Richard2

Two year lease over today

Quite.

Not having a go at [mention=22456]Richard2[/mention] but I don't really get this "rather dull" business people go on about. It's a road car, primarily designed for the public road. What do you want, the tail to step out the whole time? I guess maybe you do if you hark back to your first TVR. Just hope I'm not coming the other way when you're having "fun". I spend most of my time on roads where it is hard to go above 60, or motorways. I guess not much different to most people, so how much fun are you ever going to get on the public highway. And let's face it, the public highway is there to get you from A to B, while the track is to have fun, so most driving on them is going to be dull. Having been driving for 40 years, I would have thought you would have appreciated that. You've got the drop on me as I've only been driving for 30 years, but I'd far rather have a "dull" car that gets me home to the wife and kids, than a "fun" car that's going to spear me into a tree the first time I use the loud pedal on anything but a dry road. 
Well I'm sure the Volvo forum will be VERY exciting and fun just like the majority of their cars...

Any car is as much fun as you want it to be and also depends on how you reference fun?

As you say Charles if 'fun' is the rear end stepping out everytime you hit the throttle or weather and road conditions are poor then plenty of cars out there that will hit the spot (and the tree by the road)
but an R isn't one of them. If however (like me) you want a car you can drive all year round, in any weather and o pretty much any surface at any (legal) speed then the R is a great all rounder.
I dont get why some owners on here say the R isn't fun, surely you researched and test drove the car?
I have plenty enough fun in mine

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

i think what richard is getting at is that the r is so capable, thats what makes it dull. The 4wd, the dsg gearbox etc.

It takes more driving skill to drive a M140i for example than the golf r (thats my opinion and I have yet to see a M140i backwards round a bend - I do not consider a M140i to be a car thats a deathwish).

The volvo is actually a very nice car and one I nearly got before the r myself - the r is badly built compared to the volvo - but its at different price points - I'm fed up with the creaking windows (that I have had on no other car than a VW R), the squeeky dash.

I will be honest - I'm in the south east so don't get to use the r to any of its potential very often at all, when I do get to use it I will be honest I had more fun in a type r (the breadvan version) that I sometimes borrowed from my dad (who after the honda type r got a rover 75!)

The r on the right road is a blast, there are some improvements that could be made it is not perfect. I get that we all like the R here which is why we have one, but tbh I don't think Richard is expecting to do donuts around roundabouts etc.

2 hours ago, Charles M said:

Quite.

Not having a go at @Richard2 but I don't really get this "rather dull" business people go on about. It's a road car, primarily designed for the public road. What do you want, the tail to step out the whole time? I guess maybe you do if you hark back to your first TVR. Just hope I'm not coming the other way when you're having "fun". I spend most of my time on roads where it is hard to go above 60, or motorways. I guess not much different to most people, so how much fun are you ever going to get on the public highway. And let's face it, the public highway is there to get you from A to B, while the track is to have fun, so most driving on them is going to be dull. Having been driving for 40 years, I would have thought you would have appreciated that. You've got the drop on me as I've only been driving for 30 years, but I'd far rather have a "dull" car that gets me home to the wife and kids, than a "fun" car that's going to spear me into a tree the first time I use the loud pedal on anything but a dry road. 

Bugger off with your well put together and reasoned argument. :D

10 hours ago, Charles M said:

Quite.

Not having a go at @Richard2 but I don't really get this "rather dull" business people go on about. It's a road car, primarily designed for the public road. What do you want, the tail to step out the whole time? I guess maybe you do if you hark back to your first TVR. Just hope I'm not coming the other way when you're having "fun". I spend most of my time on roads where it is hard to go above 60, or motorways. I guess not much different to most people, so how much fun are you ever going to get on the public highway. And let's face it, the public highway is there to get you from A to B, while the track is to have fun, so most driving on them is going to be dull. Having been driving for 40 years, I would have thought you would have appreciated that. You've got the drop on me as I've only been driving for 30 years, but I'd far rather have a "dull" car that gets me home to the wife and kids, than a "fun" car that's going to spear me into a tree the first time I use the loud pedal on anything but a dry road. 

Good post.

I guess we are all different but one of the *fun* things for me personally is the grip/traction. Last night it was lashing it down with rain and I pulled out of a slip road onto a dual carriageway from work and left everybody for dead. Not dangerous and not full throttle (engine wasn’t fully warmed up) but the fact you lose no traction is very satisfying (for me). Maybe not everyone agrees and would rather have the rear sliding all over the place.

But against a couple of powerful RWD cars I used to have where you have to pussy foot around in the wet, I know what I’d rather have.

I still find mine exciting and Fun,  but I’m still learning the R.  Maybe after a couple of years familiarity I’ll yearn for powerslide oversteer and wailing engine yowl.  But I didn’t buy my R looking for these things, but rather a great breadth of abilities, a certain degree of restraint, but above all massive Competence for the spend.  It’ll probably be the most I spend on a car too.

Richard has had a fantastic range of very desirable vehicles mind, so he’s clearly not just a nay sayer - he’s qualified in my books to give his considered verdict. 😐

And I wouldn’t mind the occasional drive in a C63 or BMW M whatever..!

7 hours ago, NRW said:

And I wouldn’t mind the occasional drive in a C63 or BMW M whatever..!

