Conks

Golf R for work?

Hi

I'm new to the site so please bear with me.

I've driven the stereotypical heavy 2.0 diesel estate vehicles most of my working life and now in my mid forties I find myself thoroughly bored of them so I'm looking for something different.

I travel approx 40 miles per day up and down the M5 to my office so I was wondering whether a Golf R would work for me.

I want something different. The only thing that causes me uncertainty is whether I'll end up looking like a person having a mid life crisis driving a hot hatch.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Do it, you won't be disappointed. The R is great on the motorway with all the mod cons you could ever want and it blends in well too, it's not like a Type R or RS. You should see high 30's mpg if you drive normally.

Then when you want some fun it's like a sports car

I tried a sort of economy run in the r - i was doing some work in Nottingham - I have the 7.5r estate with DSG (estate only come with dsg) and got 47 mpg on the way up. That was 70 mph where I could, obviously 26 miles of 50mph helped quite a bit.

Last year even driving to Belgium with higher speed limit (80mph) I averaged 42 mpg.

So basically just do it!

Do it. Get one. 

If you are going to have a Mid Life Crisis why not have it driving a Fabulous Golf R.

👍

3 hours ago, Conks said:

Hi

I've driven the stereotypical heavy 2.0 diesel estate vehicles most of my working life and now in my mid forties I find myself thoroughly bored of them so I'm looking for something different.

I travel approx 40 miles per day up and down the M5 to my office so I was wondering whether a Golf R would work for me.

I want something different. The only thing that causes me uncertainty is whether I'll end up looking like a person having a mid life crisis driving a hot hatch.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

But that’s the beauty of a Golf R. It’s the midlife crisis you can get away with....it’s a Golf.  

I think given the mpg that is possible with the R, it would be a great choice for your commute, offering reasonable mpg, comfort, practicality, but with the ability to really wind it up when you want to, and understated but purposeful aesthetics. 

As the others have said.....

Go for it!  

And welcome to the forum!  

Hi

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
:welcome:

Plenty of older guys and girls on here that love the fact that the R looks understated so has all the performance without all the boy racer looks I.e. Focus RS, Type R etc

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have a stage 1 7.5 golf r estate.  Loving it and no one can thinks it's a crisis as it's an estate.  Next car will be electric so a while to wait yet.  Needs to be sub 3 seconds to 60 for me to be interested.

Got 46mpg over 20miles this morning, although was 50mph due to roadworks.  No tailgating though.  Mid 30s is realistic if there is some stop start.  Low 20s around town.

1 hour ago, SpursMadDave said:

:welcome:

Plenty of older guys and girls on here that love the fact that the R looks understated so has all the performance without all the boy racer looks I.e. Focus RS, Type R etc

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This, it does not shout and scream what it is, it just delivers 365 days, no matter the weather and just keeps giving.

had to laugh when the OP said he was mid 40's, that's quite young on here, quite a few are over 50 :)

5 hours ago, Conks said:

The only thing that causes me uncertainty is whether I'll end up looking like a person having a mid life crisis driving a hot hatch.

I don't see the R as being a stand out hot hatch, just the opposite it's a bit of a sleeper..

Mid life crisis cars for me were an A4 Cab and 10 years later an RRS. Equally insane on depreciation costs and fulfilling my vanity at the time.

Sure you'll enjoy the 'R' as a DD , 

Good luck in your choice.

J.

Still loving my R 18 months later doing the 40 miles round trip for work. The car that does everything.

My wife tells me I'm a 60 year old stuck in a 36 year olds body. Apparently I'm just like Larry David

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’d strongly advise you do it, like most on here I’m almost certain you won’t regret it. 

Like you I’m mid 40’s. Mine’s a company car that’s done 26k miles in 18 months  so definitely a daily driver rather than a weekend toy.

Last week I went from Liverpool to Newcastle and back for a meeting.

On the way up on the motorway in comfort mode in atrocious weather it averaged 43mpg.  

On the way back the sun came out so I took it for a blast through the North Yorkshire dales in race mode and it was a completely different beast. 

There can’t be many cars on the market that can change their personality so easily to match the conditions and the mood of the driver.