fraz

virtual dials vs traditional

I've got an X5 as a loan car today as my 7 series is in the garage and the new BMW digital dial are awful.  There's way too much going on and they don't appear to be very configurable, plus most of it is redundant anyway with the HUD.  The HUD is excellent, slightly larger than the one in my car and it has even more detailed junction views.

The latest idrive is less intuitive than the previous version and the controller is a step backwards as well.

I must be easily pleased as I'm happy with both on the Golf R with no real preference.   Going forward I suspect the analogue dash will be phased out completely.  

Wow not so many replies were expected !!!! -

I have the Golf 6 R which I will keep for ever I hope - I've just bought a 2012 AUDI TTRS - 47K miles on clock - again will keep this) 

On the Golf R I suppose there is no bad car ---------until recently it was only traditional dials which is why I wasn't sure what was best -------or preferred by owners.

I've gone off the whole tech thing - I can build a computer etc.......and know all the bits ( but not program) so an not a techno-phobe but recently I'd like to de-tech the car.

I'd like telematics gone ------------even SAT NAV

Just a radio needed and MDA player for MP3's -------------------------

I would have to say the analog dials would be preferred -----------but I would rather have a 7.5 R as it has 306 BHP ----- but even 7 R has 296 BHP so I wouldn't be bothered.

I'm looking forward to the "MK6" GEN TTRS - 5 cylinders ----oh and I'm keeping the GOLF R - !!!

4 hours ago, fraz said:

I have the Golf 6 R which I will keep for ever I hope - I've just bought a 2012 AUDI TTRS - 47K miles on clock - again will keep this) 

On the Golf R I suppose there is no bad car ---------until recently it was only traditional dials which is why I wasn't sure what was best -------or preferred by owners.

I've gone off the whole tech thing - I can build a computer etc.......and know all the bits ( but not program) so an not a techno-phobe but recently I'd like to de-tech the car.

I would have to say the analog dials would be preferred -----------but I would rather have a 7.5 R as it has 306 BHP ----- but even 7 R has 296 BHP so I wouldn't be bothered.

I'm looking forward to the "MK6" GEN TTRS - 5 cylinders ----oh and I'm keeping the GOLF R - !!!

Always interesting when someone says they would like to detech a car but then get really choosy as to what tech they want to keep.

from above, you want to keep the radio, FM I guess and not that DAB technology.

what about ABS, that was a bit of a technology innovation.

power steering, again a technology improvement

Disc brakes replaced by drums on rear? Imagine 300bhp and drums lol.

get rid of mobile phone integration?

for me I like technology improvements, I still remember buying my first car that had a radio fitted, then buying the first car with power steering.

i love the ability to stream music and not just have pre saved MP3 music, create playlists quickly and easily for various journeys.

What I don't like is tech that is badly thought out and this decision to use touchscreens.

with flat panel displays for showing critical information, there should be limited customisation. 

Touch screens such as the one fitted to the golf are dangerous if used while driving.

then there is allowing drivers to have access to social media in a car, just why, that is another of those not thought out decisions.

5 hours ago, fraz said:

Selective de-tech..

Go the whole hog and fit an 8 track, or even further and replace the starter motor with a handle and a man with a red flag to walk in front of you.

I had to chuckle a little at this thread at my own expense, I'm at that age where my sight is changing and whilst I have no problem reading the number on a golf ball from 10 yards anything in arms length just isn't readable without glasses. Scrolling between oil temperature and digital speed readout is as much dashboard as I need =o)

For you more keen sighted good people , this is roughly what my dashboard looks like without glasses.

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 08.48.58.png

I had to chuckle a little at this thread at my own expense, I'm at that age where my sight is changing and whilst I have no problem reading the number on a golf ball from 10 yards anything in arms length just isn't readable without glasses. Scrolling between oil temperature and digital speed readout is as much dashboard as I need =o)
For you more keen sighted good people , this is roughly what my dashboard looks like without glasses.

1079750630_ScreenShot2019-07-03at08_48_58.png.81d35a11ca183c4abcd126fb36c5346a.png
a27ad937f9d089ac642206e7da23fc92.gif

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Always interesting when someone says they would like to detech a car but then get really choosy as to what tech they want to keep.

from above, you want to keep the radio, FM I guess and not that DAB technology.

what about ABS, that was a bit of a technology innovation.

power steering, again a technology improvement

Disc brakes replaced by drums on rear? Imagine 300bhp and drums lol.

get rid of mobile phone integration?

for me I like technology improvements, I still remember buying my first car that had a radio fitted, then buying the first car with power steering.

i love the ability to stream music and not just have pre saved MP3 music, create playlists quickly and easily for various journeys.