Had both and soon got bored of the loss of power/traction in the rain/damp and more so the winter months. 510bhp and you can only use about 300 odd, looking at the gauges - else the rears will light up and send you sideways (damp/rain/cold of course). Meanwhile, lesser powerful cars with better traction (such as the R) are overtaking you......

Certainly feels like a handicap IMO, just cant pull out sharpish from a junction or roundabout unless its dry. You buy a car with 500bhp but can only use 300 at certain times of the year .... not much point in these RWD cars unless you do actually want to drive sideways.

Of course, no problem in the dry - but how many dry days do you get in the UK.

Had both and soon got bored of the loss of power/traction in the rain/damp and more so the winter months. 510bhp and you can only use about 300 odd, looking at the gauges - else the rears will light up and send you sideways (damp/rain/cold of course). Meanwhile, lesser powerful cars with better traction (such as the R) are overtaking you......
Certainly feels like a handicap IMO, just cant pull out sharpish from a junction or roundabout unless its dry. You buy a car with 500bhp but can only use 300 at certain times of the year .... not much point in these RWD cars unless you do actually want to drive sideways.

Of course, no problem in the dry - but how many dry days do you get in the UK.
I think the fact his first paragraph mentions mpg and that his original tyres had 4mm left after 2 years and 17k miles shows how he drove the R. To say it isn't fun when you obviously use less than half its capability is just silly imo but there you go, it takes all sorts as they say. I would say this guy is far from your average R owner and I'm sure if I could get over 40mpg then I would find it boring too...

The more blinkered amongst you should try some different things, you might find a little variety enjoyable.

Variety seems to make you dislike everything so not sure thats a good idea if you’re anything to go by - it’s sucked the life out of nearly every car you’ve owned from the sounds of it...!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think what richard is getting at is that the r is so capable, thats what makes it dull. The 4wd, the dsg gearbox etc.

It takes more driving skill to drive a M140i for example than the golf r (thats my opinion and I have yet to see a M140i backwards round a bend - I do not consider a M140i to be a car thats a deathwish).

You’re probably right, that’s likely the thought behind it.

However, that’s just dammed stupid - 4wd is all about traction. If fun is rwd slipping around, why buy 4wd and moan it’s not fun?!

I like a good curry, but I wouldn’t go taste some pizza, then buy a pizza only to then moan that’s it’s not a curry......

Slightly distracted myself now - I wonder if curry would work on a pizza....

Variety seems to make you dislike everything so not sure thats a good idea if you’re anything to go by - it’s sucked the life out of nearly every car you’ve owned from the sounds of it...!!!!

Maybe he owner, not the car... had a fellow manager at work the other week complain to his boss that I give him grief... his boss came and spoke to me and said that I had a problem with him as I have been like this the last 3 sections he worked in. I pointed out that I dont have issues with any of the managers in any of the sections and maybe he should look at the other guy as the problems seem to be following him around...

9 hours ago, keano said:

You’re probably right, that’s likely the thought behind it.

However, that’s just dammed stupid - 4wd is all about traction. If fun is rwd slipping around, why buy 4wd and moan it’s not fun?!

I like a good curry, but I wouldn’t go taste some pizza, then buy a pizza only to then moan that’s it’s not a curry......

Slightly distracted myself now - I wonder if curry would work on a pizza.... emoji23.pngemoji23.png

You have to be driving like a **** to properly unstick a M140i with traction control on. On the missus car with 82 bhp I can spin the front wheels easy (mix of eco tyres a heavy foot).

I do agree a 4wd (well the R is sort of 4wd) is never going to get its ass out, it will grip and grip and grip, eventually will, but then the rear bias of the set up of the haldex is still more front bias than rear bias, its not like subaru proper 4wd system. Think the split is maximum 70/30 on the R, 70 front, 30 rear when going for a "drive". I could be wrong on the split, but I know for sure its more front bias.

You have to be driving like a **** to properly unstick a M140i with traction control on. On the missus car with 82 bhp I can spin the front wheels easy (mix of eco tyres a heavy foot).

I do agree a 4wd (well the R is sort of 4wd) is never going to get its ass out, it will grip and grip and grip, eventually will, but then the rear bias of the set up of the haldex is still more front bias than rear bias, its not like subaru proper 4wd system. Think the split is maximum 70/30 on the R, 70 front, 30 rear when going for a "drive". I could be wrong on the split, but I know for sure its more front bias.
Ah but if you are driving a BMW then you are a **** surely?

Hi,

I dont suppose you got a price to buy it at the end of the lease?

I got one of these cheap r estate deals. Due to go back next March. Was just intrigued to know what the price was? Despite it being ugly I actually quite like and extra room and comes in handy with having the little one. Would seriously consider buying it if the price was ok. Will be the longest I’ve ever kept a car this at the end of the two year lease! 

Hi,

I got one of these cheap r estate deals. Due to go back next March. Was just intrigued to know what the price was? Despite it being ugly I actually quite like and extra room and comes in handy with having the little one. Would seriously consider buying it if the price was ok. Will be the longest I’ve ever kept a car this at the end of the two year lease! 

You will have to find him on Volvo.net or whatever forum...

15 hours ago, Darlo said:

Hi,

I had similar lease, price to buy after 2 years was £23250 with 19k miles.

So I extended my lease for £205 per month. Seemed a no brainer, car will probably go back after the three years. Get something else, fancy something with a bigger engine (probably won't be faster than a golf r) just to say I have had a v8 / v6 etc. Before we are all running around in milk floats