ReapSTAR

Is the Akropovic Exhaust worth it?

Is the Akropovic Exhaust worth it?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Akropovic Exhaust worth it?

• Yes
    • No

Is it worth it? Only you can say whether you would think £3k to make a 4 pot sound louder worth it. All you will get asking that is personal opinion based on personal preferences. That you even ask leads me to believe that you want it. If you do, go for it. 

Me - its a 4 pot and always will be. It also makes DSG farts seem louder which really is NOT a good thing. I have an Estate and find the exhaust something I really do not want to make louder. 

I have to admit i was in 2 minds when i got my R which came with it (dealer demostrator). 

I originally thought i will sell this for £2k+, buy a normal exhaust and pocket over £1.5k

Having had the R for 2 months now - its staying!. It adds so much drama when you are going for it, and i know i will miss it if i sold it.

Yes the DSG farts are more brutal, but again its all part of the drama. It sounds as good as a 4 pot will, with a lot of deep growl and woosh that ya hear even with windows up.

As a test to see how much 'sound' can have an impact, i set engine sound to eco - which basically keeps the valves closed and severely mutes the exhaust, the car just didn't feel anywhere near as powerful, esp when booting it from a 50mph+. It just adds to it all, its of course purely subjective and the extra power you 'feel' is imaginary but without it the car isn't the same.

Is it worth £3000? - nope, it is overpriced, but it's arguably the best exhaust ya gonna get for an R. You can get a milltek, it sounds good but not as deep - plus milltek quality is garbage (back box welds rust). This being all titanium - rust isn't something that will ever happen. 

There is also the bragging rights :D (altho that can go both ways as some ppl will think ya mad to have paid £3k for it!).

I have to admit i was in 2 minds when i got my R which came with it (dealer demostrator). 
I originally thought i will sell this for £2k+, buy a normal exhaust and pocket over £1.5k

Having had the R for 2 months now - its staying!. It adds so much drama when you are going for it, and i know i will miss it if i sold it.
Yes the DSG farts are more brutal, but again its all part of the drama. It sounds as good as a 4 pot will, with a lot of deep growl and woosh that ya hear even with windows up.

As a test to see how much 'sound' can have an impact, i set engine sound to eco - which basically keeps the valves closed and severely mutes the exhaust, the car just didn't feel anywhere near as powerful, esp when booting it from a 50mph+. It just adds to it all, its of course purely subjective and the extra power you 'feel' is imaginary but without it the car isn't the same.

Is it worth £3000? - nope, it is overpriced, but it's arguably the best exhaust ya gonna get for an R. You can get a milltek, it sounds good but not as deep - plus milltek quality is garbage (back box welds rust). This being all titanium - rust isn't something that will ever happen. 

There is also the bragging rights  (altho that can go both ways as some ppl will think ya mad to have paid £3k for it!).
Be interesting to compare it to a Remus, I love the sound of mine and it's a full catback system so a much better (arguably) option if you intend to tune as bigger bore from the cats.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

Be interesting to compare it to a Remus, I love the sound of mine and it's a full catback system so a much better (arguably) option if you intend to tune as bigger bore from the cats.

You can get close to the same sound with an aftermarket catback - and for some people subjectively better. Regardless of system a catback and bigger bore will do nothing for tuning unless you are pushing 500+ bhp and are completely decat (no sports cat) - even then its single digit hp gains. 

I do like Akro tips tho :) - not seen that style on anything else and it's nice having them completely part of the exhaust and not just clipped / riveted on. They clean easy too.

As for the op's question - i think it is telling that personally i would have never have spec'ed it from factory, as at 3k it's too much, but i was never really into loud exhausts, i doubt i would have ever even put an aftermarket catback on. I certainly wouldn't resonator delete (absolutely hate drone)

I just like it now that i got it and it's price was effectively reduced via 2nd hand value.

You can get close to the same sound with an aftermarket catback - and for some people subjectively better. Regardless of system a catback and bigger bore will do nothing for tuning unless you are pushing 500+ bhp and are completely decat (no sports cat) - even then its single digit hp gains. 

I do like Akro tips tho  - not seen that style on anything else and it's nice having them completely part of the exhaust and not just clipped / riveted on. They clean easy too.

As for the op's question - i think it is telling that personally i would have never have spec'ed it from factory, as at 3k it's too much, but i was never really into loud exhausts, i doubt i would have ever even put an aftermarket catback on. I certainly wouldn't resonator delete (absolutely hate drone)
I just like it now that i got it and it's price was effectively reduced via 2nd hand value.
Yeah hiflow cats or decats are better for flow for sure but extra bore is always a help and also makes the exhaust sound deeper, I had 2 R's and put a res delete on both which was nice but absolutely night and day compared to a full catback

Just be good to hear a few different options all together to compare them, not saying any system is better than another all everyone wants different things from theirs set up

If your planning on modding don't get it as you'll still need to get a down pipe you may as well save your money.

I've got my Remus & my wingbacks (both used), a JB4, aftermarket wheels And pedal box (all new) for around the same price as a new Akra

1 hour ago, SpursMadDave said:

I've got my Remus & my wingbacks (both used), a JB4, aftermarket wheels And pedal box (all new) for around the same price as a new Akra emoji16.png

This is the thing.

i think the question should rather be, 'Is the Akropovic worth the price or are they other aftermarket options, such as Remus'

I personally would go the Remus route, however a 2.0 4 pot does limit itself when compared to 'proper' engines.

again it's a personal car fashion option, if you have the spare cash then just go for it.

15 minutes ago, Legoless said:

Had both 7.5R without one and I am not sorry for upgrading to one with it. The sound is the best in my personal preference, it is overpriced, sure, but I don't regret the money weirdly.. Will go with Akrapovic downpipe as well, when modded.

Out of interest, on a long journey, do you not find the aural "attack" a bit too much? I'm driving across France on the w/end and would happily do the 600 miles in near silence (well save for the twisty mountain roads).

29 minutes ago, Charles M said:

Out of interest, on a long journey, do you not find the aural "attack" a bit too much? I'm driving across France on the w/end and would happily do the 600 miles in near silence (well save for the twisty mountain roads).

This is exactly what I was a bit worried about, because I do around 3k miles per month and this would be a real problem. But it's actually really great, I just put it in comfort, drive normally and it's quiet enough.

1 hour ago, Charles M said:

When driving normally, if not in race mode, then you barely hear it. The valve control will keep it quiet....only when you put your foot down and the valves open does it come alive.