Conks

Golf R for work?

23 hours ago, Conks said:

The only thing that causes me uncertainty is whether I'll end up looking like a person having a mid life crisis driving a hot hatch.

No chance imo,  the only way an R stands out is if its flying, otherwise its so under stated only an enthusiast  would recognize it for what it really is capable of. 

has to be said.. love my R estate ..

I am also in my early forties, and certainly a fair point regarding midlife crisis .. you won’t be alone ..

fantastic machine.. subtle to look at, can easily driven sedately.. but also has a hooligan side, when and where applicable..

every time I get in.. it brings a smile to my face.. DSG farts are addictive..!

I didn’t get the R for its MPG, it’s not going to be as good as some.. but for me.. ££s per smile is worth it..

the estate (for us) fits in best with our family lifestyle.. big enough boot to throw in all our camping gear etc etc.. and an easy car to drive long distances in..

have got a short break holiday with the lads coming up soon.. going to be driving the R from the UK to Belgium.. to spectate at Spa-Francorchamps GT3 24hr race in July.. should be epic..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, goodbadboy said:

This......What Gary said....I'm not 57 myself, but Gary's point is a good one...:afro:

57 in years, still in mid 20s in my head 😎

On 18/06/2019 at 13:31, Conks said:

Hi

I'm new to the site so please bear with me.

I've driven the stereotypical heavy 2.0 diesel estate vehicles most of my working life and now in my mid forties I find myself thoroughly bored of them so I'm looking for something different.

I travel approx 40 miles per day up and down the M5 to my office so I was wondering whether a Golf R would work for me.

I want something different. The only thing that causes me uncertainty is whether I'll end up looking like a person having a mid life crisis driving a hot hatch.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Has the Forum’s Replies convinced you ?

Can only echo what others have said. I’m early 40’s and went from a Mk7 to Mk7.5 Estate. Absolutely brilliant car and ticks so many boxes. Great practicality as a family car but also great fun when you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Raiden said:

Still loving my R 18 months later doing the 40 miles round trip for work. The car that does everything.

My wife tells me I'm a 60 year old stuck in a 36 year olds body. Apparently I'm just like Larry David emoji85.png

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Surely better than a 36 year old stuck in a 60 year old's body.  Let's hope your wife agrees. :smiley:

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 08:31, Conks said:

The only thing that causes me uncertainty is whether I'll end up looking like a person having a mid life crisis driving a hot hatch.

Kudos to everyone for making such a persuasive case for Conka to take the plunge.  To which I'd remind him that what other people think of you is none of your business. :smiley:

18 hours ago, NRW said:

Has the Forum’s Replies convinced you ?

Seems the OP has gone AWOL!!!! Joined the forum, posted one post then disappeared!

Maybe he's gone off to other forums to post the same thread. 😊

11 minutes ago, dopper99 said:

Seems the OP has gone AWOL!!!! Joined the forum, posted one post then disappeared!

Maybe he's gone off to other forums to post the same thread. 😊

“Buy a Golf R”  really is the answer to nearly all questions.  Just ask VWROC.

I'm 52 and the R is just right IMO. Not a chavvy vehicle but a mature great car for the family duties but great on a back road and sensible running costs. And if you fancy the odd bit of tuning they are a great platform with a great compliant chassis. It the sort of car you can turn up anywhere and people in the know will know exactly what it is 😃

I love the R. I don't get the MPG that others on here get. Max I've seen is a very rare 41mpg but only provided it's steady, flowing traffic at 50mph on a flat gradient. Then again, even when driving fast in S + Manual, I'll rarely get less than 30 but usually because things slow me down like other cars, speed cameras and roundabouts :)

I drive it for work and because of how they pay me, I only get 21p per mile rather than the HMRC max of 45p (I think). My previous project office was a 44 mile round trip - which got me £9.24 per trip.

Now 350 miles seems to be my average range on a full tank, and costs abut £80 using Tesco Momentum (based on filling it from half tank being £40). That's 22p per mile. So I was making a 1p a mile LOSS despite my "travel being paid for". 

Fun drive though - I made the most of that 1p loss.