MJG

Updating / Changing Navigation Mapping

Hi, Having recently brought our 2016 Golf R back from Australia we are looking to both update the media system and replace the Australian maps with the current UK versions.

Would anyone know whether its just a case of buying a new SSD card with UK Maps or if there are any other changes we need to make? if so where would be the best place to buy/download- have to admit i'm not that great with technology.

Probably should mention that we bought the car new from a VW dealer  in Aus, would really appreciate any assistance with this.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

have you come across this ? 

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads#/

Download discovercare app, and plug your map SD into the PC and run the software.

You should be able to select the area mapping you desire.

I’m not sure that being your car is from Oz would make a difference. Anyone else please correct me if this isn’t so.

Good luck Mark.

Thanks Alfredo,

yes , i saw that but to be honest it looks like is outside of my capabilities , if we have the old SSD would it just up date that or do i need to put in a new blank card?

I guess i can give it a try.

Thanks so much.

Hi Mark, 

I’m sorry to read that. You have a couple of choices. 

1) Pop in to your VW dealer locally and ask for them to show some goodwill and assist you.

2) Ask a friend.

You would need to use the original SD card, and updating the map will update the map for Oz, not the UK. 

Where are you genetically based ? If your home counties north of london, i’d be happy to help.

Thanks so much for that,

Had a look at the web site and noticed one of the options was that the dealer could supply a new card , unfortunately the local dealer said they couldn't help - very disappointing really! 

We bought the car new from the dealer in Aus and have the original SD Card , yesterday though we bought a new SD card  so will try to follow the process of downloading the European maps from that link. looking at the process it seems we select the care  followed by the type of nav system and then choose which set of maps we would like?

Are there any other options ? the Nav system is essential for us at the moment!!!

We're near Reading in Berkshire, if there are any more local places that could assist that would be great or we may take you up on your offer.

Cheers 

Mark

Only just seen this, I have an SD card from a previous system which I updated the UK And Europe maps on late last year. If you struggle and can't get yours working it's yours for the price of a stamp

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I messed up my card when I tried to update it, that was using an Apple Mac though!

In the end I bought a used one from eBay for £30, or take Dave up on his kind offer, you just need to make sure it’s the right number on the card.

Morning Mark,

some people have had had some success with buying SD cards and others haven’t. I have tried and been successful but I found I did have to spend out on a reputable SD for it to work.

When choosing your option, select the one that you want and follow through the screen prompts and ok them. 

My download of 6Gig with a 38Mbps took around 1hr

If you aren’t successful, let me know and I’d be happy to assist you directly.

I updated my maps this Tues just gone and opted for Europe 1 as I do like a drive over to France and Belgium.

Oh and I did my update on a PC, not a Mac, But there is a choice of which software you use, for your respective operating system. 

Ive experienced no issues with updating maps for the last 10yrs

Thanks all ,

We bought a Sandisk SDHC 32GB card and we'll try that - although the process seems reasonably straight forward it's our computer skills that are at question!!!

i'll probably leave the original VW card as is for now as it has the Australian mapping on and i don't want to confuse it as much as me.

Cheers 

Be aware that it takes a long time to complete the download and then for the app to copy to your card and it iwll use all your band width while downloading so be patient and start the process when you have no other need for the computer