daz05

5 years since release - still the benchmark?

Really good review.

the Golf R really suits the roads up in northern Scotland, it just comes alive.

we go up to Lossiemouth (Moray Firth) a couple times a year.

excellent work and great shots, watched it to the end.. rare for me.

Thanks for the great feedback guys, it's just a hobby and pretty much just me and a camera.  If you can spare the time, some comments, likes and click on subscribe helps me with the youtube algorithms and spreading the video further.  

HAHA 😂 Vauxhall guy is hilarious. 

I used to have an R reg Astra at the same time as my dad got a Mk4 Golf 2.3 V5. Golfs were better than Astras then and they still are. 

Really good review.

the Golf R really suits the roads up in northern Scotland, it just comes alive.

we go up to Lossiemouth (Moray Firth) a couple times a year.

excellent work and great shots, watched it to the end.. rare for me.
Yep I've been to Wales twice in 2 different R's and it comes alive just as you say, I've been to Scotland but that was in my Jaaaaag and this makes me want to go back and enjoy those lovely roads again... can't wait till July though for the Alps which is Scotland 2.0 as far as I am concerned

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, daz05 said:

Can you believe it's been 5 years since the R was released.  I've made a little video of reviewing it while driving some scenic roads in Scotland.  Check it out, would you still buy one today, I think I probably would.

Great video...Nice work...I enjoyed it very much....One of the best Golf R reviews I've seen..and I've seen lots...Also subscribed...:afro:...Well done...I'd buy a Golf R also....(Best car I've ever driven by far)...:wink:

43 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

Yep I've been to Wales twice in 2 different R's and it comes alive just as you say, I've been to Scotland but that was in my Jaaaaag and this makes me want to go back and enjoy those lovely roads again... can't wait till July though for the Alps which is Scotland 2.0 as far as I am concerned emoji41.pngemoji108.png

We have offices up on Anglesey, this means I have the unfortunate task of driving up there quite regularly.

i have drove it in 3 different BMW's, a C63 and the Golf, each a completely different drive.

i think the Golf was the better drive, not the most fun but the better drive.

i do feel sorry for owners that don't get to drive on decent roads and feel their car come alive, it's not all about speed.

I've had plenty of Vauxhalls over the years and to be fair they've all been alright. Never had any real issues with them. The wife is running a Corsa 1.4t vx-line as her commute car. It does feel cheap but it was cheap, it does everything my wife wants from it and she loves it.

Even had a stage 3 Astra H VXR which was great fun but it doesn't compare to the Mk7. The Mk7 R and GTI will go down as one of VAGS best cars without a doubt. 

I had a look at the Astra J VXR when it came out but Vauxhall had turned it into a massive overweight blob, the only thing I liked were the seats. Shame really.

We have offices up on Anglesey, this means I have the unfortunate task of driving up there quite regularly.

i have drove it in 3 different BMW's, a C63 and the Golf, each a completely different drive.

i do feel sorry for owners that don't get to drive on decent roads and feel their car come alive, it's not all about speed.
Yep I have a friend who has a place in Anglesey, we used to stay around Snowdonia but it got too popular and after a few idiots on the Evo triangle it's now just a pretty drive with average speed cameras so we have moved more central around the Elan Valley / Devils Bridge area, not the fastest of roads but great roads that really test out the car and I wasn't disappointed with my R.

I've had plenty of Vauxhalls over the years and to be fair they've all been alright. Never had any real issues with them. The wife is running a Corsa 1.4t vx-line as her commute car. It does feel cheap but it was cheap, it does everything my wife wants from it and she loves it.

Even had a stage 3 Astra H VXR which was great fun but it doesn't compare to the Mk7. The Mk7 R and GTI will go down as one of VAGS best cars without a doubt. 

I had a look at the Astra J VXR when it came out but Vauxhall had turned it into a massive overweight blob, the only thing I liked were the seats. Shame really.

When I was looking for seats I read up on the VXR seats as you can get a rail kit so they fit the MK7. They look nice but ultimately built to a price and not that comfortable long term unfortunately, I did wonder why they were around £500 a pair when Audi wingbacks were £2k+

8 hours ago, Gavras said:

Yeah that's my issue at the moment. I love my R, can't fault it, and I do think it's the best all-round performance car you can get today.

But I don't have any decent roads where I am, at least none within a reasonable driving distance - and even then, once I happen to chance on a good road, I always seem to be stuck behind the slowest driver in the world! Unless someone here who lives in or near Watford can help me out :) 

I test drove a few hot hatches in my time. The only non-VAG car I'd get would've been the A45 but it's a lot of money for a baby AMG. 135i had a silky engine but it was too impractical - boot space and rear leg room was awful.