R7MW

Migration from Mercedes to VW

Good evening all, I would just Like to introduce myself! I'm Michael currently living in Chelmsford Essex, married with 2 under 5 and another on the way.

48 in July and I believe it's called a midlife crisis! I'm looking to purchase a Lapis Blue Golf R. I've never owned a VW numerous BMW and Mercedes models..  I'm just bored of their offerings and want something that wont bankrupt me and give me the 20 year ago feeling ... with reliability and performance.

I'm looking at a budget of upto £20k. Would like auto or DSG? 

Well lots to search on the forum. Thanks for letting me join.

Hi Michael, 

Welcome to the forum.

With 2 under 5's I guess you would be looking at a 5 door, DSG seems to be the popular choice but its probably best to drive both and see what you think for yourself. With a budget of £20k there are plenty of Pre facelift models available, check service history to make sure Haldex and DSG services have been carried out if and where applicable.

Take your time and you won't be disappointed.

Happy Hunting.

Thanks for the welcome... it will be a kid free zone! My wife has a newish Ford Kuga for all those duties.. although I do prefer the look of the 5 door. 

12 hours ago, R7MW said:

Good evening all, I would just Like to introduce myself! I'm Michael currently living in Chelmsford Essex, married with 2 under 5 and another on the way.

48 in July and I believe it's called a midlife crisis! I'm looking to purchase a Lapis Blue Golf R. I've never owned a VW numerous BMW and Mercedes models..  I'm just bored of their offerings and want something that wont bankrupt me and give me the 20 year ago feeling ... with reliability and performance.

I'm looking at a budget of upto £20k. Would like auto or DSG? 

Well lots to search on the forum. Thanks for letting me join.

Welcome to the forum Michael...:welcome:

Morning all, I haven't really been looking at prices.. where would you need to be price point wise for a facelift? Decent spec.. no moon miles? What year did the facelift come in? Is there a crossover I.e. mk1 mk1.5 mk2? 

Apologies for all the questions as I can raise my budget.

Thanks 

Michael 

default_board_welcome.gif

I'm an Essex boy too born in Chelmsford

There really isn't much in it Mk7, Mk7.5 or WLTP (MK7.75?)

Standard kit is very good it's just extras that you need to consider really and then go for an new and as few miles as your budget stretches to. 2014 on high miles for £16k or nearly new for £30k+ there is very little difference in either.

Main differences are the MK7 has 6 speed DSG, facelift has 7 speed and 10 more bhp (WLTP went back to 300!) But barely noticeable day to day as you can imagine. The 7 speed is smoother and slightly better fuel economy if that is important to you, but more gear changes. Also facelift improved lights and various other cosmetic changes as usual with facelifts.

Looks wise I prefer the MK7 I even limited my search to MK7s as dont like the front end at all but etto and all that.

Option wise there are lots of discussions on here of the merits of DCC, Pro Nav, leather seats, Pano roof, Prets etc etc but all are personally preference, all depends on your driving style and situation.

The DSG isn't an auto in the way most people understand an auto so best to try and take one for a decent test drive and see, I think once you do then you wont want a manual...

Enjoy the hunt for a new car, it's my favourite time and I'm not happy as I think my MK7 is a keeper so I am having to enjoy looking for a new car for the missus instead...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk