NRW

What did you pass your Driving Test in?

1978 FIAT 127 1050 CL 

August 1985

Second time around I passed.    I sweated so much my hands where slipping on the steering wheel . 

Would never be be able to pass today 

I have been practicing the online tests with my 18 year old son who is learning to drive 

I’ve failed so many times !

1st time pass 13th December 1971, taught in a Triumph Toledo which my instructor changed for a brand new Triumph 1500 a week before my test.

Both with drum brakes all round and a 4 speed gearbox, I never knew / realised this then but the Toledo was rear wheel drive and the 1500 front wheel drive.

A few weeks after my Uncle let me drive his Cortina Mk2 estate with 3 speed auto !   😃  WoW those were the days !

toledo.jpg

1500.jpg

On 14/08/2019 at 17:06, Niknok said:

Passed first time, failure was simply not an option.

This Now generation don’t seem to bother.  Not competitive. My eldest Nephew took FOUR Tests  before he passed, convinced He knew more about driving than the Tester.  His younger bro passed last weekend, second time, age 17.

car bought, serviced, MOT’d, Insured Taxed.  Mobile at17 for c.£3k all in. (10 plate Vauxhall Corsa, 1.0)  Nice when you’re 17.

Neeed to keep quiet if you passed First time these days, so as not to be over competitive I’m advised. 🤨

On 15/08/2019 at 00:27, mac351c said:

1978 FIAT 127 1050 CL 

Remember these... had use of an Aunts’s Black- with-orange- stripe Fiat 127 Abarth (70hp) around 1980.   What a treat that was at 17.  Thought I was Top Banana! Haha.

2 hours ago, NRW said:

This Now generation don’t seem to bother.  Not competitive. My eldest Nephew took FOUR Tests  before he passed, convinced He knew more about driving than the Tester.  His younger bro passed last weekend, second time, age 17.

car bought, serviced, MOT’d, Insured Taxed.  Mobile at17 for c.£3k all in. (10 plate Vauxhall Corsa, 1.0)  Nice when you’re 17.

Neeed to keep quiet if you passed First time these days, so as not to be over competitive I’m advised. 🤨

Glad they passed and got on the road. 

I grew up before all this cuddling we see these days. I’m proud that I passed first time with only 3 minors. 2 of them were for not making progress, safe to say I don’t suffer from that anymore. 😂

5 hours ago, PJD said:

Red Mk 4 Ford Cortina Estate, Reg: BUT914T 

It’s a while since I remember last seeing a Cortina Estate - probably now regarded a Classic😀. Modern equivalent apparently 3 series BM.

1L ecoboost fiesta, was harder for me to use a driving schools car, so out right purchased, had controls for instructor done & learnt & took my test in it, 1 minor (which was debatable lol) but....best day of my life! car didn't stay standard too long as can see lol

48557570651_95a5d55e1c_b.jpg29497104_806646119519371_1595230896025309174_n by Lewman, on Flickr 

15 minutes ago, r600_clubsport said:

1L ecoboost fiesta, was harder for me to use a driving schools car, so out right purchased, had controls for instructor done & learnt & took my test in it, 1 minor (which was debatable lol) but....best day of my life! car didn't stay standard too long as can see lol

48557570651_95a5d55e1c_b.jpg29497104_806646119519371_1595230896025309174_n by Lewman, on Flickr 

Hi Lewman. Nice Fiesta.  Great cars/any engine.  Amazing chassis - witness how well regarded the ST models are..  my Lovely wife got on of the last in June 17.  A gem.😀

4 minutes ago, NRW said:

Hi Lewman. Nice Fiesta.  Great cars/any engine.  Amazing chassis - witness how well regarded the ST models are..  my Lovely wife got on of the last in June 17.  A gem.😀

Yep, was def a great car, had no issue's with it whatsoever, just it was limited to how far i could go with the power being a powershift/auto, one of the reason's it got sold.  

1 hour ago, r600_clubsport said:

Yep, was def a great car, had no issue's with it whatsoever, just it was limited to how far i could go with the power being a powershift/auto, one of the reason's it got sold.  

A Fiesta ST with a VW DSG would be Fun.   I think we’d have one. 

I think it was a late 70s Holden Torana, owned by the driving instructor.

Pretty sure it was auto with the shifter on the column.

Failed the first time, due to faded double yellow lines crossed and an impossibly tight street to attempt a 3-point turn.  

torana.jpg