Jump to content
Msportman

Shocking Golf R residuals.

Recommended Posts

Just been scouting around Autotrader at early Golf R's 

Glad I didn't buy new, loaded with options and PCP'd the deal. With such poor values my car with all of its factory options 3 years down the line how can people swallow a £18-20 k loss in 3 years.

To keep trading your car for newer examples must be madness. I thought briefly about going 7.5 at one time but now I'm glad I never did with these losses.

I wonder how a A35 optioned up will fare 3 years down the line.

RS3 owners have a much better outlook. I suspect the latest FL RS3 won't be shedding nearly as much cash.

 

I think mine should be stable for a couple more years but I know every car except classics shell money but at least it isn't as bad as a Mondeo!

 

I'll certainly won't be buying my next car new and I may get into something older but is desirable for future investment. At least the R is a fabulous drive I'll try not looking at Autotrader anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just been scouting around Autotrader at early Golf R's 
Glad I didn't buy new, loaded with options and PCP'd the deal. With such poor values my car with all of its factory options 3 years down the line how can people swallow a £18-20 k loss in 3 years.
To keep trading your car for newer examples must be madness. I thought briefly about going 7.5 at one time but now I'm glad I never did with these losses.
I wonder how a A35 optioned up will fare 3 years down the line.
RS3 owners have a much better outlook. I suspect the latest FL RS3 won't be shedding nearly as much cash.
 
I think mine should be stable for a couple more years but I know every car except classics shell money but at least it isn't as bad as a Mondeo!
 
I'll certainly won't be buying my next car new and I may get into something older but is desirable for future investment. At least the R is a fabulous drive I'll try not looking at Autotrader anytime soon.

This depends on a number of things tbh. I paid a tad over £31k for my optioned R in 2016 - full price would’ve been about £36k. I’ve noticed that basic spec, possibly ex pcp cars are low money - the glut of these has depressed prices of standard cars - a couple of VW salesmen admitted to me that finding specced up Rs is difficult plus three door model prices seem to be a little firmer than five door models. On top of that again, this would depend on whether you trade in or sell privately - all a dealer can offer is a warranty which anyone can buy so imo, there’s a lot of things to consider. As for RS3s, prices of them have been massively over inflated for months and tbh, aside from the engine, is there anything particularly special against the R? Yes, it has a nicer interior but the previous gen model just doesn’t handle like the R because of that heavy engine up front - I’ve spoken to one chap who switched from an R to an RS3 and he actually wishes he’d never bothered as the cross country pace just isn’t the same - which has put me off buying one. I’m in a quandary at the mo - change to a 7.5 or modify mine?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:


This depends on a number of things tbh. I paid a tad over £31k for my optioned R in 2016 - full price would’ve been about £36k. I’ve noticed that basic spec, possibly ex pcp cars are low money - the glut of these has depressed prices of standard cars - a couple of VW salesmen admitted to me that finding specced up Rs is difficult plus three door model prices seem to be a little firmer than five door models. On top of that again, this would depend on whether you trade in or sell privately - all a dealer can offer is a warranty which anyone can buy so imo, there’s a lot of things to consider. As for RS3s, prices of them have been massively over inflated for months and tbh, aside from the engine, is there anything particularly special against the R? Yes, it has a nicer interior but the previous gen model just doesn’t handle like the R because of that heavy engine up front - I’ve spoken to one chap who switched from an R to an RS3 and he actually wishes he’d never bothered as the cross country pace just isn’t the same - which has put me off buying one. I’m in a quandary at the mo - change to a 7.5 or modify mine?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

Yeap I paid £27 k 5 month old cancelled order with 5k on the clock for my 3 door example with plenty of options .The RRP was £38k so a 11k saving. Initially I sat with the salesman with a view to buy new. Glad I didn’t.

 

M2 Comp is car of the moment but no deals there I’m afraid .

That and new A45 will be £50k which I can’t swallow spending with other competing factors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, camelsac2002 said:


This depends on a number of things tbh. I paid a tad over £31k for my optioned R in 2016 - full price would’ve been about £36k. I’ve noticed that basic spec, possibly ex pcp cars are low money - the glut of these has depressed prices of standard cars - a couple of VW salesmen admitted to me that finding specced up Rs is difficult plus three door model prices seem to be a little firmer than five door models. On top of that again, this would depend on whether you trade in or sell privately - all a dealer can offer is a warranty which anyone can buy so imo, there’s a lot of things to consider. As for RS3s, prices of them have been massively over inflated for months and tbh, aside from the engine, is there anything particularly special against the R? Yes, it has a nicer interior but the previous gen model just doesn’t handle like the R because of that heavy engine up front - I’ve spoken to one chap who switched from an R to an RS3 and he actually wishes he’d never bothered as the cross country pace just isn’t the same - which has put me off buying one. I’m in a quandary at the mo - change to a 7.5 or modify mine?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

 

The guy in the RS3 you refer to that moved from the Golf R ... did he move to a face lift RS3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Msportman said:

 

Yeap I paid £27 k 5 month old cancelled order with 5k on the clock for my 3 door example with plenty of options .The RRP was £38k so a 11k saving. Initially I sat with the salesman with a view to buy new. Glad I didn’t.

