Mark 46

Whining noise on cold start

Might be late to the party with this thread 4 pages in - but my 2017 (pre-WLTP) R makes that exact sound as in OPs YouTube video. Since day 1 of ownership. 

Sometimes it makes very high pitched squeaks for a split second during the whine as well. I'll try record it.

17 hours ago, NRW said:

I have not previously owned an R, but a GTI.  I have a 2019 R.  Is the buzzing racket not the Haldex Pump “powering up” on starting, takes a while to shut up after switching off too. ?
Or is this something altogether different.🤔

I think thats a fuel pump  or motor moving or something. The whine is quite distinct high pitch noise like the video.

8 hours ago, Ignition1 said:

Might be late to the party with this thread 4 pages in - but my 2017 (pre-WLTP) R makes that exact sound as in OPs YouTube video. Since day 1 of ownership. 

Sometimes it makes very high pitched squeaks for a split second during the whine as well. I'll try record it.

I’d be interested to hear that, to compare it to mine. Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Mark 46 said:

Mine doesn't seem as loud now 👍

Yours is still doing it though Mark? No change to how it was when you started this topic back in April last year?

3 minutes ago, Mark 46 said:

Mine doesn't seem as loud now here is new video this morning. Thanks Mark 👍https://youtu.be/zuWUfsVoUtY

Thanks for the updated video, Mark.

That 100% sounds like it has improved since your first video last year. Mainly noticable on very first startup for a few seconds but then it fades and can only just be very slightly heard when you rev it (though I suspect that disappears too when it has warmed up).

Encouraging to see that it has got better with time, and not worse! It puts my mind at ease to know it's (hopefully) not detrimental to the actual engine - it's just annoying.

I would say mine currently very closely resembles (in terms of severity) that of the Blue R, that I previously posted in this topic. Thankfully, once warm, it does seem to completely disappear, and only presents itself again once the car has been left to cool down for a good few hours (and then, it's not as pronounced as when it's left to completely cool, say overnight).

I've taken mine to 2 different dealerships in the last few weeks. Neither of which seem to know for sure what's causing it. I mentioned the vibrating heatshield thing, which resolved the issue for the owner of the blue R in the previous YouTube video, and they did find some areas of heatshield that had clearly been vibrating against some areas of the car as they could see marks that it had left, so they have adapted those areas, but it has made no difference.

I got the impression that the dealerships are only prepared to spend so long investigating this sort of noise (under warranty), when there isn't any sort of 'failure', before calling it a day, and telling me to come back if/when it gets worse 😕

I'm not sure where to go with mine from here really. Take it to another dealership? One of the main problems Im having is getting the technicians to actually hear it for themselves, which often means leaving the car there overnight, and often then, when the tech arrives the next day, someone has already moved the car, so they have to try again a few hours later, and then the noise isn't that pronounced so they have trouble properly hearing it. And when it only lasts for a couple of minutes from stone cold, it doesn't give them long to determine the source.

How many miles has your car done now mine is about 4400 and have you shown the dealer the video of the noise. Hopefully you will get it sorted or it will go on its own but it's just so annoying. Thanks Mark 🍻👍

I’ve only had the car for about 3 weeks. I’m the second owner. I bought it at 5,500 miles and I’ve only put a few hundred on it so far.

i have played the video of the blue R to both dealerships, but they seem to struggle to hear mine as much as the video for some reason. I also played them a recording of mine from cold which they acknowledged they could hear. But whenever I leave it with them, they seem to come back saying they couldn’t really hear it?! Yet whenever the car is at home and I start it from cold, it’s blatantly obvious, as per the blue R video.

Edited by Starnzy

3 hours ago, Starnzy said:

I’ve only had the car for about 3 weeks. I’m the second owner. I bought it at 5,500 miles and I’ve only put a few hundred on it so far.

i have played the video of the blue R to both dealerships, but they seem to struggle to hear mine as much as the video for some reason. I also played them a recording of mine from cold which they acknowledged they could hear. But whenever I leave it with them, they seem to come back saying they couldn’t really hear it?! Yet whenever the car is at home and I start it from cold, it’s blatantly obvious, as per the blue R video.

Obviously you need to be in the car when they start it so they can't pull the hoary old "We can't hear anything unusual" routine.  That might just "improve" their hearing ....

On 11/02/2020 at 18:37, Starnzy said:

BTW this is the best example I’ve found of the same noise, on another R. This is EXACTLY what mine is like.

my Nov 2015 R has done this from new, only when car has been stood a while. Hotter the oil, the less time I have to leave it to make the noise. Defo something oil pressure related.