dopper99

2019 WLTP Golf R 0-100km/h launch

Nice sounds and one or two other measurements, but they managed 0-100km/h in 4.5s from a 2019 WLTP R. Car has done 7000km.

Interesting that launch control holds the revs at 4K rpm whereas the handbook says launch at 3200rpm.

Someone on an Audi forum has noticed the increased rev hold for launch too so I guess they've changed it.

My own (non VAG) car with aftermarket management has it's launch control set to an ideal of around 4k rpm so 3200 was always a bit low :)

I think all 7r's hold revs at 4k unless you back off the throttle a little. My 7.5 pre-WLTP can launch at 2.5k, 3.2k and 4k. At 4k there is a slight delay after releasing the brake pedal, at the other revs its instant launch. 

I think all 7r's hold revs at 4k unless you back off the throttle a little. My 7.5 pre-WLTP can launch at 2.5k, 3.2k and 4k. At 4k there is a slight delay after releasing the brake pedal, at the other revs its instant launch. 

Well that’s an excuse for testing launch control if ever I’ve read one - never knew you could adjust the launch revs. Always thought it was just smash it and go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Automann videos - straight to the point (usually), and lots of focus on sound. For those with a MK7 R, here's the equivalent video:

Here is his video of the pre-WLTP, Facelift Akrapovic version:

And lastly - a speed video with the same Akro / 7.5 pre-WLTP car:

What's interesting is the Akropovic version with 310PS was 0.1s slower to 62mph than the post-WLTP 300PS version. Though lots of factors when it's that marginal difference - wind speed, tyres and road surface mainly. Even though the 310PS version had Performance Pack Michelin Cup tyres on!

I also think the post-WLTP sounds better and is definitely louder. I didn't like the lack of DSG fart, but now I prefer the softer "pop" - can't describe it other than it sounds more grown-up and less raspy. Reminds me of the Mercedes 2.0L hot hatch gear changes in the CLA / A45, A35 etc.

For example compare the MK7 video @1:50 to the Post-WLTP @ 0:50.

But if we're talking about the greatest car sound in the world right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzCL8wQ8FLI&t=200s @ 3:20

Always find it amusing that people go on about the sound so much. To me, and yes we're all different, it is the least important aspect of the car. Its a 4cyl and sounds like one, and always will sound like one. It's a bit like if your todger is a bit under endowed, and you shave it, thinking that it will look bigger and be on par with the big boys.

2 hours ago, Ignition1 said:

What's interesting is the Akropovic version with 310PS was 0.1s slower to 62mph than the post-WLTP 300PS version. Though lots of factors when it's that marginal difference - wind speed, tyres and road surface mainly. Even though the 310PS version had Performance Pack Michelin Cup tyres on!

I also think the post-WLTP sounds better and is definitely louder. I didn't like the lack of DSG fart, but now I prefer the softer "pop" - can't describe it other than it sounds more grown-up and less raspy. Reminds me of the Mercedes 2.0L hot hatch gear changes in the CLA / A45, A35 etc.

For example compare the MK7 video @1:50 to the Post-WLTP @ 0:50.

But if we're talking about the greatest car sound in the world right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzCL8wQ8FLI&t=200s @ 3:20

I can tell you now, post WLTP with Akro is quite a bit quieter than pre-WLTP with Akro.

WLTP version sounds muffled in comparison.

On launch (at least with the Akro), all the exhaust valves are opened fully and the noise it makes pre-launch is absurd - many times normal levels when not launching. Valve control is programmed differently with the Akro compared to normal exhaust.

You can't compare a launch in one video with non launch from another.

Although video comparisons for volume levels and even sound in general are useless anyway - microphones/recording equipment will adjust gain to prevent clipping or will just clip and of course it depending on exact microphone positioning and distance. I've heard quite a few Akro launches on videos and most of them sound nothing like it does in reality, due to the sound overwhelming the microphone.

20 hours ago, Ignition1 said:

I love Automann videos - straight to the point (usually), and lots of focus on sound. For those with a MK7 R, here's the equivalent video:

Here is his video of the pre-WLTP, Facelift Akrapovic version:

And lastly - a speed video with the same Akro / 7.5 pre-WLTP car:

I love watching his vids as well...:afro:

On 18/06/2019 at 14:07, blower said:

I can tell you now, post WLTP with Akro is quite a bit quieter than pre-WLTP with Akro.

WLTP version sounds muffled in comparison.

On launch (at least with the Akro), all the exhaust valves are opened fully and the noise it makes pre-launch is absurd - many times normal levels when not launching. Valve control is programmed differently with the Akro compared to normal exhaust.

You can't compare a launch in one video with non launch from another.

Although video comparisons for volume levels and even sound in general are useless anyway - microphones/recording equipment will adjust gain to prevent clipping or will just clip and of course it depending on exact microphone positioning and distance. I've heard quite a few Akro launches on videos and most of them sound nothing like it does in reality, due to the sound overwhelming the microphone.

You may have misunderstood. I meant the MK7.5 Post-WLTP stock exhaust sounds better than the MK7 (and 7.5) Pre-WLTP stock exhaust. At least on videos.

Akro is better than both of course! I haven't seen a comparison from Automann on Pre-WLTP Akro vs Post-WLTP Akro though.

I think the closest comparison we can get is Automann - as I assume he uses the same camera and microphone equipment generally, given they all sound the same. Using my headphones as well, I'd imagine I get the closest representation of sound. But nothing compares to real life as you say.

On 18/06/2019 at 13:13, Charles M said:

Always find it amusing that people go on about the sound so much. To me, and yes we're all different, it is the least important aspect of the car. Its a 4cyl and sounds like one, and always will sound like one. It's a bit like if your todger is a bit under endowed, and you shave it, thinking that it will look bigger and be on par with the big boys.

:D 

At least it's not like the Fiat 595 Abarth