mp2811

5 year Anniversy my story

Today my Car turned 5. It's a black DSG it's been a fun 5 years driving and modding but not without issues too. It's done 61k km. 

To start off VW dealers here were not good to deal with and took to the 4th one before I dealt with something that treated me well and hence got the sale. 

I bought stock model in DSG, didn't think it was worth $3k for leather interior and not a fan of sunroof. 

I started off getting car Opti coated which I would highly recommed and has made car easy to maintain. 

I have since gone stage 1 APR tune after 6 months of ownership, not that it wasn't good to drive standard but I wanted more. It's the best thing you can do on these cars as totally takes the performance to another level. 

I then added intake for some nice induction sounds and as I found the stock modes increasingly annoying I got DSG tune done at same time as installing inlet pipe, TMD and spulen boost pipe kit and GFB DV+ all have worked as they should and no issues at all, nice induction sounds which I personally love. Car was about 12 months old at that time IIRC. 

I then added the Pedal box and that even after tune was massive improvement on throttle resposne and as many on here know almost a must on these cars. 

I have then Added the BCS DP and stage 2 tune when car was about 2 years old. Rear sway bar and end links added at same time to improve the handling, not that It was needed but I thought with stage 2 power I might end up going into some corners slightly faster and nice to remove the understeer. I think this combo more than enough for daily car that isn't tracked. 

Last mods were around 18 months ago when I added BCS res delete and APR bangs and pops tune which gives car nice sporty note when activated and still reserved enough when cruising around in D mode. 

I've enjoyed the modding process and being on forums sharing knowledge and journey along the way and I can't imagine a better driving car that wouldn't cost a small fortune here in Aust. 

The negatives I've had is Water pump failed the plastic housing cracked well known issue but out of warranty so paid to repair, not long after that the Haldex not working correctly and again repaired same out of warranty. On replacing it the filter was completely clogged which was strange as serviced prob only 6 months before at good idependent garage.  I also had my battery die and needed mechanic to come to my house and check car and then take to garage to replace, he wa awesome and lend me worshop car overnight so I could get to work. 

I've been unlucky and had someone open car door into mine causing minor dent early on and couple weeks ago some a hole has keyed my car causing fine scratch on most of passenger side, the sad world we live in, where people don't appreciate or respect each others property. 

Overall very happy with car and way its modified to where it is now and will just maintain well and planning on keeping long term. 

If I was buying  a car today i would still get the 7.5R now as in Australia they come pretty much fully loaded. I'd get the upgraded stereo, no sunroof and it's easy 10-15k cheaper than similar spec s3. My wife drives FL s3 and makes my car feel dated inside with the digital screen etc which the 7.5R now has. The New Bmw 135ix would be a good rival here once it arrives and we will look at them to replace wife's car at end of lease early next year. 

Nice write up, sounds like you have loved the car and done the KMs to have enjoyed all those performance mods.

The work you have had to have done sounds all to similar, I have had 2 Rs, the first I owned for just 3 months but the thermostat housing went, the 2nd I have owned for 8 months now and just had a new water pump! As for the Haldex sounds like whoever's serviced it just changed the oil maybe?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, mp2811 said:

Today my Car turned 5. It's a black DSG it's been a fun 5 years driving and modding but not without issues too. It's done 61k km. 

To start off VW dealers here were not good to deal with and took to the 4th one before I dealt with something that treated me well and hence got the sale. 

I bought stock model in DSG, didn't think it was worth $3k for leather interior and not a fan of sunroof. 

I started off getting car Opti coated which I would highly recommed and has made car easy to maintain. 

I have since gone stage 1 APR tune after 6 months of ownership, not that it wasn't good to drive standard but I wanted more. It's the best thing you can do on these cars as totally takes the performance to another level. 

I then added intake for some nice induction sounds and as I found the stock modes increasingly annoying I got DSG tune done at same time as installing inlet pipe, TMD and spulen boost pipe kit and GFB DV+ all have worked as they should and no issues at all, nice induction sounds which I personally love. Car was about 12 months old at that time IIRC. 

I then added the Pedal box and that even after tune was massive improvement on throttle resposne and as many on here know almost a must on these cars. 

I have then Added the BCS DP and stage 2 tune when car was about 2 years old. Rear sway bar and end links added at same time to improve the handling, not that It was needed but I thought with stage 2 power I might end up going into some corners slightly faster and nice to remove the understeer. I think this combo more than enough for daily car that isn't tracked. 

Last mods were around 18 months ago when I added BCS res delete and APR bangs and pops tune which gives car nice sporty note when activated and still reserved enough when cruising around in D mode. 

I've enjoyed the modding process and being on forums sharing knowledge and journey along the way and I can't imagine a better driving car that wouldn't cost a small fortune here in Aust. 

The negatives I've had is Water pump failed the plastic housing cracked well known issue but out of warranty so paid to repair, not long after that the Haldex not working correctly and again repaired same out of warranty. On replacing it the filter was completely clogged which was strange as serviced prob only 6 months before at good idependent garage.  I also had my battery die and needed mechanic to come to my house and check car and then take to garage to replace, he wa awesome and lend me worshop car overnight so I could get to work. 

I've been unlucky and had someone open car door into mine causing minor dent early on and couple weeks ago some a hole has keyed my car causing fine scratch on most of passenger side, the sad world we live in, where people don't appreciate or respect each others property. 

Overall very happy with car and way its modified to where it is now and will just maintain well and planning on keeping long term. 

If I was buying  a car today i would still get the 7.5R now as in Australia they come pretty much fully loaded. I'd get the upgraded stereo, no sunroof and it's easy 10-15k cheaper than similar spec s3. My wife drives FL s3 and makes my car feel dated inside with the digital screen etc which the 7.5R now has. The New Bmw 135ix would be a good rival here once it arrives and we will look at them to replace wife's car at end of lease early next year. 

A very nice summary for its 5th anniversary!    

It’s always great to read of a longer term ownership -  the progress, ups and downs over the years.  It’s such a good car that it’s no wonder you (and many others, self included)  are hanging onto theirs or swapping for another in 7.5 form.  Testament to a great car.  

Glad you are still loving it!   Just one thing missing!   An anniversary pic!  Especially it being a black R!  

3 hours ago, mp2811 said:

Happy Anniversary...Where's the pic?...:smiley::lol:;)....Nice write up...:)