I am of course aware of the various RS models but they are all stylish high performance cars* ("hyper hatch", "hyper saloon, etc) and I can't by any stretch think of the T ROC R in the same way. As @Hertsman said, it is just a bad place to start with this "R-rollout strategy". It is, after all, just a Golf R on stilts (so handling is bound to be inferior) and - perhaps more importantly - it looks like any other boring compact SUV. A high velocity turd is still a turd.

* With the exception of the RS Q3. I have to admit that I was unaware of that one - a 'contradiction in terms' in my book.

As long as the R means more than a higher output engine and some trim/badge changes (suspension/brakes) then I don’t have an issue with every model in the range having an R version.

The driving position is a lot more comfortable for me than sitting on the floor as you do with saloon and hatchback cars. I bought one because it was getting awkward getting in and out of my hatchback car. A Tiguan was too large for our needs, so this is just right for me as I am nearly 75.

On 13/03/2019 at 21:21, blower said:

Agreed! - i bet many a salesman says they removed the soft touch materials to reduce weight!

It's just a cheapened Golf R with next to no (if any) extra interior room, that's been raised up and given a fat body kit. These crossovers are pointless, they have no extra room inside and just tonnes of air space in the outer skin to give them the fat SUV look.

I don't get this new found obsession with wanting to have a high upright riding position like ya driving a bloody bus! If i wanted that i'd get a VW Sharan - at least that thing has enough room to fit a sofa in. The T-roc is neither one thing nor the other.

At least I backside is not scratching the ground. I don't like having to sit on cushions to get comfortable, I would have gone for Tiguan, but it is too large for our needs. I always prefer sitting up high, van style.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.