What I don't like is tech that is badly thought out and this decision to use touchscreens.

with flat panel displays for showing critical information, there should be limited customisation. 

Touch screens such as the one fitted to the golf are dangerous if used while driving.

then there is allowing drivers to have access to social media in a car, just why, that is another of those not thought out decisions.

I'm all for a bit of tech in terms of safety but like you say it just seems that tech is being rammed down our throats whether we like it or not and if you moan then you are seen as a dinosaur I guess we all turn in to our parents at some point

I love a bit of tech but only up to a point, for instance I've had several cars that could play a DVD but never actually played one although now it wouldn't actually be physical media would it. I love my music but I dont want to be messing around with it so I just have a big selection and skip tracks if its something I'm not in the mood for...

SatNav I would miss if it was somewhere unfamiliar, so much easier to listen out for directions than look at signs I find but etto and all that

51 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

I'm all for a bit of tech in terms of safety but like you say it just seems that tech is being rammed down our throats whether we like it or not and if you moan then you are seen as a dinosaur I guess we all turn in to our parents at some point emoji1787.png

I love a bit of tech but only up to a point, for instance I've had several cars that could play a DVD but never actually played one although now it wouldn't actually be physical media would it. I love my music but I dont want to be messing around with it so I just have a big selection and skip tracks if its something I'm not in the mood for...

SatNav I would miss if it was somewhere unfamiliar, so much easier to listen out for directions than look at signs I find but etto and all that

Lets face it no one would miss the Golfs Sat Nav, its that shit it would not be able to find itself.

DVD's in cars has always confused me, understand if for rear passengers or even front passanger if separate screen, however invariably it plays on drivers display. 

Possibly this is where the Porsche model fits, sell a basic spec car and then lots of individual options, it would cost more however would allow greater tailorability.

i like Tech but I like functional minimalistic tech.

to me HUD is a prime example of tech at its best, provides great driver information, it's simple information, it's on eye line.

a great example of pointless tech, I have a pair of Sony WH-1000xm3 headphones, brilliant but they have now added Alexa. Why would I want to sit on a train or plane with headphones on and ask Alexa to do something such as play artist xxx.

totally pointless, can't wait for some fuckwit to use the function.

Lets face it no one would miss the Golfs Sat Nav, its that shit it would not be able to find itself.

DVD's in cars has always confused me, understand if for rear passengers or even front passanger if separate screen, however invariably it plays on drivers display. 

Possibly this is where the Porsche model fits, sell a basic spec car and then lots of individual options, it would cost more however would allow greater tailorability.

i like Tech but I like functional minimalistic tech.

to me HUD is a prime example of tech at its best, provides great driver information, it's simple information, it's on eye line.

a great example of pointless tech, I have a pair of Sony WH-1000xm3 headphones, brilliant but they have now added Alexa. Why would I want to sit on a train or plane with headphones on and ask Alexa to do something such as play artist xxx.

totally pointless, can't wait for some fuckwit to use the function.

Yeah certainly wouldn't miss the VW nav I have hardly used it!

A nice HUD would be excellent.

As for Alexa everything seems to be getting it, kettles, coffee machines ffs!

My Yamaha amp worked flawlessly with my nas drive until a recent update which added voice recognition...

I have the digital dash. To start with, I weaved merrily all over the road, messing with it. Within a few hundred miles, I found the settings I liked and never touched it again.

Having nav in the centre may be marginally useful but I use either Google Maps or TomTom Go on Carplay in preference to car's system. I just have oil temp there ...

I have the digital dash. To start with, I weaved merrily all over the road, messing with it. Within a few hundred miles, I found the settings I liked and never touched it again.

Having nav in the centre may be marginally useful but I use either Google Maps or TomTom Go on Carplay in preference to car's system. I just have oil temp there ...
Snap. Although I usually have range (the wife gets anxiety issues if she cant see how many miles we have in the tank) and I flick to oil temp when pushing on.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Tbh I don't mind the digital dash (which I have) or the dials.

Either would do me fine tbh.

The digital dash was a bit dissapointing at first as I was hoping it would be like the audi one, mate of mine has a new a class on order, but when he had the car for the 48 hours bought it over to mine, its amazing in two years how crap the golfs digital dash is compared to the newer cars.

Whether the mk8 has all the touch stuff similar to the audi a6 etc we will see, personally I prefer some buttons to use, I quite like the golf the way it has the touch screen for the radio etc, and physical buttons for air con etc, I can do next to nothing with my left hand.

I do think the in car tech is getting a bit much, but thats just the way things are going - maybe just keep the r forever - although would have to replace the rear tailpipes as I think they will look crap after 5 years let alone 10!