 

M2 Comp is car of the moment but no deals there I’m afraid .

That and new A45 will be £50k which I can’t swallow spending with other competing factors.

 

The M2 Comp is all very well, provided you dont mind RWD 😉

 

Fast in the dry, slow in the wet. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
The guy in the RS3 you refer to that moved from the Golf R ... did he move to a face lift RS3?

No - but even though the late gen 8V car has had its engine lightened, it still regarded as lacking engagement but it’s down to personal choice and on top of that, RS3s are still overpriced and there’s the £450 VED to consider. On top of that, look how easy an R is to tune - for very little outlay, you can have yourself a car that would be faster and still handle better. The five pot noise is the only real thing going for the RS3.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've looked at the R Estate, and things don't seem to be too bad on the residual front (at least not from my perspective as I bought a 6 month old one with 4.5k on the clock). Where there seems to be a fair difference is between 7 and 7.5. I guess the buyer of the R Estate as well as the availability is somewhat different than the hatch. More limited supply should mean stronger residuals, unless no demand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my 2016 new for £31k with a load of options.  Worked out about 16% discount as I managed to get the £2500 or £2000 PCP incentive which I promptly paid off after a week.

 

If you buy right you offset a lot of the depreciation.  Plus mine is 3dr, DSG, Oryx White and loaded with a lot of options so desirable and can therefore command a premium over the dearth of lease spec r's out there which nobody wants.

 

Did the same with my old Octavia VRS....specc'd Xenons, Nav Pro, Bluetooth, DSG.  Bought for £21k, did 60k over four years and sold for £10k within half a day of advertising.  Guy didn't even knock me down on price as he said he'd been looking for months for a decent one.  As long as you buy right and look after them I see no need to buy a car on PCP or lease one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes residuals on the R seem slightly less than the GTI, did manage to secure a good discount though on my new R through Orangewheels. Sold my 5 1/2 year old  Mk.7 GTI PP with low miles last year for £15000 which I bought new pre-registered for £28000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve come close to buying a new R a number of times. I’m really glad I didn’t now. 

I bought mine 2 year old on 12k miles for £22k. Its a 3 door, manual in oryx white. I’ve had it 2 years now, its just clocked 20k miles and I’m pretty sure I’d get near enough what i paid for it, looking at the price of what other well spec’d R’s are going for. If I put it up for £20k, I don’t think it would be around long. £2k depreciation in 2 years... I’ll take that.

 

As others have said the well spec’d ones are sought after and definitely hold a better premium than the basic models. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that buying a used r at 2 to 3 years old is the best way for your car to hold its residuals slightly better, even with the 2k dealer contribution on pcp deals I’m sure the finance apr rate will add more than 2k on the car by the time car is paid for unless you pay it off straight after buying the car,looking at autotrader it seems all cars of the same age are more or less the same price with a few exceptions the main difference in price seems to be for dsg rather than manual,all other cars with added options are only a fraction more than cars without extras and it seems you will only ever recoup a small percentage of what the extras cost from factory,I think the mileage of the vehicle will affect it more than extras,for example a standard 2016 dsg r with 20,000 miles on it could still cost as much as a fully specced r on 60,000 miles,the fact that the car can go from £32,000 + to £20,000 or less in 2 years is quite alarming,I think that having extras will make your car more desirable than a car with no extras on similar mileage and most people would definetly look at the specced r first but I don’t believe it will add a lot more to the resale value as most people will still just see a 2016 r,they would however obviously choose the car  with leather and pano roof if car is in same price bracket,most dealers would also just look at car year and mileage before giving you slightly more for extras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, R 4 life said:

I think that buying a used r at 2 to 3 years old is the best way for your car to hold its residuals slightly better, even with the 2k dealer contribution on pcp deals I’m sure the finance apr rate will add more than 2k on the car by the time car is paid for unless you pay it off straight after buying the car,looking at autotrader it seems all cars of the same age are more or less the same price with a few exceptions the main difference in price seems to be for dsg rather than manual,all other cars with added options are only a fraction more than cars without extras and it seems you will only ever recoup a small percentage of what the extras cost from factory,I think the mileage of the vehicle will affect it more than extras,for example a standard 2016 dsg r with 20,000 miles on it could still cost as much as a fully specced r on 60,000 miles,the fact that the car can go from £32,000 + to £20,000 or less in 2 years is quite alarming,I think that having extras will make your car more desirable than a car with no extras on similar mileage and most people would definetly look at the specced r first but I don’t believe it will add more to the resale value as most people will still just see a 2016 r,they would however obviously choose the car  with leather and pano roof if car is in same price bracket,most dealers would also just look at car year and mileage before giving you slightly more for extras.

I got £2k PCP contribution plus another £7 odd k discount.  I then paid off the PCP a week later so it cost me about £17 in interest.

 

I wouldn't want a 2-3 year old R personally!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...