Mark 46

Whining noise on cold start

7 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

And yet its comments like that which get all the likes... imo it's the off topic stuff that makes this place what it is emoji106.png

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

All things in moderation. 👍  

2 hours ago, Jeff R said:

Both my 2016 mk 7 & 2019 WLTP R does this noise, my 2015 blue R & my 2016 Black R did not though, odd 

I have a theory that it is the alternator that is making the noise and the difference is some cars (particularly the older ones) are supplied with a 140A alternator, which is Bosch....and mainly the newer ones come with Valeo 180A alternators. Valeo alternators are known to be crap and can whine under load from new. 

ETKA does show only Valeo available for 180A alternators, it also shows there is a 140A Bosch option for some Golf R's.

Perhaps the whine only happens when there is a heavy load on the alternator (i.e. cold starts), on the Valeo 180A....

I'll have to test this theory as i would like to get rid of the whine, it is annoying and makes the car sound crap when driving out from my estate.

I have a theory that it is the alternator that is making the noise and the difference is some cars (particularly the older ones) are supplied with a 140A alternator, which is Bosch....and mainly the newer ones come with Valeo 180A alternators. Valeo alternators are known to be crap and can whine under load from new. 

ETKA does show only Valeo available for 180A alternators, it also shows there is a 140A Bosch option for some Golf R's.
Perhaps the whine only happens when there is a heavy load on the alternator (i.e. cold starts), on the Valeo 180A....

I'll have to test this theory as i would like to get rid of the whine, it is annoying and makes the car sound crap when driving out from my estate.
Now you have made me think it was my previous R that made the noise.... [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, PHILC said:

I agree, but you've gotta have a laugh every now and then, life would be very dreary without.

It would be very dreary without. It’s a balance, a bit of banter, whilst keeping things relevant to the topics, that’s what makes the forum a such a friendly and informative place.  But of late there’s been a good few threads going well off topic so it’s nice to try to strike that balance. :)

I notice a slight whine inside on cold starts (geez it hit 10 degrees last night here in Melbourne...❄️😬) but only when I crank the heater up to above 18 degrees (I think) can I hear it.

Is it possibly an accessory pump to direct hot water straight to the HVAC to give immediate heat up in the cabin/demist? 

We don't get the optional climate windscreen here, not that's that makes much difference to this issue discussed...

Had a listen to this under the bonnet the other morning. Mines doesn't sound like it's coming from the alternator.  

Even with the bonnet open it still sounded much louder at the rear of the drivers side (right hand) wheel arch, so it sounds like it's coming from the lower rear of the engine area.

Anything to do with the DSG hydraulics?

I have always 

noticed this on My 7.5R a small whine for a couple of rotations from cold .

I always thought it may be the rubbish water pump housing issues some R’s get 🤔

still there after 27000 miles.

Mine is a 64 plate and makes the same noise but seems to speed up/get louder with higher revs, if I get a spare hour over the next couple of weeks i may whip the alternator belt off and start it without it for a few seconds to see if it’s still there. 

Sounds like a muted version of this:

I also hear it very muted on warm days... When I asked at the dealership, they insisted it was the alternator bearing, and not to worry unless it persisted for more than a few seconds. The advisor I spoke to said he heard it all the time on bitter cold mornings.

E

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk