Lethalbrizzle

Hello, but not the best of starts

Picked up my 2017 lapis blue golf r on Thursday, from Harrogate VW. Was after 7pm before I set off on the 100 mile trip home. Gearbox error illuminated 3 times on the way back 🤨

Car also reporting that it needs a service in 2 months, oil looks black and washer fluid not topped up, but dealer insists it has been fully serviced. I have no service book to verify.

Also the spare key battery needs replacing, already.

Other than that I love it so far!

Welcome to the forum!

:welcome:

Sorry to hear you’re not off to the best start with your new R.  Sounds like a trip ba k to the dealer!  I hope you get it sorted so you can you get on and enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, Lethalbrizzle said:

Picked up my 2017 lapis blue golf r on Thursday, from Harrogate VW. Was after 7pm before I set off on the 100 mile trip home. Gearbox error illuminated 3 times on the way back 🤨

Car also reporting that it needs a service in 2 months, oil looks black and washer fluid not topped up, but dealer insists it has been fully serviced. I have no service book to verify.

Thats crap i hope you get everything sorted. just an FYI Cars since late 2016 i think? have an electronic service book so no physical copy.

1 hour ago, Lethalbrizzle said:

Welcme to VWROC, lots of useful info and helpful people around here.

Is the gearbox error telling you to select Park ?  If so it is a common fault with a sensor in the gear selector mechanism - the fix is to replace the console mechanism.  You should be covered by VW warranty at any dealer.

Fob batteries don't last as long on recent VWs, some people have to replace every 12 months.  You will need a CR2025 coin cell battery, I suggest you buy a good quality one from a reliable source (there are some quite convincing fakes around).  I use RENATA brand batteries in my vehicles.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm told there is no service book, just like the BMW I had before, but they haven't shown me anything either. I've just checked the airfilter though and it looks like new so I guess they are to be trusted....

Being bank holiday I can't get much joy out of them, but I did get hold of a manager who will be arranging collection tomorrow.

It does say anything about Park. Just gearbox error, ok to continue. Seems to behave fine, and only seems to appear once it's warmed up.

I've already spent 30 minutes making the exhaust tips shiny again too. The inner two where carbon'd up good and proper

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm told there is no service book, just like the BMW I had before, but they haven't shown me anything either. I've just checked the airfilter though and it looks like new so I guess they are to be trusted....

Being bank holiday I can't get much joy out of them, but I did get hold of a manager who will be arranging collection tomorrow.

It does say anything about Park. Just gearbox error, ok to continue. Seems to behave fine, and only seems to appear once it's warmed up.

I've already spent 30 minutes making the exhaust tips shiny again too. The inner two where carbon'd up good and proper
Hopefully nothing too major with the gearbox then, there is an error that comes up telling you to put it in park, something to do with communication between the box and the gear selector. If it comes on after a bit of driving maybe it is heat causing the issue? Low gearbox oil level maybe but if they are picking it up all well and good, hopefully have it back and sorted in no time

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Lethalbrizzle said:

Regarding the Gearbox error message, I had this coming up intermittently on journeys over an hour.

i had the mechatronics unit replaced.

18 hours ago, Lethalbrizzle said:

Me thinks a quick trip back to the dealer asap to get everything sorted...:sad:.Congrats on a great car...Hopefully all the issues get sorted asap to your 100% satisfaction...PS..Welcome to the forum...:welcome:

You didn't state your mileage, but it may be due a dsg service?

Also, if it's been in the VW network from new I would recommend getting the haldex filter cleaned asap as not sure if dealers actually do this.

Is it 40k dsg service and haldex filter clean? I’m picking mine up on Sunday and it’s 40k.

Official intervals are:

Haldex - 3 years
DSG - 40k miles (distance based not time)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 23/04/2019 at 07:59, golf7.5r said:

You didn't state your mileage, but it may be due a dsg service?

Also, if it's been in the VW network from new I would recommend getting the haldex filter cleaned asap as not sure if dealers actually do this.

It's just covered 14k mile.

The update is on Tuesday they came over to pick up my car and drop off a brand new golf GTi courtesy car. It's actually really nice. Has keyless, a sunroof, and the speed limits in the Nav. Quite surprised they drove mine back rather than a transporter, given they told me not to drive mine.

They phoned me Thursday to tell me the gearbox in my car is out and in bits whilst they deal with a known issue!! The sales guy didn't elaborate further, but I suspect it's the mechatronics. They said it should be ready mid-next week. If that doesn't fix it they said it's a new gearbox. 

They also reset my service indicator and put a new battery in the key. 

I'm optimistic, but it's starting to worry me a little!