Mark 46

Whining noise on cold start

Not noticed mine whine when stationary as such but it does give a whine sound when turning the wheel (more noticeable at full lock) as i do a 3 point turn on my driveway to pull off when its cold. Not noticed it once its warmed up though or at any other time for that matter. (15 plate)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to know whether we're all discussing the same whine.  My MK7 R whined briefly on start-up regardless of ambient temperature but not while driving.  Never paid much attention to it.  Haven't noticed it in the MK7.5 so far, but I'll listen for it. 

Agree i dont think what mine does is what was originally mentioned by the op or others. When i say cold i dont mean ambient temperature, im referring to the car itself ie engine/oil isnt warmed up. Might have to try and get a recording of it just for reference here to see if its a similar sound to others. It actually kind of sounds like worn/rusty discs grating if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an update to this...I have pretty much confirmed the noise is from the alternator and it only affects models with Valeo alternators (primarily 180A)

Jeff R kindly provided me with 3 registrations of cars - 2  that he said whined, 1 that didn't

Of the 2 that didn't whine i have confirmed they were fitted with 140Amp Bosch alternators.

The noise occurs when the alternator is under heavy load and outputting at the higher 14.4v level to rapidly charge the battery.

To clarify - this is a whining noise that can be heard at low speeds (particularly when driving round a housing estate and the noise reflecting off walls nearby). The noise changes with rpm, can be heard when reving at idle/parked. It lasts for a while - usually until oil temperature hits 50c but sometimes less - depending on state of charge of the battery. If you find stop/start is activating from cold, then it will tend not to whine as it won't be trying to rapidly charge the battery.

This whine is not to be confused with the 'cow moo' sound you get for a second when starting an older Golf R (pre-facelift, usually 2014/2015 models). Also its not the gear noise some people have complained of on the 6 speed DSG - as the gear noise would not be heard in neutral/park.

I get a strange noise on for about half a second on start up. Mines a FL. Sounds like a loud whine but goes away, I'm guessing it's the starter motor... Always done it. 

On 10/05/2019 at 14:52, blower said:

Just an update to this...I have pretty much confirmed the noise is from the alternator and it only affects models with Valeo alternators (primarily 180A)

Jeff R kindly provided me with 3 registrations of cars - 2  that he said whined, 1 that didn't

Of the 2 that didn't whine i have confirmed they were fitted with 140Amp Bosch alternators.

The noise occurs when the alternator is under heavy load and outputting at the higher 14.4v level to rapidly charge the battery.

To clarify - this is a whining noise that can be heard at low speeds (particularly when driving round a housing estate and the noise reflecting off walls nearby). The noise changes with rpm, can be heard when reving at idle/parked. It lasts for a while - usually until oil temperature hits 50c but sometimes less - depending on state of charge of the battery. If you find stop/start is activating from cold, then it will tend not to whine as it won't be trying to rapidly charge the battery.

This whine is not to be confused with the 'cow moo' sound you get for a second when starting an older Golf R (pre-facelift, usually 2014/2015 models). Also its not the gear noise some people have complained of on the 6 speed DSG - as the gear noise would not be heard in neutral/park.

This almost wants to make me downgrade my alternator to make the dreadful whine noise stop

i wonder if they’re the same fit, as in interchangeable & same mounting points etc, do you have a part number for the Bosch unit

48 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

This almost wants to make me downgrade my alternator to make the dreadful whine noise stop

i wonder if they’re the same fit, as in interchangeable & same mounting points etc, do you have a part number for the Bosch unit

I've managed to significantly reduce the whining noise - by fitting the full reinforced undertray/skid plate.

It seems to block a lot of reflected noise from the engine bay,  so you hardly hear it now - plus the oil gets up to temperature much quicker so it hits 50c quicker and hence stops whining altogether. Thankfully I have not noticed higher running temps yet, early days as only installed it yesterday.

The 140A bosch alternator (which should fit all Golf R's and be a direct swap) : 06K903024A (supersedes 06J903023A)

Maybe try turning off stop start to reduce load on the battery, a lot of cars have a seperate battery for stop start dont they?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Some cars might, ours do not.

Most cars just use a larger battery and starter to deal with the added loads. Along with some added sensors and programming to run the system.
E

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Some cars might, ours do not.

Most cars just use a larger battery and starter to deal with the added loads. Along with some added sensors and programming to run the system.
E

Yes I know that was my point, extra load on the alternator so turning it off might alleviate the whining or at least limit it a bit

Yes I know that was my point, extra load on the alternator so turning it off might alleviate the whining or at least limit it a bit

Ah... Might do. Thought you asked about an extra battery install.

Anyways - no worries.

I suspect this is a cheap large clearance bearing issue.

Mine now exhibits the same noise as described and has got progressively louder over time on first starts. Nothing like the whine I posted earlier when I filmed a cold soak start at -20C, just a light hum that quiets but remains present until fully hot (as described by others) - I suspect some tolerances in the pulley bearing closing up with temperature; silencing the hum. This has got worse as the car wears, and will likely spell the doom of the alternator on some bitterly cold soak start...
E

Did anyone ever manage to determine the 100% cause of the noise that the OP posted?

I've just got a 2019 model and it has the exact same noise until it has warmed up. I had the dealership try to look into it last week but got nowhere. One day they were saying they couldn't reproduce the noise that I demonstrated to them via a recording of my car (as when I delivered the car, it was warm so didnt make the noise). But then the next day they said they had the alternator disconnected and it still made the noise. The following day they said they couldn't reproduce it. I asked them to check the alternator because of this thread. They checked March 2019 registered car and said it has the 140 Bosch alternator.

So, I'm still at a loss as to what the source of this noise is and how to get it resolved.

4 hours ago, TechieAli said:

My 64 plate didn’t do this my 19 plate does goes quite within a minute or two. Usually before I drive off after getting out and closing the garage door.

I have not previously owned an R, but a GTI.  I have a 2019 R.  Is the buzzing racket not the Haldex Pump “powering up” on starting, takes a while to shut up after switching off too. ?
Or is this something altogether different.🤔