NIGEL

New R 400bhp

1 hour ago, goodbadboy said:

The new Mk 8 Golf R probably won't have anywhere near 400 BHP..(which is a shame)....but once I go Stage 2 with my Mk 7 R ...Mine will...:afro::smiley::lol:

This in a nutshell ūüĎć

Well, I expect the MK8 R to go 20-30HP higher than the current version, that is the one that makes sense. GTI can then remain below 300, around TCR numbers I would say. And no electrical power yet, maybe on facelift. And 2.5 TFSI is confirmed for 2021 RS3, so not going higher than 430 BHP I would say.

No chance, living in a dream world if you think VW will roll out an R with 400bhp (Unless its a limited run special edition).

mk4 'R'32 - 237bhp

mk5 'R'32 - 246bhp

mk6 'R' - 266bhp

mk7 'R - 295

mk7.5 'R' - 295/306

mk8 'R' - 400, really? a 100bhp jump from the current car, when over the last 17 years we've gone up from 237 to 310 and back to 300.

The article was about an 'R-Plus' - this being a model that would be offered in addition to the ordinary R; as a competitor to the Merc A-whattsitsnumber. I've binned the mag, but I think they had heard the R would be 320 ish, and the R-Plus 390 ish.

10 hours ago, SC84 said:

No chance, living in a dream world if you think VW will roll out an R with 400bhp (Unless its a limited run special edition).

mk4 'R'32 - 237bhp

mk5 'R'32 - 246bhp

mk6 'R' - 266bhp

mk7 'R - 295

mk7.5 'R' - 295/306

mk8 'R' - 400, really? a 100bhp jump from the current car, when over the last 17 years we've gone up from 237 to 310 and back to 300.

My guess for the Mk 8 R would be 330BHP...:smiley:......(Although I'd love it if it was 400 BHP)....Dreams are free...:lol:

1 hour ago, Dunc245 said:

The article was about an 'R-Plus' - this being a model that would be offered in addition to the ordinary R; as a competitor to the Merc A-whattsitsnumber. I've binned the mag, but I think they had heard the R would be 320 ish, and the R-Plus 390 ish.

Indeed Dunc. I've still got the article and nowhere in it did they suggest there wouldn't be a "standard" R alongside a possible R Plus.

VW insiders have claimed it will be the ‚Äúmost extreme and powerful Golf yet‚ÄĚ

We further asked the janitor what it will look like, they claimed "It will have wings and everything"

Ya gotta laugh, it took almost a year to actually deliver WLTP models, they have delayed the Mk8 in general until 2020, the vanilla Mk8 Golf R is still in development and probably won't really land until late 2021 and yet apparently there will be a 'halo' 400bhp Golf R coming out at some point in the unknown distant future.

Yeah....and If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a volkswagon.

1 hour ago, blower said:

VW insiders have claimed it will be the ‚Äúmost extreme and powerful Golf yet‚ÄĚ

We further asked the janitor what it will look like, they claimed "It will have wings and everything"

Ya gotta laugh, it took almost a year to actually deliver WLTP models, they have delayed the Mk8 in general until 2020, the vanilla Mk8 Golf R is still in development and probably won't really land until late 2021 and yet apparently there will be a 'halo' 400bhp Golf R coming out at some point in the unknown distant future.

Yeah....and If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a volkswagon.

Just noticed article was dated April 1st. ;)

The other thing that needs considered with any VW plan on new cars is their 2025 strategy.

the VAG appear to be looking to VW's move to full electric to fund other parts of the group.

the reason behind this is down to the new EU emissions rules coming in from 2022 and 2025, I think it's like for every 4 electric sold you can sell a petrol without paying emissions tax to EU, it emissions based so might be say 10 electric golfs for an RS3 etc.

Only way I can see a Golf plus doing 400bhp is with added electric boost.

then there is that £45k cost, with options we are then over £50k for a Golf... likely without things like HUD, or new tech from Audi parts bin, just the usual Audi hand you downs.

would anyone actually spend £45-£50k for a Golf?

19 hours ago, Gavras said:

would anyone actually spend £45-£50k for a Golf?

I can't imagine many people would, not if an RS3 with that fabulous 2.5L 5-pot engine is available for a similar price.