Typical MK7 R Battery Life?

Yesterday my battery died at slightly over 39 months and 36K miles.  Seems pretty typical to me, not only for Rs but also factory batteries in most cars.  What is the experience of others on the forum?   I called the VW dealer in case there were any special instructions for jump-starting (none) and to price a new battery.  The multi-deck parking lot at work offers complimentary "Ambassador" service to assist drivers in distress, but they were unable to get me going.  A call to the AAA Auto Club was more successful.  Maybe I'm behind the times, but I wasn't aware that the Club-sponsored technician assesses the condition of the battery, alternator, drains on the electrical system, etc. and, if needed, can fit a new battery on the spot from a supply in his van.  Turned out to be $55 cheaper than what VW asks, with slightly longer warranty, on site service, and greater convenience as additional incentives.  Do UK-based auto clubs provide comparable service?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Battery life in modern cars is a lot lower than it ever used to be - primarily because of the huge drain of all the electrical systems they now have.   If you primarily do short journeys (le

Unfortunately even if you code Auto stop/start off permanently that doesn't change the BMS algorithms, so the battery is never fully charged.  This is the main reason why batteries often don't last as

Think the battery points are 10mm and you need a 13mm socket with extension for the battery tray. I figured if vw tried to charge me id be over a barrel and they would want £££s.  £130 ish for an

Posted Images

Battery life in modern cars is a lot lower than it ever used to be - primarily because of the huge drain of all the electrical systems they now have.

If you primarily do short journeys (less than 10 mile commutes) daily, then battery life can be as low as 2-3 years.

At best i have found batteries in my VW Golf's for past 14 years have rarely lasted more than 4 years before they are done, regardless.

My last Mk6 golf, the battery was toast in just under 3 years - but i mainly do short journeys.

Car batteries nearly always die of sulfation - which is a result of them never getting to 100% charge. Once a battery drops to 70%, it can take a few hours driving to bring it back up to 100%...it's a common misconception that an hour's drive can charge a battery. A battery can be quickly charged to 70% but that final 30% takes many hours and if the battery is permanently stuck at 50-70% then it will die in as little as 2 years from sulfation.

Modern cars drain the battery heavily with just the ignition on, and listening to the radio or stopped for 10 minutes with lights etc on will knock it down a fair bit, then combine that with stop start draining the crap outta it all the time and you will find you can be down to less than 70% easily - and once that happens unless you do long commutes daily or put it on a charger for a few hours, it will never get back up.

Hmm, I think my battery is stuffed. I've had it on a CTEK charger for several days, but it still says "12 V battery low", and then when I try to start, it does nothing. 

image.thumb.png.a1a2894257784abff4c5e6b72afa7c62.png

I also get a message "Error: workshop! Leave vehical only when selector lever is in position P.", but I'm hoping that's connected to the low battery, rather than anything else!

image.png.8454eeeadc402b1326aa86b0c7ea1b7c.png

followed shortly after by this...

image.png.c692b5e42e5a0542937406423c6a7ac3.png

I'm thinking it's got to the stage that it can't be recovered, even by the CTEK on a recondition charge 😞

Would be interested to know what batteries people have gone for please, and whether it's an easy job to fit them, or a garage job (not sure how I can get mine to a garage if it won't start?)

I got a replacement via VW, as my friend is a tech & gets discount. The battery needs adapting via software. It functions fine without, but the car needs to be told which battery it has, so that the various modules boot up/shut down correctly. Popping in to get mine adapted tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Juicetin said:

Whats the best replacement battery chaps, any recommendations ? 

I've always been partial to Interstate batteries (don't know whether these are sold in the UK).  The AAA tech told me their AAA-branded batteries were repackaged Interstates, but the service guy said the same thing about VW batteries, so I take it all with a grain of salt.  As long as they install the correct battery for the R, I'm not so concerned in this instance.  With a three-year no-cost replacement warranty and an additional three years prorated, I doubt I'll keep the car long enough to pay full battery replacement.  When the old battery was disconnected and the new one installed (took less than five minutes to make the switch), I got the expected warning light show and had to make a couple of resets.  But things quickly settled down.  Everything seemed normal during this morning's commute.

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Out of the blue, my battery is now reaching the end of its life. Seems it hasn't got enough juice after being parked for about 5 hours.  Only gave a few warning signs over the weekend, then was flat this morning.  Car is now 3 years 3 months old.

I have bought a Bosch 096 AGM S5 A08 from Euro but it seems you cant really fit these yourself, is that right?

The car has to be told it has a new battery/reset, or is this a dealer myth?  I cant see it say as such in the manual...…

Thanks

2 hours ago, ferraridomuk said:

Hi all

Out of the blue, my battery is now reaching the end of its life. Seems it hasn't got enough juice after being parked for about 5 hours.  Only gave a few warning signs over the weekend, then was flat this morning.  Car is now 3 years 3 months old.

I have bought a Bosch 096 AGM S5 A08 from Euro but it seems you cant really fit these yourself, is that right?

The car has to be told it has a new battery/reset, or is this a dealer myth?  I cant see it say as such in the manual...…

Thanks

I believe these cars have a "smart" BCM (battery control module) and do need to be told if a new or different battery is fitted.  Otherwise the replacement battery will not be maintained optimally and therefore won't last as long.  

Batteries don't seem to last as long on newer cars as on older ones.

Had to replace mine just after buying the car - 5 years, 9000 miles.

It had done a lot of sitting...

Replace with an AGM one and you should get a bit more life... stop/start systems are about as unkind lives for batteries as you could design.

Edit: Yep, you need to code ANY new battery (not just changing to AGM) with OBDEleven/Carista/VCDS  - same type, just update the serial number so it resets it charging speeds etc... different type, you need to tell it that too.