DGC888

Newbie Hello

Hi All,

Im new to the forum. This looks like the best forum for MK7-7.5 R's, so thought id join up and gather as much info as possible before splashing the cash on a MK7 R.

Look out for some dumb questions in the general chat section 😁

Cheers

Hi and welcome. The search is part of the fun.  And the wait. Haha.  R Golfs easily and quickly become an obsession.

loads of stuff on YouTube to help get a handle on the car and ownership.

they say there’s no such thing as a silly question....

nobody starts out as an expert .  Forum seems happy to help and advise about all aspects of owning, driving and buying. 

Lots to like. 

Keep uspostedre thoughts, preferences and your choice. (Add pics)

Cheers!

20 hours ago, DGC888 said:

Hi All,

Im new to the forum. This looks like the best forum for MK7-7.5 R's, so thought id join up and gather as much info as possible before splashing the cash on a MK7 R.

Look out for some dumb questions in the general chat section 😁

Cheers

Welcome to the forum David....Ask as many R questions as you like...Lots of knowledgeable R folks on here...:welcome::thumbsup:

I am also new. I purchased a 2019 golf r manual indium gray 10 days ago and may also be asking some odd questions. I traded in a 2015 GTI DSG with perf package, which I loved, but have always wanted an R and when I test drove the DSG and the manual, I found myself quite enamored with the manual. Chose it even though the DSG is supposed to be quicker. 

Anyway, glad to be a part of this forum now. 

Cheers, 

JZ

4 hours ago, Jim Z said:

I am also new. I purchased a 2019 golf r manual indium gray 10 days ago and may also be asking some odd questions. I traded in a 2015 GTI DSG with perf package, which I loved, but have always wanted an R and when I test drove the DSG and the manual, I found myself quite enamored with the manual. Chose it even though the DSG is supposed to be quicker. 

Anyway, glad to be a part of this forum now. 

Cheers, 

JZ

Welcome to the forum Jim and Congrats on the new R...:welcome::afro:

Thank you goodbadboy. I've been reading the threads and if I'd known how fun VWROC was I would have bought an R long ago!

I haven't done a scientific study but it seems like most of the participants are from the UK - is that right? I see you are a Kiwi. I spent two weeks in your beautiful country back in 1983. I'm from the smack-dab middle of the USA.

Separately, I don't have much interest yet in tuning my R. Seems like just getting to know the stock vehicle will be an adventure for quite a while. 

But do folks have a sense of how long is ideal to just enjoy the original version before upping the HP and torque? Also, how much fuel economy is lost with say a Stage 1 tune? I didn't buy the R primarily for fuel economy of course but it does matter to me some. 

Thank you goodbadboy. I've been reading the threads and if I'd known how fun VWROC was I would have bought an R long ago!
I haven't done a scientific study but it seems like most of the participants are from the UK - is that right? I see you are a Kiwi. I spent two weeks in your beautiful country back in 1983. I'm from the smack-dab middle of the USA.

Separately, I don't have much interest yet in tuning my R. Seems like just getting to know the stock vehicle will be an adventure for quite a while. 

But do folks have a sense of how long is ideal to just enjoy the original version before upping the HP and torque? Also, how much fuel economy is lost with say a Stage 1 tune? I didn't buy the R primarily for fuel economy of course but it does matter to me some. 

Different for everyone I guess, some will never do anything others drive straight from the forecourt to the tuner!

Ultimately it's your decision, our job here is to provide peer pressure

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Jim Z said:

HI Jim, it too me about a week before I tuned my GR7....Don't get me wrong...its an awesome car stock, but in tuned forms its even more awesome.....(if you call 0-100 kmh in under 4 seconds awesome)...:lol:....I came from a Mk 5 R32...then a GR6 and now my Mk 7 R and tuned them all....and am planning to go to Stage 2 eventually with this R......I would of kept this one stock for a while, but tuning them increases the driving pleasure exponentially...:afro:...Must be time you came back to NZ for a visit...:smiley:

1 hour ago, SpursMadDave said:

Different for everyone I guess, some will never do anything others drive straight from the forecourt to the tuner!

What Dave said...:afro:

4 hours ago, Jim Z said:

I don't have much interest yet in tuning my R. Seems like just getting to know the stock vehicle will be an adventure for quite a while. 

You'll know when its the right time to tune it Jim...:afro::wink::smug: